BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-04-2017, 04:43 AM   #1
charlietangobravo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M50d

Change of brake discs after how long?

My dealer has told me that I should have all four discs replaced due to wear. They do not look very worn to me and the car has only rolled 55 000km (34 000miles).

I will go over them with them later today but I am curious as to others experience regarding this. Have you changed yours and if so at what mileage? I have not been driving overly aggressive or on track etc.

X5 M50d

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietangobravo View Post
My dealer has told me that I should have all four discs replaced due to wear. They do not look very worn to me and the car has only rolled 55 000km (34 000miles).

I will go over them with them later today but I am curious as to others experience regarding this. Have you changed yours and if so at what mileage? I have not been driving overly aggressive or on track etc.

X5 M50d

Thanks
About to hit 40k miles on my F15 35i and no change yet. I am still on the original brakes.

Dealer said last month during a visit for steering column change that I still have several thousand miles of life left in the brakes (I asked for a special check up on brakes).

My wear sensors did act up 4-5 months ago and told me I needed new brakes (in another 3k miles) sooner but once they readjusted and/or reset the sensors, everything came back to normal. I have drove 6k miles since- no issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
charlietangobravo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
About to hit 40k miles on my F15 35i and no change yet. I am still on the original brakes.

Dealer said last month during a visit for steering column change that I still have several thousand miles of life left in the brakes (I asked for a special check up on brakes).

My wear sensors did act up 4-5 months ago and told me I needed new brakes (in another 3k miles) sooner but once they readjusted and/or reset the sensors, everything came back to normal. I have drove 6k miles since- no issues.
Thanks for the reply.

I´m guessing you mean the brake pads and not the discs then.

Just came back from the dealer where we lifted the car and had another look. Turns out the wear is harder on the inside part of the disc than the visible outside on most new cars so even though the discs looked alright from the outside they were pretty badly worn on the inside. Ended up putting on new discs and pads front and new pads on the back. Bye bye $2200... Nasty money considering I´m selling it.

Technician said it is not unusual to have to replace as early as 50k km.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietangobravo View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

I´m guessing you mean the brake pads and not the discs then.

Just came back from the dealer where we lifted the car and had another look. Turns out the wear is harder on the inside part of the disc than the visible outside on most new cars so even though the discs looked alright from the outside they were pretty badly worn on the inside. Ended up putting on new discs and pads front and new pads on the back. Bye bye $2200... Nasty money considering I´m selling it.

Technician said it is not unusual to have to replace as early as 50k km.
You?re correct, I was referring to the brake pads. Sorry I didn?t make that clear.

That?s an awful lot of money to spend on a car you?re about to sell. Did you consider some cheaper but just as good aftermarket options for pads and rotors?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
BBDDVV
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G31 530e

replaced front discs and pads at ±55000 km. The discs were below minimum thickness, the pads just started touching, but not triggering, the sensor.

Last edited by BBDDVV; 05-15-2018 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
jc68
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F15 X5, 991.2 GT3

Isn't this covered by BMW? My MY2014 is. Currently at 26600 miles, idrive says I need rear pads in another 4500 miles. Just in time to get them replaced before the 4 year maintenance program is up.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 01:49 AM   #7
charlietangobravo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
You?re correct, I was referring to the brake pads. Sorry I didn?t make that clear.

That?s an awful lot of money to spend on a car you?re about to sell. Did you consider some cheaper but just as good aftermarket options for pads and rotors?
I almost always prefer to keep everything original on my BMW´s. I will not see a return on this spend but it would have been a hassle to sell it like it is.
I´m selling it through a dealership (not BMW).
Also had to replace the windscreen because of a chip and that cost me $600, despite having glass insurance. No cheap screens on these cars.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc68 View Post
Isn't this covered by BMW? My MY2014 is. Currently at 26600 miles, idrive says I need rear pads in another 4500 miles. Just in time to get them replaced before the 4 year maintenance program is up.
No, I forget the english word right now but parts that get worn out like brake pads, discs, windscreen wipers etc are not covered by free service/maintenance programs, at least not here in Scandinavia. New cars are covered by 3 years of free service. Only includes filters and fluids generally.
Appreciate 0