BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #23
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
When I see a bmw suv, I think rear wheel drive sports car that happens to also have four-wheel drive.
... or FWD (X1)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #24
Scott2.0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i and 2015 i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Scott - do you have the Msport and multi-contour seats? and if you do how do you like it?
Yes, I do to both. Overall, I love the vehicle ('14 50i). The seats I give a pass, but barely. They are very firm and I still haven't quite found the sweet spot. My seats are ventilated, which many comments state that they are less comfortable than their non-ventilated examples.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #25
Hrmmm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

I have the M Sport and multi-contour seats (w/o ventilation). My seats are very comfortable, and multiple people have commented on how comfortable the front passenger seat is as well. For me, the M package was a must in terms of aesthetics.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #26
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
I have decided on the X5, now I want to find the right one.

M sport or no Msport?

I like Msport steering wheel, feels more substantial, standard feels cheap.

Seats, are you guys talking about regular seats? I don't want sport seats, multi counter would be great.

In terms of options

1. cold package
2. premium package
3. driver assistance package

what else? what size wheels gives you the fat tires?
I agree with Scott about M-Sport - it gives you better steering wheel with paddle shifters. The only thing I say "bad" about M-Sport is that when you'll have a choice later down the road to add front lip - you'll find that everyone adds same semi-circle front lip that just isn't "badass" and every other M-Sport has it - but it's just my opinion. I'm sure there can be some custom lip available if one looks hard enough for it

DHP is fantastic package - but extremely rare to find - it will basically convert your x5 to a Porsche Cayenne handling wise (or as close to it as possible)

Go with LED headlights if you can - it's extremely expensive to retrofit

IF you can find one with MPBK (M Perofrmance brake Kit) - go for it - but you can always add it later ($2.4k ouch) - but it makes x5 look how it should be really

If you can find a LED dashboard - that's a plus too, but again they are rare on used market

HUD is VERY nice to have

Grab 7 seater - just in case - you never know, but if you don't need it nevermind

Finding right color combo ext/interior is hard too

Best advise is to test drive at least 2-3 different X5s and get the feel for what you like

Also - do you want power (50i V8 twin-power) or you are ok with inline 6 cyl engines? IMHO best X5 is a 50i with DHP - everything else is secondary - again just my opinion, don't want to offend anyone

P.S. Almost forgot: learn on my mistakes and don't go with 20 inch rims (or keep them for winter setup) - they are ok on X5 but not great. 22 inch is the way to go. Not kidding, it's just design of our x5 and it's wheel wells is such that sometimes even 22 inch rims look a bit small lol and you'll be able to go with 335mm rear tires on 22inch rims

Last edited by DuSh; 09-25-2017 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #27
sid369
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RAV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
I agree with Scott about M-Sport - it gives you better steering wheel with paddle shifters. The only thing I say "bad" about M-Sport is that when you'll have a choice later down the road to add front lip - you'll find that everyone adds same semi-circle front lip that just isn't "badass" and every other M-Sport has it - but it's just my opinion. I'm sure there can be some custom lip available if one looks hard enough for it

DHP is fantastic package - but extremely rare to find - it will basically convert your x5 to a Porsche Cayenne handling wise (or as close to it as possible)

Go with LED headlights if you can - it's extremely expensive to retrofit

IF you can find one with MPBK (M Perofrmance brake Kit) - go for it - but you can always add it later ($2.4k ouch) - but it makes x5 look how it should be really

If you can find a LED dashboard - that's a plus too, but again they are rare on used market

HUD is VERY nice to have

Grab 7 seater - just in case - you never know, but if you don't need it nevermind

Finding right color combo ext/interior is hard too

Best advise is to test drive at least 2-3 different X5s and get the feel for what you like

Also - do you want power (50i V8 twin-power) or you are ok with inline 6 cyl engines? IMHO best X5 is a 50i with DHP - everything else is secondary - again just my opinion, don't want to offend anyone

P.S. Almost forgot: learn on my mistakes and don't go with 20 inch rims (or keep them for winter setup) - they are ok on X5 but not great. 22 inch is the way to go. Not kidding, it's just design of our x5 and it's wheel wells is such that sometimes even 22 inch rims look a bit small lol and you'll be able to go with 335mm rear tires on 22inch rims
I definitely will go for the 6 cyl engine, wouldn't the 22 rims make he ride harsh?

