BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Your honest opinion on Diesel X5

Hi, I might consider getting a 35d and I wanted to know what I would be getting into. I live NY so we get brutal colds out here, although car is garaged at home, I have to park it outside lot at work. Will I have issues starting it?

Anything else you can add?
Thanks in advance.
      10-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I find it hard to distinguish between trolls and sincere posts...
Appreciate 1
F15GorDe261.00
      10-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I'm on my second X535d. I just love the things. In terms of cold weather starting, just make sure you run it for a while if you start it in very cold weather. A couple of years ago I ran mine for about 15 seconds when I moved it to blow snow in zero degree weather. It didn't like that and I blew a code. I think I fouled the particulate trap.

The power and torque characteristics of the 35d make it fantastic to drive. Perfect powertrain for a big family vehicle.

These things are the best driving family vehicles I've ever owned. I'm just not sure I want to own one out of warranty.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 3
hyde488.00
SpeedN866.00
      10-06-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Was concerned also. After 3 years with my ‘15 35d and numerous forays up into the Sierras have had 0 problems. When it’s cold enough you will get a prompt telling you to be patient while the glow plugs pre-heat, usually takes just a few seconds.

Midlifecrisis comment about very short running periods is important, this is not the vehicle for running short trips around town.
      10-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

x5 diesel starts fine at -29F (given a good battery), I don't think you'll have any issues with it in NY

Now there are some cities where -59F is a norm and -76F is not uncommon. Diesels are not popular in those places
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #6
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
x5 diesel starts fine at -29F (given a good battery), I don't think you'll have any issues with it in NY

Now there are some cities where -59F is a norm and -76F is not uncommon. Diesels are not popular in those places
.....they run all the time, you never shut them off if you can’t park in a warm enclosure or you don’t have a block heater installed. When it’s THAT cold a lot of gas engines are never shut off for that matter.

BTDT!
      10-06-2017, 11:43 PM   #7
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
.....they run all the time, you never shut them off if you can’t park in a warm enclosure or you don’t have a block heater installed. When it’s THAT cold a lot of gas engines are never shut off for that matter.

BTDT!
Yeah, I agree. I was raised in one of those places where cars are never shut off during winter and a stalled car on the highway was a almost 100% death. It was 20 years ago when diesel fuel basically froze in fuel lines even on a 24/7 running car. Folks mostly used a Japan gas cars, not diesels. Also diesels couldn't heat a cabin during that low temperatures. Everyone had Webastos. But I agree, technology changed and maybe diesels are more popular now in those places
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 12:00 AM   #8
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

Diesels have something that gas engines don’t, a fuel return line. This is why the fuel tank on a diesel is warm after a long enough running time. There are anti-gelling additives mixed into the blends sold in markets needing it.
Also, the “ad-blue” tank has a heater in it for when the ambient temperature is low enough, keeps the urea from crystallizing.
kj71109188.50
      10-07-2017, 12:43 AM   #9
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

My commute is about 25-30 minutes each way but distance is about 10 miles. I've read about short trips being hard on diesel, but these trip can sometimes take upwards of 45 minutes sitting in stop & go traffic. In 3 years of owning my X5 I put 23k on it, my last X5 was roughly 25k after 3 years.

