W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsipidMonkey View Post
Attachment 2039070

Sorry for the delay with the pictures, I've been busy and haven't had time to clean her up yet. Hopefully getting a full detail this weekend.

So far I've fired up E-Sys and done a bunch of coding, including VLD, GFHB, and TJA (using the Quidzel module). Put 800 miles on it last weekend and averaged 30 mpg for the trip. Really impressed with the power and handling. The torque-vectoring rear diff really makes a difference!

Only two issues so far

Windshield wipers were smearing like crazy at the start of the drive. A thorough cleaning of the windshield and new blades took care of that.

Occasionally after being parked for a few hours I'll notice the right rear suspension is deflated. As soon as the car is started it inflates and I've noticed no problems when driving. I figure it's either a small leak in the bag or fitting to the air line. Should be straightforward to replace, I've done it before on my E61.

Next up will be map update, Stage 1 ECU tune (Malone or DUDMD), and brake upgrade (50i or MPBK?), along with a full fluid change (engine, transmission, transfer case, and diffs).

Will try to get some better pictures up soon. Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice!
Beautiful A52. Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #24
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep
Drives: N54 E61, N57 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Beautiful A52. Congratulations!
Thank you! My search was entirely focused on a specific combination of options, so the color was secondary. It has really grown on me though, especially with the Terra interior!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #25
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Thank you! My search was entirely focused on a specific combination of options, so the color was secondary. It has really grown on me though, especially with the Terra interior!
Yeah, that dark brown is awesome color. This was really nice find. How much was it - if you don't mind asking?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #26
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Here is my buyers guide for x5 f15 35d

Just went through the same process my self.
This is what I found so far:
Fuel economy of 35d is amazing - 32+mpg hwy

Prior to purchase of any vehicle, get a BMW specific code scanner (carly or something similar - plenty of them out there), and scan the car. Even if there is no check engine light, there could be underlying codes that would be indicating a potential problem. This is a MUST! Codes will tell you a health of the vehicle. When pulling codes check for following:
Mileage discrepancy, how long has been since check engine reset (codes reset), if OBD is ready, etc. What you are trying to figure out is how long have these codes been on there. If there are no codes, did someone wipe them shortly before trying to sell the car (trying to hide potential issues).

Issues:
Injectors are sensitive to bad fuel. So proper maintenance is a must. If the fuel filter was not replaced regularly, then injectors might be clogged up. It's not difficult to replace them nor expensive. Just a bit tedious.

Carbon build up is another potential issue. It's not as bad as older M57 engines, but it still happens. Most issues happening on this engine could be related to the carbon build up.

Gasket leaks are also common especially with higher mileage vehicles. It's common for any car, but at around 60-80k miles, some of your gaskets will start to leak (oil pan, valve cover, differentials, rear crank seal, etc.). Parts are cheap, but repairs require a lot of time. Time = $$$

Air suspension is prone to issues: leaky airbags, bad compressor, leaky lines, bad sensors, etc. Not too expensive to replace your self, but it might cause you some headache in the long run.

Driver seat can develop rips along the edge of the seat (above the seat controls). Warranty covers this - if you still have it.

Weather striping along the door can develop cracks. Cheap and easy to replace, also covered by warranty.

Steering column tends to develop some issues - car has easy in / out, where the column moves every time you enter or exit the vehicle. This puts extra stress on the mechanism, thus causing potential for failure.

Check all windows, doors, and trunk if they are operating properly.

Remove front carpets and see if there is moisture under the front passenger foot-well. Drain can become clogged and water might enter into the cabin, causing mold, smell, rot, and even electrical issues.

Listen to any clunks from the front suspension. Early models had issues with lower wishbones making a clunking noise. There is a service bulletin on this issue.

Where to start:
First - get a brochure for a specific year and study it. So if you are looking at 2015, get 2015 x5 brochure and see what options / packages were available for that year. See what would you like if you were buying a brand new car and start looking for those options. Google is your friend.

What to look for:
Get comfort access - a must. HUD display is nice, but not a must. Line departure is annoying (yes it can be turned off, but it is more of a gimmick then useful). If you can find one with a radar cruise control, get it. Comfort seats are nice, but regular seats are very comfortable as well. Sport package is nice, especially the steering wheel, but seats are stiffer and less comfortable than regular seats.

This might be very unpopular opinion on here, but if you are planning on keeping the longer, don't get M sport package. Look for running boards. M sport makes installation of running boards slightly more burdensome. Running boards will make coming in and out of the car way easier - especially when your kiddo starts walking. Not having 20 inch 315 wide tires gives you more flexibility to tire choice and makes cushier ride.

