BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-12-2023, 03:59 AM   #1
compsyndrome
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X35D

Pressure sensor before the DPF

Is anyone aware of the function of the said sensor? Not to be confused with the DPF back pressure sensor, which is 2 sensors in one.
Mine is not working. Confirmed by the dealership, but the car is actually not complaining.

Last edited by compsyndrome; 09-01-2023 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 07:38 AM   #2
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

I think there are pressure differential sensors which assist the car in determining if and when the dpf requires a regen cycle or is plugged beyond spec. You might enquirer further with the dealership who diagnosed it for further info.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 09:03 AM   #3
compsyndrome
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variante Alta View Post
I think there are pressure differential sensors which assist the car in determining if and when the dpf requires a regen cycle or is plugged beyond spec. You might enquirer further with the dealership who diagnosed it for further info.
Yeah, the DPF differential pressure is separate. The DPF wouldn't work without that. I have readings on it while the "pressure sensor before DPF is stuck on 7.xx PSI. The dealer simply offered to replace it for like $600.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 05:44 PM   #4
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

Did you get your EGR cooler replaced under the recall?

I had the same note when they returned the car. The exhaust pressure sensor had an implausible reading. But no error code was set. Thru bmwlink it looks like it just reads 0 psi/ 0 bar on my X5.

Not sure what the purpose is for the sensor but it looks fairly easy to replace

P/N: 13628507634

I think it’s like $50 on ECS tuning. Since it’s not causing a code and regening I haven’t messed with it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-19-2023, 05:41 PM   #5
compsyndrome
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsharma@yahoo.com View Post
Did you get your EGR cooler replaced under the recall?

I had the same note when they returned the car. The exhaust pressure sensor had an implausible reading. But no error code was set. Thru bmwlink it looks like it just reads 0 psi/ 0 bar on my X5.

Not sure what the purpose is for the sensor but it looks fairly easy to replace

P/N: 13628507634

I think it’s like $50 on ECS tuning. Since it’s not causing a code and regening I haven’t messed with it.
I don't know why the heck I don't get forum notifications.
SO, yes, it was when they replaced my recalled EGR cooler. However, I had noticed even before that that sensor shows a constant and unlikely value. No codes, yes.
Also, I had stared at that very same diagram for probably hours and still can’t figure out where the listed sensor is plugged.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 07:17 PM   #6
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep

compsyndrome

I’ll snap a picture of it, it’s visible from the passanger side of the engine bay once you lift the engine cover off. It’s right above to the primary EGR cooler, the sensor is clipped into a plastic housing.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 07:45 PM   #7
compsyndrome
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
compsyndrome

I’ll snap a picture of it, it’s visible from the passanger side of the engine bay once you lift the engine cover off. It’s right above to the primary EGR cooler, the sensor is clipped into a plastic housing.
Thanks. In what compartment/pipe does it measure the pressure?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 08:00 PM   #8
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep

compsyndrome the exhaust pressure sensor pipe connects to the end of the exhaust manifold right before it goes to the turbo.

I’m wondering if the pipe or the banjo bolt is blocked up with soot. If you hit it with some compressed air it might clear the passages.

In the first gen N57 it looks like they had this sensor as a pre-dpf pressure sensor and a single different sensor read out for the post dpf sensor. But looks like this sensor doesn’t do much at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 09:11 PM   #9
compsyndrome
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
compsyndrome the exhaust pressure sensor pipe connects to the end of the exhaust manifold right before it goes to the turbo.

I’m wondering if the pipe or the banjo bolt is blocked up with soot. If you hit it with some compressed air it might clear the passages.

In the first gen N57 it looks like they had this sensor as a pre-dpf pressure sensor and a single different sensor read out for the post dpf sensor. But looks like this sensor doesn’t do much at this point.
Thanks, that helps. And you are probably right!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 09:36 PM   #10
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep

compsyndrome

Maybe I should clean/change mine out
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Clifton230.50
      03-20-2023, 06:27 AM   #11
compsyndrome
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
compsyndrome

Thank you. This seems to indicate that the sensor is needed to adjust the EGR rate. I hope to turn EGR off at some point so I may leave the sensor alone.
BTW, is this engine manual something that's available online?
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2023, 01:09 PM   #12
jnash467
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35d

I think I’m having the same issues the rest of you are. The codes I’m getting are 290B00, 290900, 28DE00, and 2AB600. When I searched for those 4 codes together, the results pointed towards the Back Pressure Sensor.
I too had my EGR Cooler and EGR replaced under the recall, but these codes were showing up before. No drivability issues, or fuel economy loss.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 01:44 PM   #13
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:

Did you ever pull yours and clean? Any tricks or tips?

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 07:00 PM   #14
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep

No I didnt. I never got a code and everything looked fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 10:24 AM   #15
jnash467
United_States
Rep

Yesterday I pulled the pressure sensor off the hose, and blew a little air on it. Not much soot inside of it. I could still see shiny metal in it. I then put the end of my used a variable pressure nozzle and while holding it inside the end of that rubber hose, I applied some air pressure. I was immediately met with resistance, there was no air blowing through it all.
So I am guessing it’s time to order some parts. I would take it off and clean it, but for a couple of hundred bucks I might as well replace the sensor and hose.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 10:35 AM   #16
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnash467 View Post
Yesterday I pulled the pressure sensor off the hose, and blew a little air on it. Not much soot inside of it. I could still see shiny metal in it. I then put the end of my used a variable pressure nozzle and while holding it inside the end of that rubber hose, I applied some air pressure. I was immediately met with resistance, there was no air blowing through it all.
So I am guessing it’s time to order some parts. I would take it off and clean it, but for a couple of hundred bucks I might as well replace the sensor and hose.

GREAT INTL on this! Do you mind posting some pics and any steps you took?

This might be a good thing to add to our ongoing Diesel discussion thread as a maintenance item, much like cleaning the SRC nozzle.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 03:58 PM   #17
jnash467
United_States
Rep

Sorry, I did not take any pictures of how I did it. It did dawn on me after.
Appreciate 0