BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #1
sid369
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RAV4

CPO BMW X5 or new MDX

Hi all,

I really can't decide, which should I go for, the new MDX has a lot of features in it and after discount would be about $5000 - $6000 difference between the new MDX and a 2014 CPO X5.

In my area of about 100 mile radius there are only a handful of M sports in white and all of them are about $46,000 with 40,000-50,000 miles on them.

The MDX has all the safety features plus the 3rd row which would be handy when the inlaws visit for short drives around town.

I am not crazy about the styling of the MDX with so much chrome and I don't like the non msport look on the X5 as well specially the front bumper.

I do feel like the standard seats on the X5 looks cheap and doesn't feel luxurious at all compared to its competitors. and MDX will have more space as well.

As far as driving dynamics are concerned, I will mainly be driving mostly in city limits on straight roads, but would love if i get some feel of instant acceleration for the few occasional times that I will be driving it alone.

Do any of you have both cars?
Anyone here who owns a CPO X5 and how has been your experience and how long have you had it for, any issues with maintenance etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

My friend has MDX and is very happy with it. We were choosing it together, driving to different dealerships. I can say that among semi-premium SUVs - MDX is one of the best. From pure economic perspective, longevity, reliability and resale value you are better off with MDX. You don't buy X5 because it's more reliable than Japanese SUVs or if you have fixed income - X5 is not the car you want

I'm a happy owner of CPO 2014 X5 50i and my experience has been pure excitement so far, I've only opened hood to change oil and to take one more look at that Bavarian V8 Twin Turbo that soon will be gone (you know before we all cave in for boring electric cars)

In short: in your case - go with MDX
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
sid369
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for your response and I am surprised this being a X5 forum, I thought all i would get is X5 recommendation, but I appreciate your logical recommendation of the MDX.

Every time I think I should buy the MDX because its reliable and spacious and has so many convenient features, but somehow the design is lacking both exterior and interior feels dated. I then go to the post your X5 shot and drool over those pics and change my mind. haha

There is one pic I saw with red interior with grey exterior i think is an Msport. Do you get red interior on the X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
magred2001
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

MDX! I've owned multiple BMW's includingM3's, M5, X5M's and currently have a 2017 X5! The BMW will not hold it's value like the MDX and service and maintenance on the BMW will be much higher! Best of luck on your decision!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
burnurass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i MSport

Go drive both and make your decision. The MDX drives very well but I feel like it's a bit cramped compared to the X5. 3rd row is not too useful just like the X5's.
The MDX is definitely the better value if you like everything else about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
Hrmmm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

I had the exact same dilemma. I was evaluating/comparing all the SUVs I could find, and it came down to a new MDX or CPO 2014 X5 (w/ M pkg). The MDX seemed like the most economical/responsible choice... the reliability, 3rd row/interior space, mileage, price, etc. But I really didn't love the styling, and I had previously come from an Acura TL and wanted something different. So I thought what the heck, screw practicality this time... time to get something I really want, enjoy driving, and love the looks.

I've had it for 2 months, and the only problems I've had have been minor (and are currently being fixed under warranty while they do an oil change):
- steering wheel column making creaking sound while retracting when turning off car
- floor mat velcro coming undone (replacing with new mats)
- cigarette lighter not working (likely blown fuse)

And so far, I don't regret my decision at all. I actually look forward to driving the X5, and sometime I just stand there looking at it like a fool.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
beachcomberx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrmmm View Post
I had the exact same dilemma. I was evaluating/comparing all the SUVs I could find, and it came down to a new MDX or CPO 2014 X5 (w/ M pkg). The MDX seemed like the most economical/responsible choice... the reliability, 3rd row/interior space, mileage, price, etc. But I really didn't love the styling, and I had previously come from an Acura TL and wanted something different. So I thought what the heck, screw practicality this time... time to get something I really want, enjoy driving, and love the looks.

