BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Bang and Olufsen in the X5 vs HK

Has anyone done a direct comparison in the F15? I have the B&O in my 2014 M5, and love it. It has made my wife's HK in her 2012 X5 sound like crap. Is the HK the same one in the previous body style? Anyone do side by side to determine fidelity? About to order her a new X5 and have the B&O boxed ticked. Just want some opinions. Thx!
      07-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanditz View Post
Has anyone done a direct comparison in the F15? I have the B&O in my 2014 M5, and love it. It has made my wife's HK in her 2012 X5 sound like crap. Is the HK the same one in the previous body style? Anyone do side by side to determine fidelity? About to order her a new X5 and have the B&O boxed ticked. Just want some opinions. Thx!
I'm an audiophile, I have a listening room with sound dampening and bass trapping in my house. The HK system is noticeably better than stock. The BO system is even better, but the cost is out of this world. You'll get much better than the BO for less money if you take the car to a custom shop and have them install new speakers/amps and a high end subwoofer. For me, the BO system, while nice, is just too much money for what you get, if it was 1500 bucks, I would have gotten it. But 4-5K? For that price, you better have bass that can shake the house when your parked in the garage coupled with incredibly powerful, clean, clear and crisp highs. The BO system has good (not great) highs, but the bass is simply not up to par for that kind of money. You need a big woofer (10-12") and serious power (500-1500 watts) to really shake the earth with a sound system.

If you want the best, get the BO and take it to a custom shop and have them drop a W7 in the back. Or, for a huge step down in price, get the HK system and take that to a custom shop for a W7 install. That'll crush the BO system for visceral experience and most people won't notice the lack of some midrange punch.

Or, if you really want to go all out, get the stock system, take it to a custom shop and have them do it up. New speakers all the way around, amps for everything, and a W7 in the back. Probably 3-5K and I'll absolutely humiliate the BO system.

If you're leasing, the BO makes more sense because you are only paying for 40% of it (where you'd have to pay 100% of a custom install). If you're buying longer term, I'd go custom if you want the best.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I did a comparison when I bought my X5. Although the sound was amazing, I couldn't justify the high sticker price. I'm 100% satisfied with the HK system.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep

Any comparison between the 2012 old body style HK and the new HK in the F15?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
TarHawk
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
This isn't exactly what you are asking but may add something of value. Had BO in my Audi S5 and was not impressed. Just got a 2014 X5 with the HK, it blows away the BO from Audi. The HK is very crisp and, IMO, a great deal for the money.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
JSteinMD
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 X5 50i SAV

HK

I had a 2012 X5 50i with the "premium stereo" (I believe it was made by HK but not labeled as such) and now have F15 X5 50i with HK. I have not heard the B&O but I can tell you the the HK in my 2014 is noticeably better than the one in my 2012. I appreciated this from the first day I drove it home from the dealership and cranked it up! I doubt that you will be disappointed with the HK. Save your $.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
Mathme
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X530d

I haven't heard the B&O but I have the HK in my car and it sounds noticeably better than the Bose I had in my Cayenne.

IMHO, if you're on the fence between stock and HK, you won't get a better system for that $850.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #8
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep

Placed my order today and left the B&O. In have it in my M5 and love it. Didn't want to be disappointed and willing to pony up the extra $3600.

Last edited by Propofoln; 07-23-2014 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Keep us posted on your thoughts once you take delivery. No doubt you'll be impressed.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteinMD View Post
I had a 2012 X5 50i with the "premium stereo" (I believe it was made by HK but not labeled as such) and now have F15 X5 50i with HK. I have not heard the B&O but I can tell you the the HK in my 2014 is noticeably better than the one in my 2012. I appreciated this from the first day I drove it home from the dealership and cranked it up! I doubt that you will be disappointed with the HK. Save your $.
This is great to hear. I was really happy with my 2012 'premium stereo'. I'll be glad to keep almost $4k in my pocket!

Does it have the same kind of equalizer that the premium stereo does, or does it just have a bass/mid/treble adjustment like I see in loaners?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #11
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

My son and I had a test drive today in an ultra-optioned 35d MSport ($86k, yo!). It had the B&O and for the life of me, neither I nor my son could get it to sound any better than the 'premium' in our '12 E71. There was excessive messing with the equalizer going on to no avail.

The problem definitely could have been the fact that source material was an iPhone. Perhaps we'd get much better performance from a CD or thumb drive.

Our source material usually consists of: iPhone (iTunes, pandora, youtube) and XM radio. It looks like the B&O would be a colossal waste of money for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:28 PM   #12
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

I have it, SAVE YOUR MONEY coming from a dummy that paid for it!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
My son and I had a test drive today in an ultra-optioned 35d MSport ($86k, yo!). It had the B&O and for the life of me, neither I nor my son could get it to sound any better than the 'premium' in our '12 E71. There was excessive messing with the equalizer going on to no avail.

The problem definitely could have been the fact that source material was an iPhone. Perhaps we'd get much better performance from a CD or thumb drive.

