BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-16-2015, 01:08 AM   #1
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Questions about F15 tail light...

I'm searching for the possible solutions to mod the red turning signals to Amber/yellow. But I'm getting more confused now. It may be the regional things?

Our F15 tail light has five inner and four outer lines.
Inner - 1 and 2 from the top are parking lamps. 3? 4? 5 is the rear fog lamp.
Outer - 1 and 2 are parking lamps. 3? 4?

I took the shot from the video, this Canadian '14 F15 50i shows the results which I prefer more.

The brake lamps -
The pic shows they are the inner 3 and the outer 3.
My US F15 shows the inner 3 and the outer 3/4.

The turning signals -
The pic shows the anber/yellow turning signals in the inner 4 and the outer 4.
My F15 shows the inner 3 and the outer 3/4. Red.

Meanwhile, the owner manual indicated the inner 4 will light up during the heavy brake. Did anyone is US ever see this working?

Are these the regional things again? I really like to separate the brake/turning lamps if legally possible. How can I mod them?

Thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:10 AM   #2
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My parking lamps -
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:11 AM   #3
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My brake and turning lamps - the same.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 01:12 AM   #4
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

How can I make the rear fog lamps work? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:21 AM   #5
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

You can't do any of that without buying the extra lights, extra wiring, and extra coding. wdimagineer did the rear amber lights from Europe and explained it was not an easy process.

It's just another European "feature" that US does not get.

You can however have your parking lamps coded to work as your Rear DRLs so they stay lit automatically like the halos during the day time. In the cheat sheet, this is referred to as TFL Modus and the 4 mapping output codes below it.
      02-16-2015, 01:50 AM   #6
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
You can't do any of that without buying the extra lights, extra wiring, and extra coding. wdimagineer did the rear amber lights from Europe and explained it was not an easy process.

You can however have your parking lamps coded to work as your Rear DRLs so they stay lit automatically like the halos during the day time. In the cheat sheet, this is referred to as TFL Modus and the 4 mapping output codes below it.
Thanks. I will check that. This will be quite disappointed. Anyway I'm so far happy with most of F15 has provided.

Most of US car models come with Red turning signals. So annoying... Just my personal preference.
Appreciate 1
DonJuan536.00
      02-16-2015, 01:53 AM   #7
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
... ... Meanwhile, the owner manual indicated the inner 4 will light up during the heavy brake. Did anyone is US ever see this working? ... ...

Thank you.
This is what the onwer manual said...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:56 AM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
Thanks. I will check that. This will be quite disappointed. Anyway I'm so far happy with most of F15 has provided.

Most of US car models come with Red turning signals. So annoying... Just my personal preference.
I hear you. Many forum members like the amber turn signal rear tail lights. It would be nice to have the option for it. Nonetheless, coding still gives you many great features and the rear tail lights in the back look very cool when lit during the day:

As for the location of the brake lamps in addition to these rear DRL lights, that is correct.

Euro cars are lucky in the fact that heavy braking allows for flashing brakes (when trying to code the Emergency Flashers, the US lights give an error in the iDrive).
      02-16-2015, 02:58 AM   #9
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Accomplishing what you want isn't possible without significant wiring, coding, and of course a set of European tail lights. Rear fogs also require a different switch.
      04-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post

opasha @
Hallo Omar
Just went through coding sheet which you advised regarding tail lights(want it on during day time as well).

Regarding these changes all clear:
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_1_H_L_OUTPUT "switch to" sl_l
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_1_H_R_OUTPUT "switch to" sl_r
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_2_H_L_OUTPUT "switch to" sl_2_l
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_2_H_R_OUTPUT "switch to" sl_2_r

BUT!!!

TFL_MODUS "is" drl_s "switch to" drl_s (100% parking light brightness), tfl_s (50% parking light brightness) - WHAT DOES IT MEAN???
Not clear to me, could you please explain what to do???
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsvrub View Post
opasha @
Hallo Omar
Just went through coding sheet which you advised regarding tail lights(want it on during day time as well).

