BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
SC_Caniac
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 x50i MSport

KW V3 - Question for owners - Issues and Concerns

I recently installed a set of KW V3 coil overs on my 2016 X6 50i. Install went smoothly except I've got an "issue" that I want to poll those that have done the same.

Whenever I go over bumps slowly or make turns, like onto another street or driveway...or round-a-bout, I get spring noise/chatter from the left rear. It's sounds like the spring is going "boing" constantly and it's only from the left rear. I've rechecked the installation and replaced the top seat. It's like the spring is loose and banging around.

Please don't respond by telling me "a simple Google would show you thrust sheets....". I'm aware of thrust sheets and their uses. My concern is that it's only on the left rear corner. I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues with a single spring? Right side is fine and doesn't chatter.

I also went in for a four wheel alignment. They were able to reset the rear, but could not bring the front camber into specs. They had to order special adjustable upper control arms to install....another $1,800 in parts I hadn't planned on.... Any one else have this problem?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 01:42 AM   #2
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

You already said you replaced the top seat, but did you tighten the top nut down enough? I had the exact same popping/banging sound on a different car after spring install and a loose top seat but was the culprit. It was on tight enough as to not make the noise in general, but when I went over a speed bump or a slow, tight turn, the spring compressed enough to give the top hat/spring room to move, causing the popping sound.
      10-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #3
SC_Caniac
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 x50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
You already said you replaced the top seat, but did you tighten the top nut down enough? I had the exact same popping/banging sound on a different car after spring install and a loose top seat but was the culprit. It was on tight enough as to not make the noise in general, but when I went over a speed bump or a slow, tight turn, the spring compressed enough to give the top hat/spring room to move, causing the popping sound.
The top seat is a rubber top hat with two tabs that slip into slots. You turn it to lock in place. Nothing up top to tighten. I've triple checked the nut for the bottom collar/pedestal.

Thanks for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 05:05 PM   #4
surfcali
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Mineral White

I had the same issue - but it is not as evident anymore, and I couldn't figure out what the sound is coming from. It happens when I drive slowly up a ramp all the way turned and same thing in reverse. I've been kinda ignoring it.... what's the control arm you had to buy? My front alignment is really close to spec....

2011 e92 335i M-Sport | Cobb V3 | Alpina Flash | Injen Intake | PE Mod | Mishimoto FMIC | ER Chargepipe | ST Coilovers | 19" BBS CH-R | Arkym Front Lip | MP Style Trunk Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Shows how long I?ve been out of the DIY game. I assumed there was always a center nut holding down the top hat.
      10-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
1F152NV
Private
Rep
Drives: SAV

I do have the same issue also. But I do ignore it too as time goes. Plus, I love the look and the stance so, a little bounce noise doesn't bug me.
And my alignment is very close to specs without the longer control arms. Overall, I'm very happy with the KW V3.
Appreciate 0