I've had it for 2 months, and the only problems I've had have been minor (and are currently being fixed under warranty while they do an oil change):
- steering wheel column making creaking sound while retracting when turning off car
- floor mat velcro coming undone (replacing with new mats)
- cigarette lighter not working (likely blown fuse)

And so far, I don't regret my decision at all. I actually look forward to driving the X5, and sometime I just stand there looking at it like a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrmmm View Post

Or take pictures of it and post in "random X5 shot of the day". You don't see that in an MDX forum
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

We test drove a 3 row seating MDX when we were looking. While we thought it drove OK (not as nice as the X5) we could not stand the look. The 3rd row makes its look like an over grown station wagon (on the outside), it's the first thing we thought of when looking at it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
thanks for your response and I am surprised this being a X5 forum, I thought all i would get is X5 recommendation, but I appreciate your logical recommendation of the MDX.

Every time I think I should buy the MDX because its reliable and spacious and has so many convenient features, but somehow the design is lacking both exterior and interior feels dated. I then go to the post your X5 shot and drool over those pics and change my mind. haha

There is one pic I saw with red interior with grey exterior i think is an Msport. Do you get red interior on the X5.
Red interior is awesome! It's hard to find. My dream car would be a X5 50i (I'm biased towards V8) silver exterior (or AW as a second choice) with red interior and DHP (this is a must have for me, but unfortunately I don't have it). Ironically M-Sport is not as important for me, as I found a OEM BMW Aerodynamic package for non M-Sports and it looks IMHO very good

IMHO it all depends on your financial situation and prospects and plans in near future - if you have kids and need money to put away for their education and/or have financial difficulties and/or have home renovation coming up or other expenses etc - then MDX is a much better choice. On the other hand if you are lucky enough to be able to afford X5 and not get regrets (financially) - then that choice is obvious too
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
hdAge324.00
Iaro113.50
      09-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #10
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

You will likely be better in the end with a new mdx than a used 2014 x5. I've driven the mdx and while it's decently quick and handles well, it's just not on par with the rear wheel drive based x5 when it comes to driving dynamics. But if that's not critical to you, and you are not doing 4 wheel drifts off exit ramps, I would get the mdx. Brand new, still nice. Likely never have any issues with it. One factor though is the perceived status if that matters to you. People see bmw and think rich guy. Mdx=soccer mom. Lol. I don't think that, but that's how people perceive things.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #11
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I'll add... when I see mdx, lexus, highlander, pathfinder, etc. I think front wheel drive jacked up family car. When I see a bmw suv, I think rear wheel drive sports car that happens to also have four-wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 08:52 PM   #12
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

All of the above, but for peace of mind go with the mdx seeing that you'll get the 3rd seats that you need and full warranty coverage. however you can get the mdx for the wife and get yourself the X5
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
ronmexico385
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Luxury Line

We looked at the mdx before buying my wife's 2014 cpo x5 and I seem to recall reading a lot of consumer reviews complaining of mechanical issues in 1-2 year old mdx's, namely transmission problems. Something to look into.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #14
Scott2.0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i and 2015 i3 REx

Simple. Do you care about the driving experience or not?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #15
sid369
Private First Class
Rep

Yes ideally it would be great if my wife would drive the MDX and I can then get the X5, but she likes driving either compact SUV or sedans.

Are the seats comfortable on the X5? doe sit absorb road imperfections well?
One thing we noticed was when we had our BMW 3 series was that it gave great road feedback, but was also jarring on rough roads, now that we have a MB C300, it absorbs the bumps very well. It does not have the same road feedback as the 3 series, but honestly I am fine with the C300.

So you all agree that a X5 CPO is not a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #16
Scott2.0
Private First Class
Rep

I this a CPO X5 is a great idea and I love mine (50i). I would have never even considered the Acura though. My priorities were both sportiness and luxury though.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #17
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes ideally it would be great if my wife would drive the MDX and I can then get the X5, but she likes driving either compact SUV or sedans.

One thing we noticed was when we had our BMW 3 series was that it gave great road feedback, but was also jarring on rough roads, now that we have a MB C300, it absorbs the bumps very well. It does not have the same road feedback as the 3 series, but honestly I am fine with the C300.

Seats on X5 is like best seats I've ever had (and I had many). X5 suspension absorbs bumps very well - I'm on 20'rims and I don't stop for any potholes/bumps. In fact I wish it was less comfy and more sporty - I regret not going 22 inch rims. And I love comfort, trust me - I would be complaining first if there was a hint of jarring ride. Suspension on X5 is very VERY capable in terms of absorbing bumps.