I'll try to test drive it tomorrow but I am looking to hear from owners who had it for a while and can give me some feedback from owning one instead of citing clichés or stats from other websites. I've read bunch of threads both here and other BMW forums, but it seems like after few posts it turns into a fight between gassers and diesel owners. I don't care about technical stuff, 0-60 (it's a BMW, so it will feel good no matter gas or diesel) or how there is a sweet spot on rpm for power, etc.. But generally how it feels driving it compared to gas engine one. While I'll test it tomorrow, I am not sure how much I can tell from a short testdrive. Any suggestions on what to look for would be greatly appreciated! Or what should I test for? I won't be checking how it handles corners or how well it stops, etc. (been driving X5s for 6yrs, no need to waste time checking if it can take that turn at 50mph, i know it can) so I can focus on the different stuff compared to 35i.
      10-07-2017, 12:58 AM   #10
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Ok, I'll shut up after this post since i don't own a diesel now, but here's what I would test before buying 35d:
1. Do I like idle sound and if it's ok with me/wife? When I was checking 35d I was able to tell it's a diesel, it was sounding like a tractor (less so in summer, but still). It may or not be an issue to you
2. Does 35d have a electric heater, or at least I would find out how fast can 35d heat the cabin in winter. For me it's important and diesel engines been efficient are naturally producing less heat and are slow to heat up cabin in winter
3. AdBlue or not - they do produce smog, try to see/smell after start up standing behind the car, try to ask someone to press gas pedal while you observe exhaust for any abnormalities. For me with my tiny garage and a bedroom right above it - that could be an issue during winter startups
4. Decide for yourself if you drive not much - probably overpaying for a diesel extra $3-5k compared to a 35i will negate all benefits and yield same results financially (MPG savings vs higher initial cost)
5. Off-topic, but I would make sure it has a winter package (like heated steering wheel etc) with rear climate - provides tons more heat in winter for rear passengers (kids/wife etc)
Appreciate 1
F15GorDe261.00
      10-07-2017, 01:27 AM   #11
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Ok, I'll shut up after this post since i don't own a diesel now, but here's what I would test before buying 35d:
1. Do I like idle sound and if it's ok with me/wife? When I was checking 35d I was able to tell it's a diesel, it was sounding like a tractor (less so in summer, but still). It may or not be an issue to you
2. Does 35d have a electric heater, or at least I would find out how fast can 35d heat the cabin in winter. For me it's important and diesel engines been efficient are naturally producing less heat and are slow to heat up cabin in winter
3. AdBlue or not - they do produce smog, try to see/smell after start up standing behind the car, try to ask someone to press gas pedal while you observe exhaust for any abnormalities. For me with my tiny garage and a bedroom right above it - that could be an issue during winter startups
4. Decide for yourself if you drive not much - probably overpaying for a diesel extra $3-5k compared to a 35i will negate all benefits and yield same results financially (MPG savings vs higher initial cost)
5. Off-topic, but I would make sure it has a winter package (like heated steering wheel etc) with rear climate - provides tons more heat in winter for rear passengers (kids/wife etc)
+1^^^^^
Diesel for us is worth the extra $$ upfront, with 37k so far my mpg from when I picked it up in Spartanburg is just under 25.
Yes, get the heated seats and steering wheel. I debadged ours and it’s not unusual for people to be surprised it’s a diesel. Hard to tell from the sound and it does not smell the way older diesels do.

I knew exactly what to expect when I spec’d our X out and have been very pleased with how it turned out, I’ll do it again when we move on from this one.
      10-07-2017, 05:36 AM   #12
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
My commute is about 25-30 minutes each way but distance is about 10 miles. I've read about short trips being hard on diesel, but these trip can sometimes take upwards of 45 minutes sitting in stop & go traffic. In 3 years of owning my X5 I put 23k on it, my last X5 was roughly 25k after 3 years.

I'll try to test drive it tomorrow but I am looking to hear from owners who had it for a while and can give me some feedback from owning one instead of citing clichés or stats from other websites. I've read bunch of threads both here and other BMW forums, but it seems like after few posts it turns into a fight between gassers and diesel owners. I don't care about technical stuff, 0-60 (it's a BMW, so it will feel good no matter gas or diesel) or how there is a sweet spot on rpm for power, etc.. But generally how it feels driving it compared to gas engine one. While I'll test it tomorrow, I am not sure how much I can tell from a short testdrive. Any suggestions on what to look for would be greatly appreciated! Or what should I test for? I won't be checking how it handles corners or how well it stops, etc. (been driving X5s for 6yrs, no need to waste time checking if it can take that turn at 50mph, i know it can) so I can focus on the different stuff compared to 35i.
It's a somewhat different driving experience. The lower redline means more shifts when accelerating from a stop, but once you're up to cruising speed, particularly in suburban driving with variable speeds, it tends to shift less. Rolling acceleration happens with smooth authority. To me, the torque characteristics of the diesel just feel "right" in this heavy vehicle. The technical stuff like fuel economy and 700 mile range are just icing on the cake.

By the way, I wouldn't consider your commute to be a short trip. My commute is a mile and a half and takes about 5 minutes. In very cold weather without snowy roads, I take my other car to work so I don't run the risk of fouling the emissions system. When I do use it for commuting, I make sure I take a 20 minute drive once a week or so to get it fully warmed up.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 1
F15GorDe261.00
      10-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #13
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the replies, I went to test drive the 35d today, but immediately upon visual inspection of the crucial components such as exterior color, and seat colors by the head of inspection team and the CHO (chief household officer), also known as the wife, 35d failed.

I wanted to get this particular diesel because they were willing to give me a deep discount since it had the undesired 3rd row seat (most people don't want to pay $1700 for that) and the fact that it was diesel.

So, if anyone is looking for a 35d in White with Brown interior, something that looks like it's been sitting in the lot for a long --very long time--, PM me, I'll let you know which NY dealer has it.

