BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
jsebjimenez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Volvo XC90 looks like a X5

Is it me or the new Volvo XC90 looks just like a F15 from far away?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
cretanu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M 5.0d

For extremelly far away!!!😂😂😂😂😂
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cretanu View Post
For extremelly far away!!!😂😂😂😂😂
+1 lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
Scott2.0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i and 2015 i3 REx

I see it. I think it's pretty sharp.

Appreciate 1
      08-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #5
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

i said the exact thing. the shape is identical. volvo copied the x5.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

It's an SUV. BMW didn't really invent anything in the current X5, so it looks like another X5. For it to look like an X5, it would have to look like one from front end, sides and the rear, in this case it looks like X5 only from one particular angle, and there are many SUVs that look like each other from that angle.

Having said that, I am considering red R-Type myself when my lease is over in 2 months, because, to be perfectly honest I don't want to get into another identical X5. I wish they at least upped the ante with digital cluster, better headlights, a bit more functions on the interior and more colors (other than pistachio green!). Unless BMW gives me extremely aggressive lease pricing on an M sport model with 3rd row, I don't think I am staying.

Who else is looking at XC90?
      08-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I would have bought an xc90, drove several of them. I just can't get past that engine. While it has decent ooomph. I simply don't like it. The rest of the vehicle is fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 11:26 PM   #8
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
I would have bought an xc90, drove several of them. I just can't get past that engine. While it has decent ooomph. I simply don't like it. The rest of the vehicle is fantastic.
Agreed, it's good looking and full of tech, and while it has good power, it's just so different from the X5 it's tough to wrap my mind around. My neighbors have a new T6 - it's so quiet when you hit the throttle, completely opposite from my 50i. Would take some getting used to..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

I started off looking for alternatives to the X5, hoping for something new and exciting. I looked at the XC90, along with Q7 and the new RR Disco. I didn't want to end up with an identical vehicle in my garage after spending $$$. (Need a 7 seater)

Here are my impressions:

Q7 - added to the mix because of high praise and positive reviews. In my opinion the ride was nice and smooth, power delivery decent although did not feel as exciting as my 35i (not to even mention the 50i which I also tested). Felt a little like driving a minivan. I also could not get over the exterior looks which i'm sure I could get used it, but that's not how I like to buy my cars. I was also not as impressed with the interior tech/design as many of the car reviewers. Didn't like the vent like slits across the entire dashboard and the built in touchpad felt like it came from 20 year old laptop. The virtual cockpit was nice but overall the GUI didn't feel as refined as the BMW one.

RR Disco - overall probably my favourite in terms of look and feel. Not as exciting to drive as the X5 but I everything else made up for it. If not for the dismal reliability rating I probably would've ended up with the Disco. After spending a few hours in RR Disco forums to get a better sense of what the ownership experience could/would look like I unfortunately had to cross if off the list.

XC90 - liked the look (maybe because it looks so similar to the X5). The interior was more elegant and upscale than the X5. The tech was nice but the look and feel not as polished as the BMW. Took the T6 for a drive and as someone above has already mentioned, he power delivery was decent and felt comparable to my 35i but the engine sounded like it was working harder than I expected it to. Wanted to take the T8 for a spin but the manager had taken it home for the day despite me giving the dealer a heads up that I would be coming in at some point during the week for a test drive.

X5 - without a clear winner in the above comparison I popped by my BMW dealer to see if I could take a 2017 50i and 35d for a spin. Although not necessarily winning in any particular area, the X5 is an overall better, more complete package. I LOVED the 50i power, but I compromised on the 35d which feels more powerful than my 35i. To further differentiate it from my then current 2014 space grey 35i I went for a Saphire Black with black rims and black interior. Along with a few tech upgrades (digital gauges, touch screen, soft close doors, etc) the new colour and diesel engine make it like a different vehicle.

Last edited by ramsal; 08-14-2017 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 2
hyde488.00
      08-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

If anything the front end of the jaguar F-Pace looks identical to the XC90 lol
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #11
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLZ View Post
If anything the front end of the jaguar F-Pace looks identical to the XC90 lol
Both Volvo and Jaguar had big impact on car industry and me haha during my childhood, but nowadays meh..... Maybe it's because Jaguar is owned now by Tata (India) and Volvo owned by some Chinese company afaik. Does this mean they both skipped on paying big bucks to designers and just copied ideas from x5
It's good at least Rolls-Royce is owned by BMW and they won't go cheap on it
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #12
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Volvo owned by some Chinese company afaik. Does this mean they both skipped on paying big bucks to designers and just copied ideas from x5

Actually, it's opposite.

