BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #1
merkaba
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5d

Another Towing Question!

I know others have posted plenty of towing questions, but I wanted to get thoughts on my predicament.

I have a 2016 BMW X5 35d with 3rd row seating/air suspension. I have a stealth hitch which they claim has a tow capacity of more than the car (8000lb and 800lb of tongue weight). I also have a tekonsha prodigy wireless brake controller that I plan on using. I did not plan on getting any weight distribution setup. We want to get a travel trailer which has dry weight of 5380lb and a tongue weight of 645lb. I don't plan on driving with water tanks full, but obviously there will be more weight added to the dry weight...let's just call it 6400lb of trailer. My car also has a payload limit of 1349lb. When I add my family, my two huge great danes up, and the tongue weight we go over that payload by about 100lbs. We have many camping trips planned, but none that are more than a few hours away...and most of them are under 2 hours. I know they put a limit on vehicles for a reason, but wanted to post here and get thoughts from others on if this seems like a OK thing to do assuming we travel at safe speeds etc.
Appreciate 0