Air suspension is nice and other optional suspensions are nice (dynamic handling package, etc.). However, even the stock suspension is decent and very comfortable. I would not call it "settling" if you do decide to go with the regular suspension.

Don't bother with B&O sound. H&K is perfectly sufficient.

Leader dashboard is super nice, but not necessarily a must. It brings up the interior on another level.

Shopping:
There is no such site that allows you to search by options. However, what you can do is this: Become familiar with how specific options look like and seek them in pictures. For example, you can easy distinguish between lux and M sport just by looking at the front bumper. use bmw vin decoders (google it) - there is plenty of them, so utilize them.

If the car is still under warranty, do PPI prior or after purchase and address everything through the warranty. Speak to the actual mechanic doing the work and tip them - establish a relationship).

Note: if you have time / know how, lift the car up and inspect the underbelly for any leaks. Engine is encased so well from below, that you will not see any leaks unless you remove: plastic cover, metal skid plate, and oil pan wrap. Only then, you can see the engine and if it has any leaks. Looking under the car without doing this will not reveal any leaks unless they are major.

Maybe I should post this as a separate thread and polish it a bit. But hopefully, you will find this useful.
Is there anything I can ask dealer to check? I found a car in Columbia, MO and I live in Houston. So I can't do all the checks myself.
I thought if I could ask for specific report I would get at least some information before I go there.

thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #27
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovan View Post
Is there anything I can ask dealer to check? I found a car in Columbia, MO and I live in Houston. So I can't do all the checks myself.
I thought if I could ask for specific report I would get at least some information before I go there.

thank you in advance!
I'd find a local mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. You could also have one done at the dealer, but since they're the ones selling it you'd probably be better off finding a third party. Contact some BMW mechanics in the area and see if they'd be willing to do the inspection, and contact the dealer and tell them you're interested pending a PPI.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #28
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd find a local mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. You could also have one done at the dealer, but since they're the ones selling it you'd probably be better off finding a third party. Contact some BMW mechanics in the area and see if they'd be willing to do the inspection, and contact the dealer and tell them you're interested pending a PPI.
Thank you for recommendations!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:12 PM   #29
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I found another one just next to me. It says it has DHP, but vin decoder doesn't have Adaptive suspension pack 'Professional' which I thought is part of DHP.
Can someone help me to figure out the main differences between these two cars? This is what I found so far:
5UXKS4C59F0J99509 - DHP, heated steering wheel, front and rear seats
5UXKS4C55F0J97577 - DHP?, running boards, rear comfort seats
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:57 PM   #30
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep

Quote:
I found another one just next to me. It says it has DHP, but vin decoder doesn't have Adaptive suspension pack 'Professional' which I thought is part of DHP.
Can someone help me to figure out the main differences between these two cars? This is what I found so far:
5UXKS4C59F0J99509 - DHP, heated steering wheel, front and rear seats
5UXKS4C55F0J97577 - DHP?, running boards, rear comfort seats
AFAIK, as long as 2VP is listed it has DHP. Some reports of 7SZ not showing up in VIN decoding of DHP equipped cars:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1417520
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1529239

Here are the rest of the differences in options:
0J99509
ZCW Cold Weather Package <- heated steering wheel, retractable headlight washers
S417A Roller Sun Vizor Rear Door <- not really necessary IMO due to dark tinted privacy glass in rear
S496A Seat Heating Rear
S6FHA Rear Professional Entertainment Center
S6NSA Convenience Phone Expanded Smartphone <- can easily be coded
S6UKA Night Vision With Human Recognition <- recommended!

0J97577
S4FFA Comfort Seats In Rear Passcompartment <- recommended, rear seats move fore/aft and recline, additional padding and bolstering
S300A Emergency Spare Wheel <- handy if you want to switch away from runflats

Last edited by InsipidMonkey; 05-10-2019 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #31
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK, as long as 2VP is listed it has DHP. Some reports of 7SZ not showing up in VIN decoding of DHP equipped cars:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1417520
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1529239

Here are the rest of the differences in options:
0J99509
ZCW Cold Weather Package <- heated steering wheel, retractable headlight washers
S417A Roller Sun Vizor Rear Door <- not really necessary IMO due to dark tinted privacy glass in rear
S496A Seat Heating Rear
S6FHA Rear Professional Entertainment Center
S6NSA Convenience Phone Expanded Smartphone <- can easily be coded
S6UKA Night Vision With Human Recognition <- recommended!