Based on what i've been reading, I was ready to enjoy the torque and the purr, but I guess I won't have chance now, since the deals on new factory orders are far from this one.
      10-08-2017, 12:11 AM   #14
Newbie-mer
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

I wanted to buy the X5 35d, but I got scared away by several posts from people who had something (algae?) foul their fuel lines. They each said that BMW took no responsibility for it and it cost them $18k to fix. It sounds like it doesn't happen often, but it seemed like a big penalty. It sounds like the problem may have actually been from the gas station. Still, I didn't want to take a chance.

Also, BMW delayed the release of the diesel engine because of the VW/Audi scandal and I got tired of waiting.

I'll be interested to know if anyone else knows more about this issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 05:46 AM   #15
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep

Sorry it didn't work out for you. From what I hear, most dealers don't have many 35d's hanging out in stock. Too bad - such a great driving car. Out of curiosity I just did a search, and in a 50 mile radius of me (suburban NJ) there are 41 35d's in stock. In the NY metro area, some dealers don't even have one in stock. Looks like only Brooklyn and Park Ave have significant inventory.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #16
TeamErc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4, 2018 X35d

Garage List
I owned 2 X5 gassers before stepping into an X5d 3 years ago. I love the diesel for its driving behavior and mileage. Wonderful cruiser. Feels like a large displacement engine in normal driving. It has a surge of torque down low that just moves it from a stop light or up hills. And I have tracked my lifetime mileage, never reset the onboard mileage avg, and I am getting 32 mpg in a mix of town and highway driving. I do love to hypermile the X5 by using the coast and recharge feature in eff mode. And I have an m4 for fun.

After 3 years and 43k mikes I wanted to comment on some of the statements.
- rarely smell diesel smell. Only on very cold days do you notice on startup (in three years maybe smelled diesel exhaust a dozen times). Note, I live in MD for climate comparison.
- does NOT sound like a bus. Most people when I tell them it's a diesel are surprised. That's an old stereotype.
- it has a lower rpm limit but because of the tremendous torque, it shifts less than a gas X5. All cars these days try to get to their overdrive gear as fast as possible. The diesel has the torque to smoothly accelerate and then hold in higher gears up grades and increasing speed without feeling lethargic. Gear changes because of this are less noticeable.
- there is no longer a price difference so the question of whether it pays back, well at an average of 32 mpg (it can get 40 mpg highway) not a question.

Couple other comments unrelated to posts
- it is awesome to go up to 700 miles between fill ups.
- X5s usually do not sit on lots. Very small remarketing inventory.
- tow capacity and towing character of the diesel is higher and effortless.

Couple negatives; After 3 years, I try to fill it up even though my wife is the primary driver of the X5 because I still have a phobia of accidentally putting gas in the tank. I have almost forgotten also. And it can be a little more dirty at the diesel pump. But again, realistically 600 miles between fillups isn't that much of an issue.
Appreciate 3
      10-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #17
deutsch100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

I am on X5 #7 and on my second 35d (2011 and now 2017).

Besides my 4.8is and 4.8i...the diesels are hands down my FAV X5s, if not fav BMWs.

The power/torque of this engine is the best pairing for the size and weight of the X5. Also, the mpg is amazing. I almost always get 25-30 mpg in the city (gentle driving, but not "old lady"). On the freeway, with that sweet spot of 65-70mph, my mpg will always be above 30mpg! On a full tank of diesel, I will travel at least 550 miles, but I have seen over 650 miles too! Impressive for a vehicle of this size and weight!

X5 35d has a pre-heater for cold weather driving. You will get almost instant cabin heat. Although, for us here in So. Cal...very cold is 28-32F, the HVAC starts providing warm cabin air almost right away. Of course heated seats and my heated steering wheel are nice too!

35d has NO, ZERO, Nada diesel smell, black smoke! In fact, I traded my 2017 X5 xDrive 40e plug in electric for my current 2017 35d, and the driver rear tailpipe was always black on the 40e. Same as with my 2011 35d & now my '17 35d...tailpipes are always clean. I mean, insanely clean. Nothing!

Sound! I honestly wish I had more diesel sound (I like it). The only time I really hear that I am driving a diesel, is when I am in a parking structure or underground garage. My 2011 35d sounded WAY more diesel than my current '17 35d.