Also, what do you mean by drive 2-3 different X5, like msport vs. non msport, with standard seats, with multi-contour setas etc.?
There is only 1 local dealer so whatever they have is what I will be able to drive or if I locate one in the 50-100 mile radius it will be something that I will negotiate online and then go to buy.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #28
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I definitely will go for the 6 cyl engine, wouldn't the 22 rims make he ride harsh?

Also, what do you mean by drive 2-3 different X5, like msport vs. non msport, with standard seats, with multi-contour setas etc.?
There is only 1 local dealer so whatever they have is what I will be able to drive or if I locate one in the 50-100 mile radius it will be something that I will negotiate online and then go to buy.
Yes, try to drive at least different seats and/or different suspensions (active/stock). When I was test driving I thought what's the point of driving 2 X5 (one was M-Sport another was no line). Difference was very noticeable. I still don't understand why, maybe M-Sport had active suspension and firmer seats

You might check out diesel saves fuel man and torque is veeeeery good
The more you test drive the better, but I can understand limitations of course considering you have only 1 local dealership. IMHO 2 or 3 test drives on different x5s is ideal

About 22 rims: imagine softest riding car you've been in - that's what 20 inch rims (no run flats) feel like. IMHO 22 rims will just make it perfect ride - like stock civic/corolla in terms of jarring. My previous 328i on 18 inch rims had more jarring ride than my current x5 on 20 inch wheels
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #29
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Looks like I am late to the party but I also shopped X5 and MDX (along with ML350). The three are only somewhat comparable. The ML350 didn't have anything close to the ride I wanted, so for me it was X5 or MDX. I drive my wife's Odyssey a lot and I felt like the MDX was the same vehicle - this on top of the X5 being a blast to drive and a lot nicer looking cemented my decision to get the X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #30
sid369
Private First Class
Rep

I have been reading some conflicting information from owners, some say that the ride is smooth and it soaks up bumps pretty well, other I hear say that no matter the wheel size it will be jarring and bumpy on rough roads, its more sports oriented than comfort.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #31
Scott2.0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i and 2015 i3 REx

I find my X5 to have a very comfortable ride, even with M Sport 20s. It's actually too soft IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #32
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 C43 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I think 46k is too much for one with 40-50k miles. Even with M Sport and xDrive50i
      09-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #33
sid369
Private First Class
Rep

Ok another question regarding the AC, is the AC an issue only if you have rear zone climate?

Just want to make sure that I don't get disappointed with the AC as I would not be paying attention to it during the test drive. Good to know that Msport 2o inch has a soft ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #34
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok another question regarding the AC, is the AC an issue only if you have rear zone climate?

Just want to make sure that I don't get disappointed with the AC as I would not be paying attention to it during the test drive. Good to know that Msport 2o inch has a soft ride.
20 inch has a soft ride, BUT it has be non run-flat. With run-flats even my 19 inch stock ones had jarring ride. Run-Flats have just too stiff sidewall - it doesn't matter the size, even my 16 inch run-flats on my previous e90 had jarring ride

About AC - here's the deal: air volume pumped is same no matter which x5 you'll buy, BUT if you have rear AC option (4 climate zones) then air volume is split between front and rear and that's why people complain about front not pumping out enough air. In reality same amount of air is pumped out into the car cabin - it's just split like almost in half between rear and front. Hence front driver and passenger may feel like there'not enough air coming out.
The thing is in many other cars I had previously that had rear air too - air for rear vents was almost like an afterthought - it was basically very weak and tunnels to the rear vents were tiny. BMW in x5 did a good job by really splitting the air and using huge ducts to the rear vents. That's why rear passengers are getting a very good amount of air. And on the same time that air is robbed from front vents.
I think it's just a choice and preference for those who drive rear passengers a lot and need a real heat/cold in the back and not afterthought/gimmick like many other manufacturers.
Rear air can be switched off in climate menu - and then you'll get all the amount of air to the front vents - problem solved, BUT it seems that after each restart car switches rear vents again and you have to manually disable them every time. This is easily coded out, but this is also why many complain
Just my opinion

How to check if you get a 4 zone climate control x5: just go to climate menu and take a checkmark off the rear vents - and you are done - all the air will go to front vents. Then put air to middle settings and you'l feel that it's already enough. Put it on max and you'll feel that it's pretty strong and IMHO there's no need for more at all. Also make sure you direct air to dashboard vents and not only to the windshield and legs
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #35
Vangotzi
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i?

