BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Tuning Chips Compared - 30d/35d

Data is for N57 on X5 F15, but the manufacturers below have chips for other F series diesel engines, and this give you a comparative sense.....

I have compiled this list based on the manufacturer's claimed data. Be mindful that each chip maker tests their own way, results are not verified, and some disclose base, while others disclose peak output.

I was prompted to put this together after seeing a record MPG from a car chipped with Maxchip (result posted here:http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=42) I have a duplicate thread for F15, but thought other diesel owners would be interested in this.

9 FEB 15 Edits: more chip suppliers added. price corrected in earlier version of table.
10 FEB 15 Edits: added Evox Systems
12 FEB 15 Edits: Added BMW M Performance Power Kit (top line), added Bluespark Automotive, uploaded BMW MPP PDF and catalog link
14 MAR 15 update: Added TDI Tuning of UK to the list.

PDF -> BMW M Performance Kit for 25d and 30d (35d USA):Attachment 1157309

Last edited by MattBianco; 03-14-2015 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 6
      02-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
coolmex200
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 2016 X5 35i, F25d

My overall has come down slightly (1.5 MPG), but I have been driving WOT all day. It is still on stock settings, and haven't opened the box to increase anything. After three days, I'm starting to feel a difference in the throttle response. Basically, driving ECO Pro, the severe lag in the throttle is gone. It's almost like driving in comfort. While driving in comfort mode, it feels like driving a toned down sports mode. I didn't really drive sports mode since I had the family with me and my wife had surgery a few days ago and didn't want to push it too much. The price is the main reason I went with it. The features seem to compare to Racechip pro...even the box and connector look the same...and I ended up getting it for 165€ with free shipping, so I couldn't pass.
Appreciate 3
      02-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quite pricey, but MaxChip seems ideal for Diesels to utilize that torque: https://maxchip.de/en/catalog/produc...w/category/95/. They, however, don't seem as great for the petrol engines: https://maxchip.de/en/catalog/produc...w/category/95/.
RACECHIP TB ULTIMATE: 507hp (currently at 522 with D setting) and 564 torque
MAXCHIP TUNNING: 477hp (not sure about their settings) and 543.6 torque. Huge price difference as well.
      02-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

CPA may also be worth investigating. Reads very similar to Racechip in its setup and approach.

Last edited by MattBianco; 02-09-2015 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
CPA may also be worth investigating. Reads very similar to racech in its setup and approach.
They only make a F15 35i petrol: http://www.cpa-chiptuning.de/en/chiptuning/BMW-5.htm, but cover all the diesels for the F15: http://www.cpa-chiptuning.de/en/chiptuning/BMW-5.htm. It seems these Euro manufacturers are focused more on the diesel engine .

Last edited by opasha; 02-07-2015 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #6
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

I'm very happy with my racechip ultimate on the 35d. On a the last leg of a 2000+ mile road trip right now and its flawless! Torque from 65-90 mph is just awesome. Huge boost from stock and getting 31.1mpg on the highway 82mph avg. most of the trip so far in comfort mode. I did the first 300 miles in eco pro avg 73mph and got 32.3mpg. I have yet to find the actual fuel range as i'm filling at 1/4 tank but i would bet its over 800 miles on a tank. The range reading keeps going up as you cruise at 80. Lol.
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2015, 04:34 AM   #7
coolmex200
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 2016 X5 35i, F25d

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quite pricey, but MaxChip seems ideal for Diesels to utilize that torque: https://maxchip.de/en/catalog/produc...w/category/95/" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="https://maxchip.de/e...tegory/95/</a>. They, however, don't seem as great for the petrol engines: https://maxchip.de/en/catalog/produc...w/category/95/" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="https://maxchip.de/e...tegory/95/</a>.
RACECHIP TB ULTIMATE: 507hp (currently at 522 with D setting) and 564 torque
MAXCHIP TUNNING: 477hp (not sure about their settings) and 543.6 torque. Huge price difference as well.
The Maxchip tuning is unlike the Racechip ultimate. That's actual tune vs a piggy back like the RC. I thought about it, but it's too much money and I'm happy with the piggy backs...they do come with a warranty. I am thinking about ordering the Racechip Pro just to compare both of them.
Appreciate 3
      02-08-2015, 04:40 AM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmex200 View Post
The Maxchip tuning is unlike the Racechip ultimate. That's actual tune vs a piggy back like the RC. I thought about it, but it's too much money and I'm happy with the piggy backs...they do come with a warranty. I am thinking about ordering the Racechip Pro just to compare both of them.
Agreed. I'm also very content with my piggyback RaceChip TB Ultimate .
      02-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #9
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmex200 View Post
The problem whit there tune and the other flash tunes that exist for our cars is that you can't reconfigure default settings by yourself and if your in a accident etc you are pretty screwed when bmw finds out.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Fixed pricing errors in post #1, added other chip suppliers to list.
      02-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

You can get the RaceChips for almost $100 cheaper though . Not sure if you want to input that or leave it alone.
      02-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
You can get the RaceChips for almost $100 cheaper though . Not sure if you want to input that or leave it alone.
That is valuable input for anyone reading the thread, but to keep the data consistent I think it is better to have the MSRP or manufacturers' website price in the table. More consistent approach.

Other tidbits....mcchip-dkr has a racing team and does custom tuning as well.
      02-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That is valuable input for anyone reading the thread, but to keep the data consistent I think it is better to have the MSRP or manufacturers' website price in the table. More consistent approach.

Other tidbits....mcchip-dkr has a racing team and does custom tuning as well.
Yeah, I figured as much. You're right, better to keep all data straight from the manufacturer consistent. I just wasn't sure if that is where all the pricing info was coming from since you had to adjust it .

