BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Anyone looking at VW Atlas?

I am surprised at amount of features they managed to pack into an affordable 3-row SUV. I am considering test driving one to see how the ride is, of course not expecting X5-like handling but I expect it to be better than something like a Nissan or Ford Explorer.
      08-11-2017, 02:00 AM   #2
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Let us know what you think. I agree it's worth a look.
      08-11-2017, 06:02 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
yes, it may replace my wifes X1.
possible contender Durango RT, Atlas
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

my buddy has one and loves it. it's no X5 but it's definitely a top contender. getting it loaded is still going to cost you. it's really just a big golf IMO. getting the VR6 is the best way to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
wjdunn3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i

I considered the vw (the top trim one) and ended up with a MY14 X5 xdrive35i CPO with just 15k miles. Same bells and whistles....lower price. I like the vw's all wheel drive system better than BMW's but what swayed it for me was the engine in the new vw. That engine in that heavy of a SUV was sluggish. If they would have put a SC or turbo in the VW then it would have been a much closer race/harder decision between it and the X5. When I mash the gas pedal I want the vehicle to move! Like Pronto
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys, I am wondering if anyone had a chance to test-drive one?
I plan to do my dealer crawl this weekend in preparation for the end of my lease in next 2 months.
      08-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #7
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Test drove one 2 months ago. It is nothing to brag but the price and features are great value. Drives like a regular CUV and VR6 power is decent.

Lots of plastics, very utilitarian and roomy 2nd 3rd row, reminds me of my old Honda Element.

I was ready to switch but the wind noise in the A Pillar really bothered me and the comfort factor of the ventilated seats made me feel I am sitting on bricks compared to my Standard X5 seats.

Sound deadening is not a factor I guess, but for the price they sell here in Canada it is good compared to its competitors.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Too big... how do you go from a sporty nimble SUV to a behemoth German expedition lol.
      08-12-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang
Too big... how do you go from a sporty nimble SUV to a behemoth German expedition lol.
Yes, I forgot about the size. The tires are pretty skinny 235/45/20
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
VW needs to up the ante on the power. I have driven Touareg prior to leasing X5, found it too sluggish. VR6 is good for smaller cars, but not an elephant. I enjoyed driving TDI over the VR6: it had the right amount of power. I like the fact they come equipped with a tow package.
I might test drive one just for curiosity.

Last edited by positiveions; 08-12-2017 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 10:34 PM   #11
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
Test drove one 2 months ago. It is nothing to brag but the price and features are great value. Drives like a regular CUV and VR6 power is decent.

Lots of plastics, very utilitarian and roomy 2nd 3rd row, reminds me of my old Honda Element.

I was ready to switch but the wind noise in the A Pillar really bothered me and the comfort factor of the ventilated seats made me feel I am sitting on bricks compared to my Standard X5 seats.

Sound deadening is not a factor I guess, but for the price they sell here in Canada it is good compared to its competitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
VW needs to up the ante on the power. I have driven Touareg prior to leasing X5, found it too sluggish. VR6 is good for smaller cars, but not an elephant. I enjoyed driving TDI over the VR6: it had the right amount of power. I like the fact they come equipped with a tow package.
I might test drive one just for curiosity.
Test drove one today, definitely drives like a truck and not an SUV, I thought I was in a Navigator minus the chrome. Low end torque is fine with this engine but noise and vibrations definitely need to be dampened. Quality is OK where you look, screen is nice, cockpit, etc is similar to what you would get from Audi and it is super spacious, especially with captains seats for 2nd row.

Lots of plastic for sure, but it's expected.
I expected much worse. The MSRP is ok, but the dealer gave me a crazily marked up lease pricing. Who would pay $700's for $53k VW? I said what's up with this, he said these are the prices, I thought it was a residual issue, not the case whopping %63! I asked if there were any discounts he would apply down the line, he said nothing. No incentives, no rebates, and that this is first year model and they won't offer anything.. Sounded a bit odd, I might try a different dealer. So I stepped out and crossed the street and test drove XC90, it felt so much better but more cramped and much more obstructed visibility on the back, and surprisingly noisier! Noise goes down considerably on XC90 when on 3rd gears and above. Test drove few other vehicles today, and I can easily say that Q7 is the only true competitor to X5 at the moment (if you want 3rd row), if 3rd row is not an issue, there are plenty to choose from.

Sadly Audi dealer wasn't willing to apply any kind of discounts to the Q7, non at all. He said if I want discount, I should get another X5, BMW marks up $10k and drops $7k and makes it look like a deal.
      08-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #12
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

Have you driven an Explorer recently.

I found it to be shockingly awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #13
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Have you driven an Explorer recently.