I am currently shopping for a 2014 CPO X5 50i also. Test drove this one yesterday and it seems a sweet deal. Only the mileage is a bit high(44k). Now, the CPO programs only gives 5 year/unlimited warranty from the original service date??

Should I go for this? Thanks!

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified/2014...3276?zip=30308
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #36
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangotzi View Post
I am currently shopping for a 2014 CPO X5 50i also. Test drove this one yesterday and it seems a sweet deal. Only the mileage is a bit high(44k). Now, the CPO programs only gives 5 year/unlimited warranty from the original service date??

Should I go for this? Thanks!

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified/2014...3276?zip=30308
IMHO that's a good deal for a 50i CPO. The thing is prices vary in all states. In NY you'll be hard pressed to find 50i for such price
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #37
Vangotzi
Rep

Quote:
IMHO that's a good deal for a 50i CPO. The thing is prices vary in all states. In NY you'll be hard pressed to find 50i for such price
Would I be able to negotiate another year of warranty? A bit worried about the reliability of the 50i.

Here is another good deal(M sports, DHP, executive and etc.), but it has three owners and carfax shows battery problems already...

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified/2014...2064?zip=30308
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #38
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangotzi View Post
Would I be able to negotiate another year of warranty? A bit worried about the reliability of the 50i.

Here is another good deal(M sports, DHP, executive and etc.), but it has three owners and carfax shows battery problems already...

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified/2014...2064?zip=30308
My dealership was VERY hard to negotiate. They know these cars move fast, so my guess would be you can try lower price $1-2k but they don't go lower than that (if any). Try anyway

You had me at DHP I would jump on that - but I'm biased and I'm all about speed and handling. DHP is a GOD sent option for x5 - it's a small price to pay to get Porsche Cayenne like handling. Simply put - x5 50i with DHP (and a benchflash) can outpace a stock M3 on the track - not bad for a 7 seater SUV lol

As for reliability - this iteration of N63TU is more or less issue free (compared to previous generation). So far (knock on the wood) I haven't seen any problems with this engine. F15 X5 itself is more or less reliable too (again compared to previous gen). Battery is not an issue - i have 2014 50i too and all you need is to charge it in EcoPro mode from time to time - if you drive constantly in Sport+ it may drain after a year or two and may require replacement. For me it's not an issue - I always put it in Eco Pro mode when I'm coming home to recharge the battery
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #39
Vangotzi
Rep

Quote:
My dealership was VERY hard to negotiate. They know these cars move fast, so my guess would be you can try lower price $1-2k but they don't go lower than that (if any). Try anyway

You had me at DHP I would jump on that - but I'm biased and I'm all about speed and handling. DHP is a GOD sent option for x5 - it's a small price to pay to get Porsche Cayenne like handling. Simply put - x5 50i with DHP (and a benchflash) can outpace a stock M3 on the track - not bad for a 7 seater SUV lol

As for reliability - this iteration of N63TU is more or less issue free (compared to previous generation). So far (knock on the wood) I haven't seen any problems with this engine. F15 X5 itself is more or less reliable too (again compared to previous gen). Battery is not an issue - i have 2014 50i too and all you need is to charge it in EcoPro mode from time to time - if you drive constantly in Sport+ it may drain after a year or two and may require replacement. For me it's not an issue - I always put it in Eco Pro mode when I'm coming home to recharge the battery
Thanks for explaining the battery "problem"! Now, you made me really want to drive 100 miles to test drive it. The V8 already made me smile from the second it starts. The only downside for me is the color. All the cars I have owned are silver/gray...

