BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

10-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
Onemoreyear
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Grey '16 F15 35d M-Sport

New (to me) F15, with a Maintenance and Tow Hitch question

Hello, everyone.

I previously owned a diesel VW Touareg and I've been lurking for months trying to decide what I wanted to buy after completing the VW buyback.

I recently found a used X5d (2016, 23K miles) with most of the options I wanted, so I jumped on it. I picked it up a week ago and so far am absolutely loving this car. The fit and finish is a major jump over what I've been used to. (Thanks for the screw up, VW! You made it possible for me to buy a BMW.)

I have a couple of questions I haven't seen in my lurking and I hope you have some guidance.

1) The car was not purchased from a BMW dealer and the factory maintenance does not transfer. The local BMW dealer has offered to "refresh" the factory maintenance (4yr/50K miles) for $900. This would provide me with maintenance coverage for the 30K, 40K and <50K servicing. I have a highly recommended BIMRS-affiliated shop much closer and would be perfectly happy going there for all future maintenance. What would you recommend?

2) What tow bar / hitch? :-) Yes, I've searched. The seller told me that the best hitch for the F15, bar none, is the factory E70 hitch. I haven't seen this option mentioned on the board(s). Has anyone heard of this or done it? I am not concerned about having the receiver visible. He said it would work fine on the M Sport.

Obligatory specs of the new car:

2016 xDrive35d Space Grey Metallic / Terra Dakota
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Plus
Dynamic Handling Package
LED Lighting Package
M Sport with 20" 469's, Adaptive M suspension, Multi-contour (non-vented) seats
Premium Package
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound

Thanks for your help,

OMY
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 02:27 AM   #2
henrymyf
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

I have a similar question about installing a hitch on my '17 X5 35i, and I wonder if the hitch mentioned here is the best choice for me... wait for more replies here..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 05:43 AM   #3
Jason73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

I had the dealership install the factory hitch and wiring harness when I purchased my 2014 35i. No complaints.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 06:49 AM   #4
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I have the factory hitch as well and it works great, but it is expensive. It is definitely not the same as the E70 hitch, which I had on my E70. Others here swear by the invisihitch, which is a less costly option. Lots of threads here on hitches.

Unless you will need a brake job before the maintenance is up, it is not worth it just for oil changes.
Appreciate 0