BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Rayatthebeach
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35i

35i build advice...

Hi all, Im new to forum (and BMW). Just got a new 2017 X5 35i s drive. Im not content with the power plant. Ive been reading about some boost controllers, like dinan, and also about MPPK, and also, something in conjunction with MPPK?

What is the starting point to get more power going without tripping check engine lights, or voiding warranty? I read on BMW site that MPPK brings it from 300 to 320hp? is that worth $1,000, when the dinan says it will bring it to 360hp for $2,000?

Also, I'd like to get some decent sounding exhaust, id like to hear it while under load, but not at cruise. any ideas on this as well? Also, will exhaust add any ponies?

Also, any other easy or inexpensive mods that anyone suggests that seem to be a big bang for the $ ?

Also, anyone have insight on whether towing with this vehicle is a good idea? Im thinking about installing a hitch for the occasional towing of my Harley hauler/enclosed 14' aluminum trailer. 3-4,000 lbs roughly. I only ask because i worry that it would over-heat the turbos or something?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rayatthebeach; 08-06-2017 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: add photo
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayatthebeach@yahoo.com View Post
Hi all, Im new to forum (and BMW). Just got a new 2017 X5 35i s drive. Im not content with the power plant. Ive been reading about some boost controllers, like dinan, and also about MPPK, and also, something in conjunction with MPPK?

What is the starting point to get more power going without tripping check engine lights, or voiding warranty? I read on BMW site that MPPK brings it from 300 to 320hp? is that worth $1,000, when the dinan says it will bring it to 360hp for $2,000?

Also, I'd like to get some decent sounding exhaust, id like to hear it while under load, but not at cruise. any ideas on this as well? Also, will exhaust add any ponies?

Also, any other easy or inexpensive mods that anyone suggests that seem to be a big bang for the $ ?

Also, anyone have insight on whether towing with this vehicle is a good idea? Im thinking about installing a hitch for the occasional towing of my Harley hauler/enclosed 14' aluminum trailer. 3-4,000 lbs roughly. I only ask because i worry that it would over-heat the turbos or something?

Any advice would be appreciated.
For exhaust you may want to look into MPE (it's OEM and won't void your warranty) it sounds noticeably nicer than stock exhaust
Exhaust will add a few ponies, but you won't notice it (if I'm not mistaken BMW states around 5hp increase at max rpm), so it's mainly for sound upgrade and not for adding power

For power I would suggest Dinan to keep warranty or if money is an issue - then look into piggybacks that you can add and take off if need be before going to a dealer

To be completely honest with you, 35i is not the powerplant to be "content" as you said (50i is more like it), but you already bought 35i and it's too late now - gotta work with what you have

As for towing, your 4000lbs shouldn't be a problem as many forum members tow on 35i bigger loads like this pic below roughly 6000lbs. Hopefully someone will chime in and correct me, but IMHO it's transmission that gets all the stress during towing and specifically it needs to have oil cooler (now I'm not sure if extra oil cooler for tranny comes standard or with tow pakcage only from BMW by default), but for occasional towing you should be just fine
Attached Images

Last edited by DuSh; 08-06-2017 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I'm pretty content with my 35i with MPPK Tune, (M performance power kit) and racechip ultimate tune chip. It's pretty fast both off the line and in the upper speeds.

According to BMW a 2015 and up 35i is said to do 0-60mph in 6.1 seconds! MPPK tune shaves 0.5 sec. from that time to make it in just 5.6 seconds for 0-60mph. With my racechip tune stacked, I'm going to be conservative and say at setting D, it shortens the 0-60 mph to 5.1 seconds. Consider this.. BMW is notorious to be very conservative on their performance numbers, where many car magazines have seen faster 0-60 times than stated by BMW. An X5 50i sprints from 0 to 60 in what 4.3 seconds?

In regards the exhaust, I do recommend MPE (m performance exhaust) which is OEM and it does sound much more aggressive than stock.

Here are a few video of mine on YouTube for reference.