X5 CPO is an excellent idea! However, it's up to you to decide what do you want? You can't have reliability, affordable price, luxury and performance in one. Something has to give. You have 2 pills: Red one and Blue one
Choose Red one and you will know luxury and performance (BMW) or choose Blue one and you get reliability and affordable maintenance in the long run (MDX)
Red one is more financially burdening, but more satisfying too. Blue one is the correct choice for a good family man who thinks about finances in the long run and acts according to his budget. Neither of choices are bad or good by themselves. We don't have your financial info and your specifics - only you can decide. Short answer is get BMW if you are ok financially or get MDX if you going to kill yourself and have sleepless nights due to expenses on maintenance and poor decisions buying expensive German SUV

I said go with MDX in my first post - because I got a hint that if you have to ask - it means you are uncertain. And person can not be uncertain about X5 BMW - that never happens. Not in this life. Everyone likes it. You can only be uncertain if you are not sure about your financial situation. And I suspect that is the case. Hence I thought MDX is a safer choice for you. The force is not with you yet. You are not ready yet for the dark side

Come back in several years when you'll feel the force inside you strong
Appreciate 1
WI_Rob93.50
      09-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #18
Dataready
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Quote:

Seats on X5 is like best seats I've ever had (and I had many). X5 suspension absorbs bumps very well - I'm on 20'rims and I don't stop for any potholes/bumps. In fact I wish it was less comfy and more sporty - I regret not going 22 inch rims. And I love comfort, trust me - I would be complaining first if there was a hint of jarring ride. Suspension on X5 is very VERY capable in terms of absorbing bumps.

X5 CPO is an excellent idea! However, it's up to you to decide what do you want? You can't have reliability, affordable price, luxury and performance in one. Something has to give. You have 2 pills: Red one and Blue one
Choose Red one and you will know luxury and performance (BMW) or choose Blue one and you get reliability and affordable maintenance in the long run (MDX)
Red one is more financially burdening, but more satisfying too. Blue one is the correct choice for a good family man who thinks about finances in the long run and acts according to his budget. Neither of choices are bad or good by themselves. We don't have your financial info and your specifics - only you can decide. Short answer is get BMW if you are ok financially or get MDX if you going to kill yourself and have sleepless nights due to expenses on maintenance and poor decisions buying expensive German SUV

I said go with MDX in my first post - because I got a hint that if you have to ask - it means you are uncertain. And person can not be uncertain about X5 BMW - that never happens. Not in this life. Everyone likes it. You can only be uncertain if you are not sure about your financial situation. And I suspect that is the case. Hence I thought MDX is a safer choice for you. The force is not with you yet. You are not ready yet for the dark side

Come back in several years when you'll feel the force inside you strong
NEW mdx OR CPO x5 = new mdx = less headache = less trouble.
CPO= possible headache = this is not covered= this happened because the old owner did not do that= = etc.

Your choice. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #19
Scott2.0
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataready View Post
NEW mdx OR CPO x5 = new mdx = less headache = less trouble.
CPO= possible headache = this is not covered= this happened because the old owner did not do that= = etc.

Your choice. Good luck
Sure but at what cost? Driving enjoyment? Everyone’s equation will be different. To me, the sacrifice would be too great.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #20
sid369
Private First Class
Rep

I have decided on the X5, now I want to find the right one.

M sport or no Msport?

I like Msport steering wheel, feels more substantial, standard feels cheap.

Seats, are you guys talking about regular seats? I don't want sport seats, multi counter would be great.

In terms of options

1. cold package
2. premium package
3. driver assistance package

what else? what size wheels gives you the fat tires?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #21
Scott2.0
Private First Class
Rep

M Sport or bust. 20” wheels will come with. Every M Sport I’ve seen has multi contour. Not sure if they’re part of the package or not. With ventilation, they're very firm and not too comfortable IMO, but they’re OK.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #22
sid369
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
M Sport or bust. 20” wheels will come with. Every M Sport I’ve seen has multi contour. Not sure if they’re part of the package or not. With ventilation, they're very firm and not too comfortable IMO, but they’re OK.
Scott - do you have the Msport and multi-contour seats? and if you do how do you like it?
Appreciate 0