Chinese company just poured money in to Volvo and said "do something different and sell more cars". So China's involvement is only on the finance dept, rest (as far as I know) was still up to Volvo to design, and I think it could have gone a lot worse. I was under impression that Volvo was a Chinese brand now, but no, XC90 was designed by German and Swedish designers, assembled in Sweden and Malaysia. I don't really know where the engine and transmission is from, might be worth looking up.

About Jaguar, I didn't look into it, since I would get another one of the 10s of other better SUVs if I wasn't considering a 3rd row.
      08-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #13
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsal View Post
I started off looking for alternatives to the X5, hoping for something new and exciting. I looked at the XC90, along with Q7 and the new RR Disco. I didn't want to end up with an identical vehicle in my garage after spending $$$. (Need a 7 seater)

Here are my impressions:

Q7 - added to the mix because of high praise and positive reviews. In my opinion the ride was nice and smooth, power delivery decent although did not feel as exciting as my 35i (not to even mention the 50i which I also tested). Felt a little like driving a minivan. I also could not get over the exterior looks which i'm sure I could get used it, but that's not how I like to buy my cars. I was also not as impressed with the interior tech/design as many of the car reviewers. Didn't like the vent like slits across the entire dashboard and the built in touchpad felt like it came from 20 year old laptop. The virtual cockpit was nice but overall the GUI didn't feel as refined as the BMW one.

RR Disco - overall probably my favourite in terms of look and feel. Not as exciting to drive as the X5 but I everything else made up for it. If not for the dismal reliability rating I probably would've ended up with the Disco. After spending a few hours in RR Disco forums to get a better sense of what the ownership experience could/would look like I unfortunately had to cross if off the list.

XC90 - liked the look (maybe because it looks so similar to the X5). The interior was more elegant and upscale than the X5. The tech was nice but the look and feel not as polished as the BMW. Took the T6 for a drive and as someone above has already mentioned, he power delivery was decent and felt comparable to my 35i but the engine sounded like it was working harder than I expected it to. Wanted to take the T8 for a spin but the manager had taken it home for the day despite me giving the dealer a heads up that I would be coming in at some point during the week for a test drive.

X5 - without a clear winner in the above comparison I popped by my BMW dealer to see if I could take a 2017 50i and 35d for a spin. Although not necessarily winning in any particular area, the X5 is an overall better, more complete package. I LOVED the 50i power, but I compromised on the 35d which feels more powerful than my 35i. To further differentiate it from my then current 2014 space grey 35i I went for a Saphire Black with black rims and black interior. Along with a few tech upgrades (digital gauges, touch screen, soft close doors, etc) the new colour and diesel engine make it like a different vehicle.
You should share this post in this thread for sure.
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1303940&page=5

Since X5's 3rd row is extremely cramped, if 3rd row is important to you sadly you will have to eliminate X5. I agree with almost everything you said, other than Q7 driving like a minivan. It does look like a minivan but it doesn't really drive one if you put it in Sport mode. It feels very bumpy, but I like a bumpy ride. The steering is also nice and tight in S. I agree with the rest of what you said on Q7. The dash and console looks fancy but I don't understand why the Navigation had to go where it went, it's extremely obstructing when it's out, and I hate having to press a button to slide it in and out. Sure the virtual cockpit is nice, but I prefer the navigation screen to be in line with instrument cluster, and while others tried this, I think BMW did the best. Not quite low in console, not sticking out too much.

So, who are you liking most at this point?
PS: Just test drove the Disco, and I loved it. Dealer is not willing to drop anything on MSRP and possibly marking up the MF, (don't convince me please, there is also a chance of Disco not fitting in my garage because there is inconsistency on the height).. Unless there are crazy deals on it. Disco was by far the best in 3rd row & 2nd row space, extremely spacious, drove without much flexing and felt like a tank from get-go.. I think Q7 and Volvo had similar 3rd row space, usable in general (despite Audi dealer telling me that I shouldn't expect to drive 3 hrs with people on 3rd row ---Odd!), but Volvo pushed the 2nd row forward a bit to make room for that add'l cargo space which is very handy compared to Disco which has almost non with 3rd row up.
      08-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Will copy the post to the other thread, thanks for the heads up.