The dealer I went said they don't negotiate on price.. I think 1-2k should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #40
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Had been a fan of Acura when they were making Legend, but nowadays, they are standard of horrid design in my book. So no. No matter how reliable it is, look alone kills the deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #41
iRyan_3
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F15 X5 m-sport

my Vote goes to the X5 if you're getting the M-Sport and CPO. I'm an internet manager at the #4 dealer in the country which is in Pembroke Pines, FL and take my word for it the 2017 MDX is a hell of a vehicle. comfort, quiet, handles well (AWD) decent power and maintenance is dirt cheap....however there's something about the X5 M-Sport or M thats just amazing. I currently have a 15 CPO M-sport..with 22s" and lowered a little and it's an amazing feeling everyday driving that thing. If you're not getting an M-sport then my vote is the MDX.....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #42
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

I was in the same situation and gave serious consideration to the MDX, XC90, and GLE.
The Volvo has great safety, good looks, and great interior appearance but I don't love the big screen. Reliability is a big question mark and tipped me away. The deal killer was Chinese ownership.
The MDX has lots to like but the reliability is surprisingly poor according to US News web page. (https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/acura/mdx) My wife did not like the exterior, "It looks cheap."
Mercedes seems to be still suffering from their period of financial troubles. The interior has nice bits but then misses on so many other points. The exterior is bland to me. The massage seats are GREAT. Steering feel is way too light for me and according to the SA can not be altered via programming. The forums I searched did not seem to have the same level of enthusiast support for things like modding and coding. It was the only vehicle I tested that squeeled the tires on my on-ramp test. The GLE-43 was a hoot but exhaust note may get old.

When I went back to the X5, it just felt right.

My ONLY concern at this point is the lack of small-offset crash data. The X5 scores very well in the completed tests and the results are better than the Volvo or Mercedes. Lots of vehicles do well in the NHTSA tests and even the other IIHS tests. The question of the missing small offset data is a big one. Looking at the Dodge Durango as an example, there is very real possibility of serious injury from a small offset crash in a vehicle that otherwise tests the same as the X5:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...ngo-4-door-suv
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh.../x5-4-door-suv

Because I have a fairly strong preference for the X5, I am going to take the chance on it in hopes that I never experience a small-offset type crash. I think that is a safe bet.

Presumably the '19 X5 will be fully tested.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #43
sid369
Private First Class
Rep

I went to my local dealership to test drive the X5, went with an open mind. they had a 2014 cpo with 20,000 miles black for $39,000 (tempted). When I drove it, it felt great sport was better but the ride is harsh, going over imperfections, bumps you can feel it not able to soak it up, in comfort it is better though. It handled great and the Multi-contour seats were really good, first time experiencing them.

On our way back I told him, I was interested in white and Msport, he said they just have one that is going to go through CPO process but he could show it to me. This was beautiful, the person had a lot of stuff added, ceramic controls actually is nice in person, black headliners, 3rd row seat (barely useable though). it had 30,000 miles 2015 but they listed at $49,900...too high I think, I asked him to send me a copy of the build but still haven't received it. I think it did not have blindspot but did have surround view.

if they price it right, I will jump on this one, I loved it, however he did say that msport in comfort is like non msport in comfort.

So wanted to get your opinions again on ride quality, also blind spot monitoring option a must have or not?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #44
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I went to my local dealership to test drive the X5, went with an open mind. they had a 2014 cpo with 20,000 miles black for $39,000 (tempted). When I drove it, it felt great sport was better but the ride is harsh, going over imperfections, bumps you can feel it not able to soak it up, in comfort it is better though. It handled great and the Multi-contour seats were really good, first time experiencing them.

On our way back I told him, I was interested in white and Msport, he said they just have one that is going to go through CPO process but he could show it to me. This was beautiful, the person had a lot of stuff added, ceramic controls actually is nice in person, black headliners, 3rd row seat (barely useable though). it had 30,000 miles 2015 but they listed at $49,900...too high I think, I asked him to send me a copy of the build but still haven't received it. I think it did not have blindspot but did have surround view.

if they price it right, I will jump on this one, I loved it, however he did say that msport in comfort is like non msport in comfort.

So wanted to get your opinions again on ride quality, also blind spot monitoring option a must have or not?
That harsh ride you felt - is due to Run-Flat tires - you are basically riding on a stiff side wall (half-metal mesh) - it shakes the whole car on imperfections. Without Run-Flats x5 rides like silky smooth even on 21 inch wheels
Appreciate 0