Good luck.
      08-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

I'm curious to know, did you test drive a 35i before buying?

It sounds like a 50i would have been a better choice for you given your post - way more power, way better sound, and a more capable towing vehicle with the extra power (180 more pound feet of torque over the 35i).

For the 35i, the MPPK + Dinan seems to be popular here.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

just an FYI, Dinan isn't backed by warranty anymore. make sure you take this into consideration before doing it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
just an FYI, Dinan isn't backed by warranty anymore. make sure you take this into consideration before doing it.
Oh wow, good to know
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 11:04 PM   #7
Rayatthebeach
Rep

I test drove it. I didn't research anything. I felt it was doggy but assumed they all had same motor. Didn't ask about upgrade engine...and part of assumption was the 63k price tag. If I was gonna spend any more than that...I'd of bought what I wanted, a full size Range Rover.
I know I could buy a used Rover with a few clicks for 63k but after putting out 18k in repairs and upgrades in the 18 mos I owned my Maserati...I decided to go new with my next luxury import. So if I knew for a few grand more I could get 400 hp..it would have tipped me to rr. This car is over-priced imo for the amount of metal, leather and electronics, I'm afraid. I hope that some mild upgrades will have me feeling better about the Beamer badge.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayatthebeach@yahoo.com View Post
I test drove it. I didn't research anything. I felt it was doggy but assumed they all had same motor. Didn't ask about upgrade engine...and part of assumption was the 63k price tag. If I was gonna spend any more than that...I'd of bought what I wanted, a full size Range Rover.
I know I could buy a used Rover with a few clicks for 63k but after putting out 18k in repairs and upgrades in the 18 mos I owned my Maserati...I decided to go new with my next luxury import. So if I knew for a few grand more I could get 400 hp..it would have tipped me to rr. This car is over-priced imo for the amount of metal, leather and electronics, I'm afraid. I hope that some mild upgrades will have me feeling better about the Beamer badge.
Don't feel bad, 35i is a great engine still and a LOT more reliable than 50i
I changed valve cover gasket in n52 once and I think n55 (35i) is more or less same - relatively easy to work on and not as expensive to maintain, but I wouldn't even know where to start if something goes wrong with n63tu (50i). I basically live knowing that if something goes wrong after warranty - I'm done - as it will be cheaper to finance new vehcile than come up with $20k for 50i engine repair

P.S. if power is what you are after - there' always a way to install a aftermarket turbos on your 35i - as size of turbos is #1 bottleneck on that engine. I would assume tho, since you have a new x5 it makes no sense to void warranty. Maybe after it expires, if you'll want to keep the car and make it fast
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 12:58 AM   #9
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Don't feel bad, 35i is a great engine still and a LOT more reliable than 50i
I changed valve cover gasket in n52 once and I think n55 (35i) is more or less same - relatively easy to work on and not as expensive to maintain, but I wouldn't even know where to start if something goes wrong with n63tu (50i). I basically live knowing that if something goes wrong after warranty - I'm done - as it will be cheaper to finance new vehcile than come up with $20k for 50i engine repair

P.S. if power is what you are after - there' always a way to install a aftermarket turbos on your 35i - as size of turbos is #1 bottleneck on that engine. I would assume tho, since you have a new x5 it makes no sense to void warranty. Maybe after it expires, if you'll want to keep the car and make it fast
Where do get 20K for engine repair? Exaggerate much?

I have the non-TU N63 in my E70, a less reliable motor than that in the F15, and I've spent close to nothing on it in the past 3+ years since purchasing it used. Basically been bulletproof.

Definitely agree the N55 is a great motor, but OP is bummed out on its power output and sound, and questioning its towing potential. You can rag on the N63 all u want, but it sounds to me it would have been a better choice for OP.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Where do get 20K for engine repair? Exaggerate much?

I have the non-TU N63 in my E70, a less reliable motor than that in the F15, and I've spent close to nothing on it in the past 3+ years since purchasing it used. Basically been bulletproof.

