BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15 50i msport

2015 X5 50i has too many limitations...

This is my first time that I had bought a sports vehicle i.e. a SAV.
As time passes by as the miles increase and as I pay that $$$ on monthly basis, I realize I could have stretched that little more for the X5M.

Well, I knew that I can go for the X5M but did not because I know myself and would not have been satisfied because there is always that other guy's car /SUV that is more luxurious, faster and better than yours. Right!!!

My Bimmer is more like a minivan...my family with me.
Nevertheless, I settled not for the fully loaded X5 30i but X5 50i that too with M Sports package.

I did not do the rear entertainment system and went for the lower bracket one only to find out that it did not fit the new 2015 seats.
Anyway, with the M Sports package, I downgraded my 20 ' wheels to 19' as they are all season tires. Intelligent choice but a few days back I realized the X5 would not go beyond 220kmph meaning 130mph. It's after 2.5 yrs I found this out regarding the top speed limiter by the governor chip.
To my surprise, the reason it is 130mph is that I have the 19' and if it were the 20' then it would have been 155mph.
From 0 to 20 it is as slow as my civic, it just does not move well later I came to know that's because I kept on driving in comfort mode but when I moved to sports or sports + mode it was a different story even with the milage. I know that one.
A month back I test drove the X5M and I was thrilled though I felt the exhaust sound was too much but smooth, unlike other muscle cars.
I like the X5M but I know I would have still been cribbing like I am now.

BMW told me to go to Dinan and that they will remove the governor for the speedometer and rpm but they said we no longer do it for the new models for some BMW reason he gave as Dinan would then have the ability to modify a lot in the computer codes. If I went elsewhere then my warranty is voided.

QUESTIONS:

Can the governor be removed without getting warrant voided?
What language is the coding in?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 07:27 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I suggest you sell your 50i and get the X5M, then start modifying it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
Scott2.0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i and 2015 i3 REx

Where is 130 mph not fast enough?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
Winn
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M550i '17 i3

Garage List
2023 M550i  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW M550i  [0.00]
There's a reason the 19" tires are limited to 130mph, they're not rated to go above that. For your safety, you need new tires that are high speed rated before you remove the governor...and perhaps give it a second thought that you actually need to remove it if this is the first you've had this "problem" in 2.5 years of ownership...
2011 335is E93 *Retired*
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #5
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush128k View Post
Can the governor be removed without getting warrant voided?
Mine is removed by BPC (Bimmer Performance Center) benchflash and I tested it for a short 20 sec - it goes above 254km/h - was too afraid to go faster, but it goes higher for sure

My warranty is voided most probably because dealer will see it pop up as a red flag on their system as soon as they connect their system. Then again mine is 2014 and I'm not too worried about warranty - (knock on the wood) but it's only 25k miles and I'm pretty sure there's nothing to brake at least until 60k miles at which time my warranty will be gone anyway. besides i wanted to wake up 50i with benchflash and I'd do it again if I could - no regrets!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
patrick1
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 GT3, '17 X5M

X5 5.0 is a great vehicle. Around town there is very little difference between the X5M. If top speed and louder exhausts are a priority I suggest you look at the new Jeep. Hope your family is not with you on your high speed runs.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15 50i msport

P1et: I suggest you sell your 50i and get the X5M, then start modifying it.

Response: I bought a brand new X5 50i. I have put in a lot of money already and like many I am stck with it.

Scott2.0: Where is 130 mph not fast enough?

Response: One does not get to drive that fast at all...well I lied not until some muscle car beside you is revving. I normally am silent as I am in comfort mode. But few days back I did it with a mustang GT 350. He took away the race within the 0 to 20 bracket. That’s when , when I hit that flattened speed of 130 mph. you pay so much only to find out about the top speed limiter. If I had not downgraded to 19' I would have had 155 mph but that still a limit. Upon comparing I think the X5 M does 175mph. Is this speed limiter stuff just with BMW? Seems my client advisor lacked knowledge as he had not shared lots of things with me.

Winn: There's a reason the 19" tires are limited to 130mph, they're not rated to go above that. For your safety, you need new tires that are high speed rated before you remove the governor...and perhaps give it a second thought that you actually need to remove it if this is the first you've had this "problem" in 2.5 years of ownership...

Response: I know what you mean about the 2.5yr point. there is no point going for the engine tuning with Dinan cause even that will not help remove the governor. Or even buying performance tires for me now will be waste of money because from the factory the x5 is pre set to 130 mph. So, neither will help until the coding is worked on. The engine tuning will just make me reach my top limit speed faster that’s all. I don’t want to sound like a fool but I have been doing some research past few days.
I have driven my civic till 130 mph and was never able to go beyond that I think. Now does that have a governor or not, i don’t know and done care.

DuSh: Mine is removed by BPC (Bimmer Performance Center) benchflash and I tested it for a short 20 sec - it goes above 254km/h - was too afraid to go faster, but it goes higher for sure
My warranty is voided most probably because dealer will see it pop up as a red flag on their system as soon as they connect their system. Then again mine is 2014 and I'm not too worried about warranty - (knock on the wood) but it's only 25k miles and I'm pretty sure there's nothing to brake at least until 60k miles at which time my warranty will be gone anyway. besides i wanted to wake up 50i with benchflash and I'd do it again if I could - no regrets!

Response: Yeah! I am still learning more about cars what all need to be done by me instead of taking it to the service center.
However, removing the governor should not void the warranty but apparently BMW says they will. All you’re doing is removing the top speed limiter right! It’s not like you are tuning your engine though you would still be safe if you did it with Dinan. I will spend $2,500 on the performance chip for additional 70 HP but still be stuck at 130 mph limit.
I remember the first time I drove it to a 100mph when I bought it brand new, BOY! was I shaken. It just moved so fast. Now getting to 130 mph is like " Okay! Big deal" :-). I take good care of X5 to the extent I can like cosmetic wise and letting the engine warm up first, checking the reading etc.

patrick1: X5 5.0 is a great vehicle. Around town there is very little difference between the X5M. If top speed and louder exhausts are a priority I suggest you look at the new Jeep. Hope your family is not with you on your high speed runs.

Response: Family is never with me when I do such things :-) Also these things are like for 10 secs or so. I take all precautions however even that does not guarantee your safety. It’s just that I hardly do such things and that's why I observed this after 2.5 yrs...

Last edited by piyush128k; 10-01-2017 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Appreciate 0