BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

New shoes coming

So, new shoes won't have run-flats, so was wondering if carrying a can of fix-a-flat was a good option. What are you guys doing?
      01-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

I wouldn't suggest it. Heard it makes a mess of the wheel and tpms sensors if you have them. I'd quicker just call for a tow if it was a roadsize instant flat
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 2
mcvaughan702.00
Chadmatic660.50
      01-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
Mexecutioner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35i

Get the spare that goes in the trunk. I did that for peace of mind.
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan702.00
      01-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

When I fitted Michelin Pilot Super Sports, I just put a spare wheel/tire in the back...

Appreciate 2
mcvaughan702.00
Flying Ace4982.50
      01-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
When I fitted Michelin Pilot Super Sports, I just put a spare wheel/tire in the back...

Cute little donut.

01-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
FourDoor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

I'm currently on the same boat as you. New non runflat wheels/tires are inbound and I've been debating on our options:

1. Order a spare and lose the "extra" storage space in the trunk

2. Order a Dynaplug repair kit with a pump to try and plug up a small puncture by yourself https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNPZDVI/

3. Use our AAA towing to get the car back home/shop

I would be totally ok with AAA towing the X5 back but we also take long road trips on occasion where it would not work out being towed in the middle of the night which is where the spare or the plug would be helpful.

In all honesty, I feel that I will probably end up going with all 3 options above once I find a good deal on where to order the spare. Keeping the Dynaplug in the car would also be handy if we need to drive longer distances from the flat since the spare isn't best for long highway speed/distance.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #7
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor View Post
I'm currently on the same boat as you. New non runflat wheels/tires are inbound and I've been debating on our options:

2. Order a Dynaplug repair kit with a pump to try and plug up a small puncture by yourself https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNPZDVI/

I would be totally ok with AAA towing the X5 back but we also take long road trips on occasion where it would not work out being towed in the middle of the night which is where the spare or the plug would be helpful.

In all honesty, I feel that I will probably end up going with all 3 options above once I find a good deal on where to order the spare. Keeping the Dynaplug in the car would also be handy if we need to drive longer distances from the flat since the spare isn't best for long highway speed/distance.
Do our cars come with jacks? I guess that would be something else, if not.
      01-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Do our cars come with jacks? I guess that would be something else, if not.
If you did not order the spare tire for $150 then you do not get a jack.
The whole point of the rft is to eliminate the need for a spare and jack.
      01-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #9
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i have this in my X4, im running DWS06. My commute is 40 miles round trip.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Cute little donut.

All I need!
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      01-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #11
HomeIn2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor View Post

I'm converting to non-RFTs and just ordered and received this spare from GETBMWPARTS.com https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462
      01-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
Get the spare that goes in the trunk. I did that for peace of mind.
+1 the spare donut in the trunk is IMO the best solution, and I prefer it over the repair kit. Why?:
1. I don't carry compact spare nor a repair kiet around town. I have tow coverage, many new BMWs have assist, and many also have AAA. If you get a flat, just get it flat bedded home and deal with it on your own terms later. You really going to have your wife use the puncture kit on the side of the highway, when she's 10 minutes away from home?

2. Run flats is only to get you safely for a few more miles so you can pull aside. It's not a long-term long distance solution. Neither is a puncture kit.

3. If you have a flat in BFE, you're screwed regardless of type of tire or DIY repair, especially if you have the OE 20 inch tires. You're going to be held hostage by the only tire shop in town for over $300 to get you a rear tire shipped AND you're waiting at least 1 day for the tire.

4. with compact spare, just throw it on and you're on your way for the rest of your vacation.

This is what it looks like with the spare and tools in my E70.

This picture shows the compact spare (fully inflated), with OE scissors jack tool fit nicely in a plastic bag.

Also in the trunk are:

1. 2 piece baby stroller
2. Large picnic quilt
3. Graco Pack n Play
4. Flat bag containing a Baby Bjorn and dining table lobster claw
5. Plastic Fisher Price high chair (green bag, moved to the left to show the spare
6. And a bag of chips

... pretty much the spare takes up 1/3 of the space under the cargo cover. Picture speaks louder than words, more than enough space left for 3 weekend bags and a misc bag of kids stuff.

Again all this fits UNDER the cargo cover. I will move the green bag on front of the spare, which creates even more room. Also note the 40/60 passenger side seat back is jacked all the way back for the kids seat in row 2. There will be more room if it's normally upright

Last edited by Flying Ace; 01-18-2017 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      01-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #13
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
If you did not order the spare tire for $150 then you do not get a jack.
The whole point of the rft is to eliminate the need for a spare and jack.
Ummm, what? No it's not. The whole point of rft is so you don't have a blowout on the highway and can safely drive a few more miles at speed and pull over.