Definitely agree the N55 is a great motor, but OP is bummed out on its power output and sound, and questioning its towing potential. You can rag on the N63 all u want, but it sounds to me it would have been a better choice for OP.
Hey man, I agree with you that we only mainly see threads when somethings goes wrong and hopefully you are right that n63tu is a reliable engine (knock on the wood). I'm just summarizing what I've read on various forums. One of them - 7 series for example: they have had lots of n63tu replacements due to bad valve steam seal: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=900367

As soon as warranty is up, a replacement engine n63tu will cost around $20k - that is also taken from delaership bmw pricing during engine replacement

I just really hope that in grand scheme of things percentage of faults is low. As for OP, I already said exactly what you said - 50i would have been a better choice for him

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #11
Rayatthebeach
Rep

just called dealer

Asked if they had any bigger engine models, as I may have switched out with him. He said that they dont sell many X5's with the bigger motor. He said the engine upgrade alone would be 8K which is why they dont sell very well so they dont carry them. Has none on the lot.
I wouldnt pay 8K more for that engine. If I could get near 400hp with 3k worth of engine mods, I think id be further ahead. I cant see paying 70-75 for an X5...No Way No How. Just seems over-priced to me. Youre in maserati/rover money at that point. The Levante has 350hp stock engine. I hate to say it, but I'd take the new Maserati for even money.

My X5 was a demo...3k miles, I paid like 55k very nicely loaded except the powerplant...thats far enough from 75k that I can live with it.

Is the MPPK with Dinan overlay the best option?
Will the warranty be voided from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 05:09 PM   #12
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

I'm willing to bet the MY 19 X5 steps up the engine HP. and agree, lot of coin for a base model car that sticks you with unwanted options to get basics (comfort access for example....)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 06:03 PM   #13
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayatthebeach View Post
Asked if they had any bigger engine models, as I may have switched out with him. He said that they dont sell many X5's with the bigger motor. He said the engine upgrade alone would be 8K which is why they dont sell very well so they dont carry them. Has none on the lot.
I wouldnt pay 8K more for that engine. If I could get near 400hp with 3k worth of engine mods, I think id be further ahead. I cant see paying 70-75 for an X5...No Way No How. Just seems over-priced to me. Youre in maserati/rover money at that point. The Levante has 350hp stock engine. I hate to say it, but I'd take the new Maserati for even money.

My X5 was a demo...3k miles, I paid like 55k very nicely loaded except the powerplant...thats far enough from 75k that I can live with it.

OP with MPPK you are still going to have one of the fastest SUV (SAV) on the road no doubt and as you said it's not worth paying $8k more to get less reliable engine haha. Besides I really love how MPE sounds on 35i - one of the best sounding cars imho

P.S. That been said, my 50i benchflashed at BPC - I am at around 3.9 sec 0-60 and 445 awhp and 520 awtq on dyno - that's about roughly (depending on coefficient of AWD loss + automatic tranny loss) 530-550hp and 625 tq. AFAIK the only faster SUV out there is Model X P100D
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #14
surfcali
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Mineral White

I did MPPK, MPE, KW V3s - here are my thoughts on them:

1. MPPK - debatable if it's worth it, but a bit more low end power, I don't feel it much on high end. Other forum members hyped this up and I was disappointed after getting it. However that being said, I still could never go back to the original stock mapping.

2. MPE - sounds great during cold start, but much quieter when warm. Burbles audible mostly when in a parking garage - not as frequent or loud if you are coming from an e92 with MPE. My friend has an M235i with MPE and his is much louder than on my X5. Again, other forum members overhyped this for me. The youtube videos are in parking garage that echos. Advice: Straight pipe to quad tips - and if there is drone, add a resonator. I've heard 2 muffler deletes and they sound pretty good. PM me if you want me to text you a vid.

3. KW V3 - so far, so good, but so expensive. However, compared to the spring options, this is the only option for those who like the low look. Eibach springs keep stock height look in my opinion. H&R looks pretty good though! I'd probably just do that if I were to lease the car and go back to stock.