I found it to be shockingly awesome.
Interesting. Which one did you drive/have? Platinum/Sport? Anything specific I should look for if I decide to take a test drive?
      08-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #14
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Interesting. Which one did you drive/have? Platinum/Sport? Anything specific I should look for if I decide to take a test drive?
I just picked up a few F150's for my office.

I was tempted to flip the X5 for an Explorer Sport. I regained my senses and didn't follow through. But I drive an all blacked out Sport. Very nice.

I bring up the F150's because the sales guy told me it's the same engine. I read later that the F150 is tweaked for more torque.

But I really enjoyed the Sport. Very nice inside and a great ride. It's worth looking at.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #15
Winn
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M550i '17 i3

Garage List
2023 M550i  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
I sold my '14 Explorer Sport when I picked up my CPO '15 X5 50i. The only thing I miss about the Explorer is the cooled seats. If you need it, the 3rd row is not too bad, way more room than the X5...but that was part of why I didn't like it, too big and I no longer needed 3 rows. My biggest complaint is it's FWD bias. It has plenty of power, but can you say torque steer? Felt like you could never really use all the power unless you put it in sand mode to force the power to the rear. I assume they've corrected that issue on the newer models with a new sport mode on the terrain selector (which was a nice feature I'll admit). The 6 speed transmission is out of date and the dead pedal situation is awful...no place to put your left foot when driving. It may seem silly, but it gets really annoying on long drives...many people complain about it. Final complaint, that's more personal than anything...they are everywhere...Ford has sold nearly as many Explorers so far this year than BMW has sold across the board.
2011 335is E93 *Retired*
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #16
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I just picked up a few F150's for my office.

I was tempted to flip the X5 for an Explorer Sport. I regained my senses and didn't follow through. But I drive an all blacked out Sport. Very nice.

I bring up the F150's because the sales guy told me it's the same engine. I read later that the F150 is tweaked for more torque.

But I really enjoyed the Sport. Very nice inside and a great ride. It's worth looking at.

F150 is amazing. I drove my uncle's F150 one for a while few years ago, really amazing vehicle. I can totally understand Explorer driving like one, except the add'l torque and the weight, and hopefully a bit more under control since F150 is listed to accommodate the load. It's very quiet, very very comfortable, even more comfortable than the GLE because seats were so plush and roomy, not the mention the amazing visibility. If I had room, I'd go into Expedition, or maybe Navigator.
      08-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #17
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn View Post
I sold my '14 Explorer Sport when I picked up my CPO '15 X5 50i. The only thing I miss about the Explorer is the cooled seats. If you need it, the 3rd row is not too bad, way more room than the X5...but that was part of why I didn't like it, too big and I no longer needed 3 rows. My biggest complaint is it's FWD bias. It has plenty of power, but can you say torque steer? Felt like you could never really use all the power unless you put it in sand mode to force the power to the rear. I assume they've corrected that issue on the newer models with a new sport mode on the terrain selector (which was a nice feature I'll admit). The 6 speed transmission is out of date and the dead pedal situation is awful...no place to put your left foot when driving. It may seem silly, but it gets really annoying on long drives...many people complain about it. Final complaint, that's more personal than anything...they are everywhere...Ford has sold nearly as many Explorers so far this year than BMW has sold across the board.
X5s are everywhere too, maybe it's just being able to identify one, I see a lot more X5s than Explorers.

What is torque steer?
      08-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #18
Winn
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M550i '17 i3

Garage List
2023 M550i  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
X5s are everywhere too, maybe it's just being able to identify one, I see a lot more X5s than Explorers.

What is torque steer?
Too much torque for a FWD vehicle to handle, basically the steering wheel pulls to one side during heavy acceleration.

I see you're in NYC...that would explain why you see as many X5s as Explorers. I'm in that area for work quite often, I see more BMWs on one drive than I do in a month in the Midwest.
2011 335is E93 *Retired*
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #19
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I'll put in my 2 cents.

We needed a larger vehicle and shopped X5 (main contender) vs Acura MDX, Audi Q7, Mazda CX-9, Toyota Highlander, Dodge Durango, and the VW Atlas.

The VW was by far the cheapest build. Too many plastics. It felt light and agile in a Civic sort of way, not in a German sort of way. At least the Japanese models gave some semblance of luxury. Third row here was the best.

We ended up with the Highlander with the Platinum trim as the purpose of the upsize is really to get a a family cruiser. It certainly does not like cornering though.

Durango was fun even in V6 form. But rooflliner fell off while I was test driving so.. I ran away from that.

CX-9 too claustrophobic and huge blindspots. Torque was good. It's one of the largest out there because of that huge front snout so it's wasted space IMO. Would have been problematic in the garage + not getting the interior space benefit.

MDX.. really don't understand where the "handling advantage" is purported by SH-AWD. Too many buttons. Didn't feel more special than the Toyota.
Appreciate 1
hyde488.00