Regarding these changes all clear:
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_1_H_L_OUTPUT "switch to" sl_l
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_1_H_R_OUTPUT "switch to" sl_r
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_2_H_L_OUTPUT "switch to" sl_2_l
MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_2_H_R_OUTPUT "switch to" sl_2_r

BUT!!!

TFL_MODUS "is" drl_s "switch to" drl_s (100% parking light brightness), tfl_s (50% parking light brightness) - WHAT DOES IT MEAN???
Not clear to me, could you please explain what to do???
I popped out the U.S spec dead rear fog button. The circuit board is there, but the button isn't like the F30/F80 where you could easily trim off the stopper then it works. The button that came with the F15/F80 in the U.S are dead. Just need a button from the UK to make the rear fogs work, should be a $5 part if we could find it. See thread below.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1023817
      07-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #12
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I popped out the U.S spec dead rear fog button. The circuit board is there, but the button isn't like the F30/F80 where you could easily trim off the stopper then it works. The button that came with the F15/F80 in the U.S are dead. Just need a button from the UK to make the rear fogs work, should be a $5 part if we could find it. See thread below.

I believe doing this will disengage the "brake force display" which uses the same light as rear fogs. And, will require coding to work. It is not plug and play.

On a separate note, now that you have popped it open, does it look the like red LEDs under the clear section could be swayed to amber? One of the things that really bugs me about this car.

I believe the most knowledgeable person on the subject of taillights, to my awareness, is wdimagineer who successfully swapped his taillights to Euro spec so that he could have amber turn signals. And, he then swapped them back to original ones when he sold his F15 (he is now in a sweet F85, like you). From memory, I recall he needed an entirely new wiring harness, new lights, and lots of coding.

If you just want to play with the switch, it looks like the part you need is about $100 http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...CE/61/61_3186/ and varies depending on LED v Xenon in front.
      07-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #13
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco
Quote:

I believe doing this will disengage the "brake force display" which uses the same light as rear fogs. And, will require coding to work. It is not plug and play.

On a separate note, now that you have popped it open, does it look the like red LEDs under the clear section could be swayed to amber? One of the things that really bugs me about this car.

I believe the most knowledgeable person on the subject of taillights, to my awareness, is wdimagineer who successfully swapped his taillights to Euro spec so that he could have amber turn signals. And, he then swapped them back to original ones when he sold his F15 (he is now in a sweet F85, like you). From memory, I recall he needed an entirely new wiring harness, new lights, and lots of coding.

If you just want to play with the switch, it looks like the part you need is about $100 http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...CE/61/61_3186/ and varies depending on LED v Xenon in front.
Thanks for the response. That seems like too much work. I only pop the lower fog button out, which didn't have a clear piece so I couldn't tell on the LED.
      07-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #14
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I already did it, all working fine
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 01:53 PM   #15
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I already did it, all working fine
Where did you find the rear fog button? Please share the link.
      08-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #16
AHCPAX5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 50i M Sport

Theoretically speaking, there has to be some type of coding for the Brake Force display. In other words, the rear fogs are coded to light up if the brake force applied is 10psi or 5gs or something. If someone can crack that code then our modules can be coded so that the smallest amount of pressure to the brake pedal can light up the rear fogs in addition to the brake lights. This would give our cars an appearance of a stronger brake light and if we have our signals blinking, the fogs can remain on almost making it seem like we have a dedicated brake light. Im no engineer just an auditor so I cant get more technical than that if anyone understands what I am talking about.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 01:08 AM   #17
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Where did you find the rear fog button? Please share the link.
What do you mean?
Rear fog button is new control of your lights
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #18
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean?
Rear fog button is new control of your lights
U.S don't have rear fog light button and our tail lights are different, so it can't be coded either.
      10-29-2015, 03:25 AM   #19
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
U.S don't have rear fog light button and our tail lights are different, so it can't be coded either.
Ohhh^ sorry, did not know it
Just wondering why it is not available in USA?!
What could be behind this idea....
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 06:05 AM   #20
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Ohhh^ sorry, did not know it
Just wondering why it is not available in USA?!
What could be behind this idea....
A few things...

