03-12-2024, 06:43 PM   #1
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Check your tubes!

Could this be a problem? I’m thinking…yep lol

These are from my 2016 X5 50i. To be fair the passenger side wasn’t totally separated, it was just cracked. But I broke it apart while checking how big the crack was. The driver side was 100% separated. I wouldn’t have even known unless I occasionally pulled codes (was getting a bank 2 lean code on occasion) as there was never a check engine light. Who knows how long I’ve been driving with it letting in unmetered and unFILTERED air going into the engine 🤦‍♂️

Lesson learned…change those important plastic pieces, my friends! Both tubes were a total of $122 shipped from FCP Euro and carry a lifetime warranty now. Took just over an hour to swap out, and that included figuring out how to take stuff apart to gain access plus a 10 minute call from my mom. 😂
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 06:45 PM   #2
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

For those who are gonna do it…

1. Air box needs to come out. Disconnect both MAF sensors. Take off the top, there are two torx screws in the middle. Loosen intake tubes and remove them from air box flanges. There are two “pop” mounts at the back left and right of the air box. I used a trim removal tool to pop these off. Then air box and front intake part come right off.

2. Loosen/remove v-band clamp for rubber turbo outlet hose. Remove the hose carefully as there is an oring in the joint. Bend hose off to the side so you have access to the bolt holding the intake tube onto the turbo.

3. I already had my PCV rerouted to atmosphere, but you’ll have to pop off the little lock insert and then squeeze the release on the PCV valve at the elbow on the intake tube to get it to release. Both sides. It’s a total pain in the a$$. And you’ll probably break something…likely the connector to the intake elbow. I suggest having the “PCV hose repair kit” on hand for just such an occasion. Orrrr you could get new PCV hoses as they may need to be replaced, too.

4. Wiggle those intake tubes out of there. Check inside the turbo in case some plastic ends up in the short inlet tube. I definitely had some pieces to take out 😬

5. Wiggle your nice, shiny new tubes into place. Might I suggest the slightest coating of oil on the rubber ribs to ease their entry into the inlet tube?

6. Put everything back together. Voila! You’re done! At least for a few years…
Appreciate 2
Chilled363.50
jab23223.50
      03-12-2024, 07:53 PM   #3
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Good write up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfunk88 View Post
1. Air box needs to come out. Disconnect both MAF sensors. Take off the top, there are two torx screws in the middle.
Just FYI, the two torx under the air filters. You don't need to remove them. They bolt that pop in/out piece to the cross brace. The same pop in/out as are on the edges.

So once you disconnect the clamps holding the intake boots to the filter box and remove the MAF sensors. You just gently pull and pop off the entire box up.
Name:  aif_box.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  358.9 KB

Technically you can get away without removing the airbox, but hit does give more flex and puts less strain on the new pipes.
Appreciate 1
tfunk88192.00
      03-12-2024, 07:58 PM   #4
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Good write up.

Just FYI, the two torx under the air filters. You don't need to remove them. They bolt that pop in/out piece to the cross brace. The same pop in/out as are on the edges.
Thanks!

Oh, ha ha thanks for that info! Now I know for next time…unless I forget lol
Appreciate 0