BMW says 2018 diesels are coming, but they are scarce (if not here yet). Also, MBZ and Audi has no 2018 diesels. RUN, don't walk, to get a 2017 35d! Best of the best!!
Appreciate 3
      02-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #18
mlanes01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G26 e40, 2021 G05 x40i

Things may have changed, but i put 125K miles on my 2011 335d and had a really good experience. For the first 50K i would expect that car to be a dream. After 50 you may run into some minor issues. Follow the basic maintenance rules of any vehicle and your will have great luck, don't wait for the CBS to tell you to change oil, i was religious about every 7K miles oil/filter. I also did a fluid flush and filter on the ZF transmission at 70K miles (BMW says lifetime, but ZF says 75K), I did glowplugs, thermostat, coolant, waterpump and belt also around that time (that was a big job). I would also recommend changing the fuel pump often to keep tank crud from hitting your injectors (i had one bad injector, around 100K easy cheap fix) Doing that stuff saves a lot of time and effort down the road..Honestly, that engine on its own will last forever, its the epa junk in the US that will be problematic down the road. here are the pain in the butt things...

1) battery, In california with a mild climate and few cold starts, my batteries lasted about 2/3 years, which I thought was excessive since I always plug in to a battery tender every night. Dealer is very pricey for that $600 (battery was $130 for bosch with higher cca than bmw spec and it takes literally 30secs to code) But then again, cars have a lot more going on these days electrical wise, so that could be something I wasn't used to compared to my e36 328i.

2) egr valve and carbon you will hear horror stories on this, I did a lot of highway driving @ 80mph for long periods of time, so buildup wasn't an issue, but diesels in the city as daily drivers can accumulate and cause a world of problems make sure to open her up on fwy regularly to clear things out

3) the pollution control and catalyst components out of warranty were a constant hassle. the dealer covered a lot of this but once I was out of the CA extended emissions warranty I had to tackle a lot of urea tank issues, that were much more difficult than they needed to be. Basically I would describe the system as a time bomb that can cost 2500 every time something happens. I replaced the def pump for about 400 and 2 hours time at 90K miles (urea crystalized and clogged, back pressure blew up pump) but again this was at high mileage.

4) DPF (diesel particulate filter) - this thing is the other time bomb, it's only job is to keep black smoke from coming out of your car, basically a porcelain honeycomb filter that catches black soot, every so often when the temp is right and your speed is consistent, it is supposed to regenerate (sprays fuel onto filter, it ignites and clears carbon from filter) however, after time, the soot will build and the filter will no longer be able to regenerate. People say they had ways of cleaning the filter etc, but success may vary.

now that being said the 335d was the first diesel that came to North America under the new clean diesel rules, so Im sure they learned a lot and hopefully fixed a lot of the issues. I need to educate myself on the differences between the f15 and the e90 diesel. We only have 5K miles on our 2018 x35d and I won't have to do any maintenance for a long time, but so far I really like it. Only complaint is the nav system literally has the worst directions, but thankfully, i can use google maps on car play. Im expecting brakes and tires to be a bigger expense due to size and weight of the car. 8spd transmission is really smooth and great torque throughout the gears.

So basically I say, buy the extended warranty, get a battery tender and enjoy the heck out of your X5 hard to go wrong with it. My daily driver is a tesla model s and I beg my wife to let me drive the x5 on the weekends (half the payment twice the car and even with diesel at 3.99 in CA i actually pay the same monthly to drive the tesla as we do the x5, so mileage is great).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #19
marcyday99
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 35d

Wow! Prices for pre-owned diesels for 2015 are on par with the prices for 2016-2017. Add on a M-Sport and the price is 20% higher. What's up with that - supply & demand; BMW has all but said it will not be producing diesels in 2019 in the US.

Would it be wise to purchase a x35d 2015-2018 low mileage CPO x35d?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #20
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyday99 View Post
Wow! Prices for pre-owned diesels for 2015 are on par with the prices for 2016-2017. Add on a M-Sport and the price is 20% higher. What's up with that - supply & demand; BMW has all but said it will not be producing diesels in 2019 in the US.

Would it be wise to purchase a x35d 2015-2018 low mileage CPO x35d?
Wise in what way? Just cuz they stop selling it doesn't mean they stop fixing it.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #21
X5hopefull
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

I’ve had my 2017 35d now for just 2 years ,,,, just turned 50,000 miles never had a check engine light ,,,I knew as soon as they stopped making diesels our older ones were going up in value....where can you get a sUV that gets 35 mpg. Has the power and torque to pull 7000 lbs,,,I Love this thing....But wish they would make a X7 diesel some day.....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 04:50 PM   #22
deiselpwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 35D M Sport

One Word
Torque
Appreciate 0