09-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #23
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthoj View Post
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I figure it's better than starting a new one. I'm getting an uneven wear on my 2015 X5 F15 at almost 20k miles. Car is pretty much bone stock with 19" 255 Goodyear Eagle RFT tires. Oddly enough the front tires have significant more wear than the rear. I was under the impression that BMW Xdrive is a rear biased system so if anything shouldn't the rear be more worn? I've since rotated my tires but can't help but wonder if there's something not right with my car?
Likely an indication of 4 things.

1) Aggressive driving with heavy braking wears the front tires faster due to weight transfer.

2) Driving windy roads, more wear on the front vs freeway.

3) Bad aligment due to toe or camber. Where is it wearing? Inside, middle, outside or evenly?

4) 20k miles on x5 tires is not bad. I have gone through most sets at 20k. Some lasted 30k but these sets were not performance summer tires and were garbage for grip. I got a lot of mileage at the expense of ride quality.
      10-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #24
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

I have 16 years of X- vehicle ownership and will say without reservation: If you do not rotate your tires they will wear out in ~15-20,000 miles or normal driving. They wear fastest on the fronts, and the inboard quarter most. I have had tires worn below the wear markers on the inside edge yet still have 50% or more tread at the outer edge.

Discount Tire doesn't like to do the "free rotation" if you have staggered tires because they have to remount (and balance) and that costs money.

Great Car Talk piece on it: https://www.cartalk.com/content/owne...-my-bmw-i-says
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #25
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Update: had my oil changed at the dealer today. I asked service rep since I have the maintenance policy does this include tire rotation?
He said it’s not included but they don’t recommend rotating tires on X drive vehicles.

I got my X5 at 14k and it’s now 23k. Tires look good so far. I’ll have to look closer as to the state of any uneven wear so far.
      10-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #26
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
Discount Tire doesn't like to do the "free rotation" if you have staggered tires because they have to remount (and balance) and that costs money.
that only applies to staggered AND directional tires. if the tires r staggered non directional, u can flip the wheel left to right and right to left on the same axle. if the tires r non staggered and non direction, u can flip them front back side to side. if the tires r staggered and directional then yes it has to be unmounted and remounted. from what i can remember, majority of the tires used from the factory is non directional weather they r staggered or not so it can be rotated without being dismounted.