Perhaps you are right about the handling of the Q7. Didn't really get a chance to play as it was the only test drive where the sales guy insisted on coming along...he squeezed in the back seat with my 2 kids and was constantly leaning forward looking over my shoulder...that rubbed me the wrong way right away.

All said and done I picked up my new X5 a week ago. On top of that BMW gave me the best trade-in valuation ($9k higher than Audi was giving). If reliability was not a factor I would be in the Disco.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #15
Jimothy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 sDrive35i (F15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsebjimenez View Post
Is it me or the new Volvo XC90 looks just like a F15 from far away?
BLASPHEMER!!!
      08-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #16
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will copy the post to the other thread, thanks for the heads up.

Perhaps you are right about the handling of the Q7. Didn't really get a chance to play as it was the only test drive where the sales guy insisted on coming along...he squeezed in the back seat with my 2 kids and was constantly leaning forward looking over my shoulder...that rubbed me the wrong way right away.

All said and done I picked up my new X5 a week ago. On top of that BMW gave me the best trade-in valuation ($9k higher than Audi was giving). If reliability was not a factor I would be in the Disco.
Enjoy your X5! Did you get 3rd row?
In NYC, Upsate, or Long Island, I've never had the pleasure of having the car all to myself. Do dealers really do that? That sounds like a dream to me. Forget about squeezing in the back, one guy insisted he sit in the front seat while asking my Aunt to go back so "he could show me". He was like "you know how to do things" and my answer, "put it in Drive and it moves" he had attitude but sat in the back, did NOT say a word about the vehicle, not a single sales pitch or "cool stuff". That's the Audi for ya..... However Volvo and LR guys were all amazing, they showed me bunch of cool stuff.

If anyone knows any place in NYC where I could actually take the car for a drive all by myself, please do share. Maybe because these dealers let you drive cars that they plan to sell to others?
      08-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #17
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Why not consider a RR Velar? I personally think they look pretty sweet. [IMG]https://www.landrover.com/Images/L56...0x321.jpg?v=10[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:13 PM   #18
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks, yes we did get the 3rd row for the few times that it comes in handy. The X5 is our only vehicle so it's nice to have the flexibility.

This was my 2nd attempt with Audi, the first one was 5 years ago and I must say that both times I left with a negative impression/gut feel - can't quite put my finger on what it was but i remember the feeling distinctly.

I had a much better experience with the BMW, Volvo and Rover guys. They all were happy to let us take the vehicle for a drive and the Rover guy even said that he wasn't expecting us back so soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
Why not consider a RR Velar? I personally think they look pretty sweet. [IMG]https://www.landrover.com/Images/L56...0x321.jpg?v=10[/IMG]
The Velar looks amazing, especially all blacked out. I initially went in wanting the Velar but unfortunately it does not come with 7 seats.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #20
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
The Velar looks amazing, especially all blacked out. I initially went in wanting the Velar but unfortunately it does not come with 7 seats.

AH, thank you sir, I missed that very critical detail.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #21
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

I just leased 2017 XC90 T6 AWD R-Design.

The two main contenders for me were XC90 and X5 40e. I have a long commute to work so economy was at the top of my list.

Both looked very attractive to lease for 2017 models (below invoice pricing plus a good number of incentives). On X5, MSport was a must have for me so I was looking at MSRP around 70k with the configuration I wanted. Volvo, on the other hand, was approx. 10k cheaper for T6 R-Design. At the end, Volvo's monthly came out approx. $100 cheaper vs X5.

X5 (35i) might have slightly better driving dynamics vs Volvo but this advantage is negated with 40e. I also have an M car so none of the SUVs in that segment come close to its driving experience anyway.

Also, I wasn't planning on regularly charging the X5 (at work or at home) so I would never explore it's full efficiency potential. At the end, both are great cars and you can't go wrong with either choice.
hyde488.00
      08-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #22
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

BMWFanatic2008, can you share your pricing information and which dealer did you work with (if you don't mind), you can PM me if you wish. I am also considering T6 R-Design, even though the ones on the lot are not really what I want, I might have to compromise on the color. Did you get the Blue or the Red R-Design?