BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-27-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

All-season Run Flat Tires

It's been more then year and half since I investigated this issue, does anyone produce a 20" all-season run flat tire that would fit the 451 style wheels.

I really like the 451 wheels but will not get the performance tires again. If I were to get the 451 wheels again I was thinking of selling the performance tires and replacing them with all-season run flat tires, if I can find any.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 05:37 AM   #2
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post
It's been more then year and half since I investigated this issue, does anyone produce a 20" all-season run flat tire that would fit the 451 style wheels.

I really like the 451 wheels but will not get the performance tires again. If I were to get the 451 wheels again I was thinking of selling the performance tires and replacing them with all-season run flat tires, if I can find any.
HansRobert Could be wrong but isn't there a Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Runflat - That fits 295/45 RF20 110W?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m148b0s807..._Noise%3A_73dB

Don't know if its available in NA.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 06:01 AM   #3
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Have you looked on Tire Rack? A quick search returns the well-discussed Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 in a non-run flat, but the only run flats appear to be summer or winter. This is one of the reasons many folks grab a space saver spare and switch to NRF tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 06:08 AM   #4
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post

I went down a size in order to get run flats and went with 275/40/20 front and rears are 315/35/20 but not sure about all season availability. Just checked tire rack and only see summer or snow, no all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #5
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I would get a spare and get the Conti DWS06. Better ride quality and best all season capability.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #6
TBLM235X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 440i

I kind of wish I would have just checked off this option.

Question for those that the spare came with the vehicle - is there some type of post and fastener system to secure the spare? I ask because I'm wondering if I now buy the spare or spare kit, will I need to secure it somehow?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 04:07 AM   #7
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
If you ordered the car with a spare, the under cargo area will be unfinished with a pin that will hold the spare tire in place (along with a screw to hold the rim in place).

If you didn't not order a spare with the car and you don't have third row seats, the spare will fit in the finished under cargo storage area perfectly. You don't need to fasten it; it will not move around. If you get the factory foam tray, jack, and iron, it will all fit perfectly in hub spare of the steel rim of the spare, all of which will fit in that under cargo storage space.

Now if you have third row seats like I do, I'm afraid you will need to sit it on the top of the folded down third row seats. I have a Weathertech liner for the cargo area and the spare just sits on that. Doesn't slide around or anything. I imagine I would need to be a very serious wreck for that thing to move around.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #8
promtber
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Any cheaper options or other spares that will fit an x5? I'm sure you are paying a premium for BMW. I have M 21" wheels on my car now.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #9
TBLM235X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 440i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
If you ordered the car with a spare, the under cargo area will be unfinished with a pin that will hold the spare tire in place (along with a screw to hold the rim in place).

If you didn't not order a spare with the car and you don't have third row seats, the spare will fit in the finished under cargo storage area perfectly. You don't need to fasten it; it will not move around. If you get the factory foam tray, jack, and iron, it will all fit perfectly in hub spare of the steel rim of the spare, all of which will fit in that under cargo storage space.

Now if you have third row seats like I do, I'm afraid you will need to sit it on the top of the folded down third row seats. I have a Weathertech liner for the cargo area and the spare just sits on that. Doesn't slide around or anything. I imagine I would need to be a very serious wreck for that thing to move around.

Thank-you alphaod! That is exactly the information I was looking for!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Thanks for your collective input. I'm planning on getting a 40e which does not allow for a spare tire (battery takes up the *******. So if I go that route I'll be using the run flat tires and since I won't use performance tires I have no choice but the all season run flat tires. That will not allow for the 451 wheels.

So I'm going that route with the the 448 style wheels. Like my daddy used to tell me, "Son, you can have anything you want but you can't have everything you want!" Another example!
Appreciate 0