Very interesting information. I wish we had more companies in the US like this.
      02-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #14
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
I can't seem to find any reviews on the Maxchip Pro. I would also love to hear the comparison between the Maxchip and Racehip. I have loved my Racechip since I got the car. If Maxchip provides better performance though, I would have no problem switching - especially for the cost.

Please keep us posted on what you select. Coolmex, I think you would need the Racechip Ultimate in order to do a proper comparison.
      02-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #15
oshiri
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30d

Thanks Matt for preparing that comparison. Very useful tool indeed! I too think Maxchip pro looks very tempting, and that, like the RaceChip, is also a piggyback. It does say on the website that the figures for Maxchip are the maximum values as opposed to base values. If anybody has any experience or can find reviews of maxchip, i'd be very keen to hear more!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #16
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Coolmex's review on his other car: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1026299

The fact that he went from 0 to 4 and and no improvement in EcoPro lag doesn't seem very good to me. RaceChip lag is virtually improved when you increase the settings to my knowledge. He also declined from ~24mpg to 21mpg while many have noted improvement in mpg slightly with RaceChip. I'm not sure anything will be accurate without someone testing both on their car. I'll look for more reviews and post .
      02-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #17
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
I can't seem to find any reviews on the Maxchip Pro. ....
Please keep us posted on what you select. Coolmex, I think you would need the Racechip Ultimate in order to do a proper comparison.
I've looked but feedback, even in German sites, is scarce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshiri View Post
Thanks Matt for preparing that comparison. ....
Most welcome....just from the headline numbers I am guessing Maxchip results may be a tad exaggerated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
... I just wasn't sure if that is where all the pricing info was coming from since you had to adjust it .
In the initial table I had transposed digits in the euro pricing on two CPA chips.

General comment:
From my cursory search/research it seems CPA chips are more popular than Maxchip. Also, more widely sold (amazon.de, eBay.de for instance). I am still intrigued by the Micro-Chip Tuning chip, not just because of its tiny size and ease of install (removal for service), but because it looks to be lot like Burger, and does not seem to extract as much power -which would be a good thing for me.
      02-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #18
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Matt -

We know that Racechip is widely regarded and there is no shortage of positive feedback. Moreover, we have had members personally Dyno test the Racechip. Why is Racechip not on your radar?
      02-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #19
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
Matt -

We know that Racechip is widely regarded and there is no shortage of positive feedback. Moreover, we have had members personally Dyno test the Racechip. Why is Racechip not on your radar?
I should have phrased this better. Racechip and Burger are widely discussed in this forum, both with positive feedback. My radar, if you will, is set to discover unknown or lesser known chips, not what we already know -a full inventory of available chips. Hopefully, we can get more people like coolmex200 to chime in, and provide feedback and introduce products that are not as well known.
      02-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #20
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well. woke up to find out that a version of this post I posted in the "General" BMW discussion area had become a front page "featured" article here. Needless to say, my inbox is flooded and am struggling to keep up. But, I got a very interesting chip-maker note.

BR Performance contacted me. Company states they are the first to have cracked BMW ECU's (Bosch computers), and that enabled "AMS Performance to tune the MCLAREN & the new M3/M4/M5/M6". That is a big claim and worth noting. They provided this link, a thread that was also featured: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1066353

Last edited by MattBianco; 02-10-2015 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #21
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Well. woke up to find out that a version of this post I posted in the "General" BMW discussion area had become a front page "featured" article here. Needless to say, my inbox is flooded and am struggling to keep up. But, I got a very interesting chip-maker note.

BR Performance contacted me. Company states they are the first to have cracked BMW ECU's (Bosch computers), and that enabled AMS Performance to tune the MCLAREN & the new M3/M4/M5/M6. That is a big claim and worth noting. They provided this link, a thread that was also featured: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1066353
Cracked the BMW ECU? Through experimentation? Compared to Dinan who actually works with BMW, I know who I would support. Don't get me wrong - I am not promoting Dinan. I am trying to make a point comparing the two.

The link is a better discussion on the use of dyno's rather than the tune itself.

I read the post and it seems like they are an independent shop trying to crack ECU's - there are plenty of these out there. And good for them - I was one of them but using a different ECU rather than trying crack the Porsche DME/ECU. I am in Belgium a couple times a year and might stop by to see what they are doing. But I don't think they are in the same category as the other chip makers and the one tuner you already list.

Again, good job on your hard work. Maybe you'll want to add independent shops to your list for those who don't mind getting involved with experimenting.
      02-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #22
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Cracked the BMW ECU? Through experimentation? Compared to Dinan who actually works with BMW, I know who I would support. Don't get me wrong - I am not promoting Dinan. I am trying to make a point comparing the two.

The link is a better discussion on the use of dyno's rather than the tune itself.

I read the post and it seems like they are an independent shop trying to crack ECU's - there are plenty of these out there. And good for them - I was one of them but using a different ECU rather than trying crack the Porsche DME/ECU. I am in Belgium a couple times a year and might stop by to see what they are doing. But I don't think they are in the same category as the other chip makers and the one tuner you already list.

Again, good job on your hard work. Maybe you'll want to add independent shops to your list for those who don't mind getting involved with experimenting.
There are many respectable tunners that are offering flash tune whit modifying ecu for F modell bmw and it has been for som time the problem is rather than quality that you have to remove your ecu for them to tune, a flash obd port tune is to date NA. Lots of posts about this in m4/m3 post.so it's nothing shady about it.
Appreciate 0