Outdated government regulations concerning vehicle lighting functions are the primary reason. US lighting regulations dictate that a certain percentage of a vehicle's lighting illuminate for certain purposes, like brake or turn signal. Audi and VW cars here are notorious for having combined brake and turn signals. Looks stupid, but satisfies the regulators.

Some quotes from an old article I read here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle4629246/

1. Europe requires amber turn signals.

2. US and Canada allow only red or amber rear turn signals, and only amber in front.

3. US and Canada require a MINIMUM SURFACE AREA for rear turn signals.

Thomas Tetzlaff, spokesman for Volkswagen Canada.
“The colour of the turn signals on vehicles in Europe is legislated to be amber. In North America, there is no such legislation, but there are different regulations about the minimal surface area of the blinkers. In many cases, you will notice manufacturers, including us, using brake lights as their turn signals in order to comply with the North American regulations.”

BMW Canada spokesman Robert Dexter.
“Utilizing a red signal allows us to meet the surface area requirement without a redesign of the basic structure of the taillamp assembly, which, as you can imagine, would be a costly endeavour. The red signal option offers a practical solution which fully meets considerations of design and production costs.”

And then the BS reasons... the same article quoted this gentleman from BMW saying that aesthetically, customers prefer all red. Or that red lamps are cheaper.

Europe also legislates rear fog lamps, something North America doesn't. Some cars sold in the US have rear fog lights, but as you'd expect, the idiots driving them (Audis, mostly) have no idea when and where to use them, so you're blinded. Same goes for front fogs in a lot of places, too.

Most BMWs have rear fog lamps in the US and can be enabled with coding and the right switch. I'm sure a few dollars are saved by not installing the switch at the factory.
      10-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #21
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I would love to run amber turn signals in the rear. I've put the EU tail lamps in my A4 to have this...looks way better, and safer too IMO since its a colour differentiation over the red tail lamps.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 01:44 PM   #22
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
A few things...

Outdated government regulations concerning vehicle lighting functions are the primary reason. US lighting regulations dictate that a certain percentage of a vehicle's lighting illuminate for certain purposes, like brake or turn signal. Audi and VW cars here are notorious for having combined brake and turn signals. Looks stupid, but satisfies the regulators.

Some quotes from an old article I read here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle4629246/

1. Europe requires amber turn signals.

2. US and Canada allow only red or amber rear turn signals, and only amber in front.

3. US and Canada require a MINIMUM SURFACE AREA for rear turn signals.

Thomas Tetzlaff, spokesman for Volkswagen Canada.
“The colour of the turn signals on vehicles in Europe is legislated to be amber. In North America, there is no such legislation, but there are different regulations about the minimal surface area of the blinkers. In many cases, you will notice manufacturers, including us, using brake lights as their turn signals in order to comply with the North American regulations.”

BMW Canada spokesman Robert Dexter.
“Utilizing a red signal allows us to meet the surface area requirement without a redesign of the basic structure of the taillamp assembly, which, as you can imagine, would be a costly endeavour. The red signal option offers a practical solution which fully meets considerations of design and production costs.”

And then the BS reasons... the same article quoted this gentleman from BMW saying that aesthetically, customers prefer all red. Or that red lamps are cheaper.

Europe also legislates rear fog lamps, something North America doesn't. Some cars sold in the US have rear fog lights, but as you'd expect, the idiots driving them (Audis, mostly) have no idea when and where to use them, so you're blinded. Same goes for front fogs in a lot of places, too.

Most BMWs have rear fog lamps in the US and can be enabled with coding and the right switch. I'm sure a few dollars are saved by not installing the switch at the factory.
Ohhhh, thanx, did not know
More or less aware about story now
Appreciate 0