Last edited by surfcali; 08-07-2017 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #15
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey man, I agree with you that we only mainly see threads when somethings goes wrong and hopefully you are right that n63tu is a reliable engine (knock on the wood). I'm just summarizing what I've read on various forums. One of them - 7 series for example: they have had lots of n63tu replacements due to bad valve steam seal: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=900367

As soon as warranty is up, a replacement engine n63tu will cost around $20k - that is also taken from delaership bmw pricing during engine replacement

I just really hope that in grand scheme of things percentage of faults is low. As for OP, I already said exactly what you said - 50i would have been a better choice for him

Cheers
Yessir, cheers!

I don't visit the 7 series forums, but frequent the X5 (E70 & F15) forums fairly frequently. Never heard of any X5 owner needing a full engine replacement? The biggest repair, and it's not that common, is the valve guide seals, a $9K fix if go through the dealer. Per my SA, that's the biggest/worst of the repairs with the N63.

I also own an E90 M3, which comes with the rod bearing issue. If those fail, a replacement motor is needed, 10K-25K depending on engine details (not super common, but way more common than N63 replacement). I couldn't even imagine going through that, so I had my rod bearings replaced.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      08-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #16
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Yessir, cheers!

I don't visit the 7 series forums, but frequent the X5 (E70 & F15) forums fairly frequently. Never heard of any X5 owner needing a full engine replacement? The biggest repair, and it's not that common, is the valve guide seals, a $9K fix if go through the dealer. Per my SA, that's the biggest/worst of the repairs with the N63.

I also own an E90 M3, which comes with the rod bearing issue. If those fail, a replacement motor is needed, 10K-25K depending on engine details (not super common, but way more common than N63 replacement). I couldn't even imagine going through that, so I had my rod bearings replaced.
Thanks, that's reassuring to hear!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #17
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayatthebeach View Post

OP with MPPK you are still going to have one of the fastest SUV (SAV) on the road no doubt and as you said it's not worth paying $8k more to get less reliable engine haha. Besides I really love how MPE sounds on 35i - one of the best sounding cars imho

P.S. That been said, my 50i benchflashed at BPC - I am at around 3.9 sec 0-60 and 445 awhp and 520 awtq on dyno - that's about roughly (depending on coefficient of AWD loss + automatic tranny loss) 530-550hp and 625 tq. AFAIK the only faster SUV out there is Model X P100D
Forgot that monster called the Cayenne Turbo S!

But holy hell thats a lot of power from the 50i. <4s puts it in M6 GC and F10 M5 territory.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      08-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #18
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post

But holy hell thats a lot of power from the 50i. <4s puts it in M6 GC and F10 M5 territory.
Yessir! However, I'm only competitive to them when they are stock. If you mod F10 m5 - it will be buy-buy time for me
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #19
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Yessir! However, I'm only competitive to them when they are stock. If you mod F10 m5 - it will be buy-buy time for me
Negative. They have way too much trouble putting power down to the pavment with just stock hp/ torque. I'd really think they'd have an even harder time with a tune....maybe marginal improvement? They're basically 4000+ lb boats with no AWD. LOL.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      08-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #20
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Negative. They have way too much trouble putting power down to the pavment with just stock hp/ torque. I'd really think they'd have an even harder time with a tune....maybe marginal improvement? They're basically 4000+ lb boats with no AWD. LOL.
That's exactly what a tech doing dyno told me too! That's reassuring
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #21
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
What? I am not understanding your response - Dinan website shows the warranty terms for U.S. and Canadian spec cars current as of this morning.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #22
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
What? I am not understanding your response - Dinan website shows the warranty terms for U.S. and Canadian spec cars current as of this morning.
talk to BMW about it. I've talked to 3 of the dealers and there are also threads on the E90 and X1 forums specifically about this. I recently traded in my Dinan tuned X1 35i and they almost worluldnt take it because it was Dinan tuned but still had remaining factory warranty.
Appreciate 0