Our source material usually consists of: iPhone (iTunes, pandora, youtube) and XM radio. It looks like the B&O would be a colossal waste of money for me.
Sound over Bluetooth will always be subpar due to the type of connection frequency and interference. If you get a chance, take an AUX cable with you and plug it into your iPhone and into the car's AUX port in the compartment section. You should notice a big difference then. I use that setup with a DAC cable that plugs into my Note 3 (aux port > aux cable > DAC cable > Note 3 micro usb port) and it makes the standard HiFi system actually sound decent without any distortion at all...which is actually the biggest problem with this 9 speaker system. It is terrible in the highs and mediocre in the mids. Play a song that focuses primarily on vocals/clarity of sound and you notice how bad it is in the higher notes. This is why the HK and B&O shine, but I still wouldn't pay that much for the B&O. The HK is solid enough.
      07-24-2014, 11:57 PM   #14
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Sound over Bluetooth will always be subpar due to the type of connection frequency and interference. If you get a chance, take an AUX cable with you and plug it into your iPhone and into the car's AUX port in the compartment section. You should notice a big difference then. I use that setup with a DAC cable that plugs into my Note 3 (aux port > aux cable > DAC cable > Note 3 micro usb port) and it makes the standard HiFi system actually sound decent without any distortion at all...which is actually the biggest problem with this 9 speaker system. It is terrible in the highs and mediocre in the mids. Play a song that focuses primarily on vocals/clarity of sound and you notice how bad it is in the higher notes. This is why the HK and B&O shine, but I still wouldn't pay that much for the B&O. The HK is solid enough.
I wasn't using an AUX cable, but the phone was plugged directly into the car using an iPhone lightening USB cable. I always bring my cable with me on test drives. Sometimes I bring my snap-in adapter, but I stopped that after an i3 fried one. So sad.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 12:16 AM   #15
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

It's not just the connection, it's the source material as well. One thing is listening to 192 VBR MP3 or even a 320, another - FLAC or similar. Still, B&O is a bit too much for the money and you can definitely get a better sounding custom built system. HK is and has always been the way to go in the BMW. In cars like Mercedes or Porsche though - you have to pick the top of the range Burmester, it's just THAT good, blows B&O away.

P.S. But then, who am I to judge, I got screwed by the dealer messing up my HK option pick and got stuck with the default 6 speakers. Two months into ownership now - still can't get used to how bad this thing is. So desperate, that I'm exploring options to bring guys from another country to do the custom installation... will cost me a fortune though, even compared to B&O.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2014, 12:16 AM   #16
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I wasn't using an AUX cable, but the phone was plugged directly into the car using an iPhone lightening USB cable. I always bring my cable with me on test drives. Sometimes I bring my snap-in adapter, but I stopped that after an i3 fried one. So sad.
Ah, I see. I totally forgot the adapter. I don't know if there's any such disruption on the USB cable, but like everyone else said, the HK system is def the way to go. Sorry about your i3 frying experience. I guess that car is too ahead of our time, lol.
      07-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #17
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
P.S. But then, who am I to judge, I got screwed by the dealer messing up my HK option pick and got stuck with the default 6 speakers. Two months into ownership now - still can't get used to how bad this thing is. So desperate, that I'm exploring options to bring guys from another country to do the custom installation... will cost me a fortune though, even compared to B&O.
Oh...that bites.

When I got my '11 E70 35d, I didn't upgrade the stereo because on my test drive(s), the sound system sounded fine. The problem was, when I was testing the sound system, I was in a 50i. They failed to tell me that the 35d had a completely different (and way suckier) system than the 35i and 50i. They tried to convince me that I could have it fixed up aftermarket. Oh ya, I could. But I didn't want to pay that much for a car for it to be a PITA from the get go. I refused delivery of the car and ordered a new one.

I'm glad I wasn't having a car emergency (like I am now...).
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #18
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
It's not just the connection, it's the source material as well. One thing is listening to 192 VBR MP3 or even a 320, another - FLAC or similar. Still, B&O is a bit too much for the money and you can definitely get a better sounding custom built system. HK is and has always been the way to go in the BMW. In cars like Mercedes or Porsche though - you have to pick the top of the range Burmester, it's just THAT good, blows B&O away.

Don't know your area, but taking the stock system up to "much better" really shouldn't cost that much. Get new speakers all the way around (maybe 200 a set, so 600 for 6 speakers) and that should be a pretty big improvement. If you want to go further, have them add an amp and subwoofer; but, even installed, 6 speakers, a good amp and sub shouldn't be more than 2-3K (and will be a lot better than the B&O). If you really want to go for it, have them install amps for all the speakers and a pair of really high end subs. Probably get you into the B&O territory for cost, but it'll melt you mind if you turn it way up and sound incredible.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #19
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
Don't know your area, but taking the stock system up to "much better" really shouldn't cost that much.
Problem (one of many) with Cyprus is that qualified personnel is non-existent here. Imagine a country full of one-armed men - that's how qualified people are here. Don't get me wrong, they're really nice folks in general, but their best work involves putting Kenwood and a large sub into a Suzuki. Budget wise I'm way past 2-3K EUR, but when there's no one to do the installation, budget is useless (unless, again, I bring people over from my home country/town and that will cost probably like a Ford Focus - not yet ready for that)...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #20
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep

Anybody that have the B&O in the X5 like it? I am pretty impressed with it in my m5. The Burmester, I admit, is better, but that is not an option unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #21
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanditz View Post
Glad you asked this question, the feedback helped me greatly!

One other common thread was the leather dash being a worthwhile option. However it appears that I can't get the leather dash with the mocha interior that I want. I thought I'd ask if that is an accurate understanding, or whether there's a special order consideration BMW can do to provide the leather dash in mocha.
      07-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #22
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Glad you asked this question, the feedback helped me greatly!

One other common thread was the leather dash being a worthwhile option. However it appears that I can't get the leather dash with the mocha interior that I want. I thought I'd ask if that is an accurate understanding, or whether there's a special order consideration BMW can do to provide the leather dash in mocha.
Not sure to which Mocha interior you're referring, as there are 2 (Dakota and Nappa). If you're getting just the Mocha Dakota, then unfortunately, you can't order the leather dash. Not sure why that is, but the pricing guide says "nope". You can ask your CA about it, but I'm sure he/she will say that it's not an option.

If you're ordering the full Mocha Nappa design package, then it does come with the leather dash.