0J97577
S4FFA Comfort Seats In Rear Passcompartment <- recommended, rear seats move fore/aft and recline, additional padding and bolstering
S300A Emergency Spare Wheel <- handy if you want to switch away from runflats
Thanks man!
In this case they are comparable vehicles.
I like cold weather package although I live in Houston and use it 1 week a year I have kids, but they mainly ride with mom and for rare occasions I thought rear entertainment system would be a good idea. it is definitely not a deal breaker. I had Night Vision on my F10, never used it.

If they are both equipped with DHP then I better see the one in Houston today.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #32
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Next up will be map update, Stage 1 ECU tune (Malone or DUDMD), and brake upgrade (50i or MPBK?), along with a full fluid change (engine, transmission, transfer case, and diffs).
Did you do any of planned tunings?

I didn't decide if I wanted to trade my X5 35i to one of the X5 35D. The best case is I am ending up paying $600 to drive out 2015 (2014 manufactured) X5 35D with trading in my 2016 (2016 manufactured) X5 35i with little less options.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #33
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Does anyone have experience with waiting for their build to show up on the market?
My build's must haves:
2016 X5 35D, HUD, Surround View, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Running Boards, Dr Assist and Dr Assist +, DHP, Harman Kardon, Cold Weather Package, Spare Tire
Nice to haves:
CPO, M Pack, ACC, 3rd row, Rear Professional Entertainment Center, Roller Sun Vizor Rear Door, Rear comfort seats, Seat ventilation

I found two similar cars 5UXKS4C59F0J99509 and 5UXKS4C55F0J97577, but both of them 2015 (manufactured in 2014) and both had some accident or damages in Carfax report. Those damages do not bother me a lot, but I thought if I could find something newer (2016) and clean report I could wait a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #34
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with waiting for their build to show up on the market?
My build's must haves:
2016 X5 35D, HUD, Surround View, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Running Boards, Dr Assist and Dr Assist +, DHP, Harman Kardon, Cold Weather Package, Spare Tire
Nice to haves:
CPO, M Pack, ACC, 3rd row, Rear Professional Entertainment Center, Roller Sun Vizor Rear Door, Rear comfort seats, Seat ventilation

I found two similar cars 5UXKS4C59F0J99509 and 5UXKS4C55F0J97577, but both of them 2015 (manufactured in 2014) and both had some accident or damages in Carfax report. Those damages do not bother me a lot, but I thought if I could find something newer (2016) and clean report I could wait a bit.
Many 2016 lease returns are available now (CPO or not). I'd keep an eye on the BMW CPO site (https://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified-used-inventory) and cars.com.

Example: CPO 2016 35d, M sport, 3rd row, HUD, Surround View, DA, CA, H&K, ZCW, Nappa leather, luxury seating package
https://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified/201...KS4C52G0N13454
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #35
A1335
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.5d

Quote:
Any thoughts on 35d reliability vs the 35i?

Does anyone with the 35d regret getting it for any reason? I've never owned a diesel before, but all of my research points to the 35d being the better option.
Possibly!

Bought an ‘14 35d back in December 2016 with around 30k miles. Had 4mo. of full warranty remaining and then a CPO ending Apr. ‘20.

Have only driven around 22k miles since buying, mostly long trips. Very little start/stop driving. Two weeks ago the check engine light came on but I didn’t think much about it. Dealer said he would call in a couple hours. When he called, he said they would need a couple days.

Turned out to be a bad DPF with an approx. $3k bill attached. Of course the CPO covered all but $50 so one might say what’s the problem?

But my thoughts is why would this fail at only 50k miles? So now I don’t know whether to sell, later on this year. Keep and check on extending warranty, etc.

I do love everything about the vehicle. But such part failure at a relatively low mileage is concerning, at least for me. What next could I be in store for?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 03:38 PM   #36
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I am getting close to 60K and not a single issue, love it!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 11:39 PM   #37
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep

Quick update: Recently did the first oil change on the 35d, quick and easy! Did all of the cabin air filters as well, along with some minor mods (eg ash tray delete).

Also, finally got around to installing my Stage 1 ECU tune from Malone Tuning! I'll start a separate thread with more details, but it's been great so far! Install was super easy too now that OBDII flashing is available for the F15. Initial read was about 30 seconds to verify ECU version, sent the file to Malone, and they sent back the Stage 1 tune a few hours later. Flashing took about 20 mins start to finish.
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00