03-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
CrEsT
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Driving Modes - what they actually do

Hey guys,

Can someone explain exactly what happens when you go between driving modes?

Keen to understand how the chassis, transmission, etc. are affected.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

This really depends on the options you have.. Specifically suspension option.
      03-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
aw305
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC Alpine White

Slow fast faster lol
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
CrEsT
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
This really depends on the options you have.. Specifically suspension option.
Would be good to document what exactly each options do, could be a good guide for those new buyers.

For example in my M Sport with M Adaptive, does the suspension just stiffens or also lowers the body?

What's the difference between sport and sport+? is it just the limited traction control in sport+?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #5
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Right, on the 2VF ( Adaptive M Suspension ) you have the option to change in the iDrive settings to adjust the chassis and drivetrain both simultaneously or separately. I've not done anything technical and measure the ground clearance with the sport mode engaged so I don't know for sure. I do know that the Msport with 2VF is about 10mm lower than standard suspension X5's. With this suspension option, selecting Sport tightens the suspension ( if chassis is selected in the iDrive menu ) and revs are more aggressive ( if drivetrain is selected ) I don't have the specific details but someone posted valuable information on this a year or so ago. I'm just too lazy to search it right now.
      03-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang
Right, on the 2VF ( Adaptive M Suspension ) you have the option to change in the iDrive settings to adjust the chassis and drivetrain both simultaneously or separately. I've not done anything technical and measure the ground clearance with the sport mode engaged so I don't know for sure. I do know that the Msport with 2VF is about 10mm lower than standard suspension X5's. With this suspension option, selecting Sport tightens the suspension ( if chassis is selected in the iDrive menu ) and revs are more aggressive ( if drivetrain is selected ) I don't have the specific details but someone posted valuable information on this a year or so ago. I'm just too lazy to search it right now.
This sounds accurate to me.

When I had my after market wheels installed, I watched the guy hit sport mode on my F16 X6 and you can visually see the suspension lower on the car.

I usually drive in comfort because the road conditions around here are not friendly for a stiff suspension felt when in sport or sport +.

On the rare occasion when traffic and road conditions give me the opportunity to put the car in sport mode, the suspension tightens and revs get noticeably aggressive, making for a very exciting drive.

My X6 have the all of the available driving enhancement options for the X5/X6 at this time. I only say that because I believe it's the combination of all these factors that make this an impressive handling machine for it's size.