BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

10-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Persistent "low key fob battery" warning after replacing fob battery

I've been getting a low key fob battery warning on the dash with both keys for a few days now. I replaced the batteries in both fobs (to my knowledge they had never been replaced. I bought the car CPO last week) but the warning message still comes on intermittently, maybe every third time I start the car. Is there something else I should be doing other than just replacing the battery? Is this a problem with the fob(s), or does something need to be reset somewhere? I briefly looked through the manual but didn't see anything specific to this. My E90 doesn't have CA so I'm new to these keys that don't recharge themselves, ha!

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

Did you ever figure this out? Having the same issue after replacing my fob batteries.
      11-24-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
I've been getting a low key fob battery warning on the dash with both keys for a few days now. I replaced the batteries in both fobs (to my knowledge they had never been replaced. I bought the car CPO last week) but the warning message still comes on intermittently, maybe every third time I start the car. Is there something else I should be doing other than just replacing the battery? Is this a problem with the fob(s), or does something need to be reset somewhere? I briefly looked through the manual but didn't see anything specific to this. My E90 doesn't have CA so I'm new to these keys that don't recharge themselves, ha!
Try "re-initializing" your key fob. Hold the fob up against the right hand side of the steering column (there's a key icon printed there), while simultaneously pushing the start button with your foot on the brake. You may need to repeat the process a couple of times. Should eliminate the problem.
Appreciate 0