If you get a puncture on a rft and drive on it to it's limit, chances are it'll be trashed. You're getting a new tire as a result regardless. No different than a non-run flat
      01-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #14
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Ummm, what? No it's not. The whole point of rft is so you don't have a blowout on the highway and can safely drive a few more miles at speed and pull over.

If you get a puncture on a rft and drive on it to it's limit, chances are it'll be trashed. You're getting a new tire as a result regardless. No different than a non-run flat
I wouldn't say it's not.. the reasons you mentioned above is also true, but having a RFT also eliminates the need for a jack and a spare tire. These tires can be driven for a long distance without damage. Had a friend who had an puncture incident and drove to the nearest tire center to repair plug the RFTs.
      01-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #15
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Everything that's being listed in everyone's "preparedness" kit is fine, for beautiful weather.
What's being overlooked by everyone is a simple "TYVEK" suit. Having had to tend to either a flat or putting on the snow chains in other than ideal conditions makes having one a no-brainer, plus the little lady won't mess up her outfit!

Another item that is also a real nice to have are carpet samples, or just pieces from that last time you replaced the carpets.
      01-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #16
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
Everything that's being listed in everyone's "preparedness" kit is fine, for beautiful weather.
What's being overlooked by everyone is a simple "TYVEK" suit. Having had to tend to either a flat or putting on the snow chains in other than ideal conditions makes having one a no-brainer, plus the little lady won't mess up her outfit!

Another item that is also a real nice to have are carpet samples, or just pieces from that last time you replaced the carpets.
haha, good point. I'll bring my coveralls next trip. I always have the high impact work gloves in the car.

My next trip with this rig will be to Tahoe. I'll bring my spare, plus need to get some chains for my monster OE 20s.
      01-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #17
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIn2 View Post
I'm converting to non-RFTs and just ordered and received this spare from GETBMWPARTS.com https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462
$450 is awfully steep for a small doughnut and a cheap jack

Where are people getting the spare for $150?

Quote:
This is what it looks like with the spare and tools in my E70.

This picture shows the compact spare (fully inflated), with OE scissors jack tool fit nicely in a plastic bag.

Also in the trunk are:

1. 2 piece baby stroller
2. Large picnic quilt
3. Graco Pack n Play
4. Flat bag containing a Baby Bjorn and dining table lobster claw
5. Plastic Fisher Price high chair (green bag, moved to the left to show the spare
6. And a bag of chips

... pretty much the spare takes up 1/3 of the space under the cargo cover. Picture speaks louder than words, more than enough space left for 3 weekend bags and a misc bag of kids stuff.

Again all this fits UNDER the cargo cover. I will move the green bag on front of the spare, which creates even more room. Also note the 40/60 passenger side seat back is jacked all the way back for the kids seat in row 2. There will be more room if it's normally upright
Wow, that's impressive that you were able to get that much in there with a full size spare. Our current stroller takes up the whole back of the X5 sideways now. There's no way that my family can give up 1/3rd of the already small trunk space for a spare if we'll be gone for a weekend road trip. If the tire can't be plugged by the local tire shop and the distance home is too far for the small doughnut spare, then we'll just be spending a couple extra days at our vacation location while the new tire ships!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #18
Kzang
Major General
Rep

$150 when ordering the car from factory.
      01-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #19
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't say it's not.. the reasons you mentioned above is also true, but having a RFT also eliminates the need for a jack and a spare tire. These tires can be driven for a long distance without damage. Had a friend who had an puncture incident and drove to the nearest tire center to repair plug the RFTs.
Most tire manufacturers make clear that RFT should not be repaired.

Would recommend picking up the OEM compressor/sealant kit. It's purportedly TPMS-friendly and is what BMW supplies with most M-cars (that do not run RFTs).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #20
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
$150 when ordering the car from factory.
Ahhh that makes more sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #21
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Most tire manufacturers make clear that RFT should not be repaired.

Would recommend picking up the OEM compressor/sealant kit. It's purportedly TPMS-friendly and is what BMW supplies with most M-cars (that do not run RFTs).
I think most already know that however lots have ignored that and repaired their tires including myself without any issues.
      01-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #22
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
Under no circumstances do I allow pets in my car.
Appreciate 1
F15GorDe261.00