BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #45
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroz1 View Post
Could it also be wind related? I.e., the door was opened at a high wind place that caused it to shift a bit and hence this issue?
Nope.

It's a manufacturing issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #46
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Interesting. After reading this thread, I decided to take a look at my car and it would appear I do not have these clearance issues. I do have a lot of small scratches on my car, but that's what I get for driving so much in winter conditions.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #47
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

a gap gauge tool could be used to assess initial stages of the fender and door and what it may have progressed to.

Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #48
DeltaFX1942
Stormtrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

I observed both of my doors opening in detail, and while there is very close tolerance it doesn't scrape. Hopefully this doesn't become an issue. Makes me think it might be the doors getting loose and moving forward?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #49
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

i am willing to wager that it is the hinges. i would check there first and see if doors need to be realigned and or hinges tightened.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #50
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
i am willing to wager that it is the hinges. i would check there first and see if doors need to be realigned and or hinges tightened.
Hinges are not loose.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #51
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

are they aligned properly? they may have shifted.
if this was not occurring from day one something moved or is misaligned.
i would start at the door & hinges first then go from there.
also purchase a gap tool to see how much out of alignment the body panels are.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #52
Mexecutioner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35i

So far I've had no luck trying to get this issue resolved. I tried to get a hold of the service adviser again to no avail. He seems to be avoiding me like the plague for some reason I fail to understand.

I called BMWNA Friday of last week, explained the issue, and they assured me they would contact the dealership service manager and he would get back to me. As of yesterday I still had not received a call from anyone at the dealership or BMWNA, so I called BMWNA again. The person that answered the call said the file showed they emailed the dealership last week. They transferred the call to the same lady I spoke to last time and I left a voice mail asking to be called back and an explanation about why am I being ignored and treated like crap.

I am sick with a cold right now, but I’ll find time this week and drive to the dealership to confront these clowns in person and won't leave until offered a solution. If that fails I will contact my attorney and have him handle this incident. I am sure they will listen then.

I am floored by how poorly I have been treated. I hope this is an isolated incident and not a norm; it has to be, as things can't be this bad on a regular basis. This is my first BMW and definitely this was not what I was expecting. It is not only about the door defect any more; it is also about being completely ignored when there is an issue with the car that obviously I didn’t cause.

Maybe it is this dealership, or this particular SA. BMWNA wants me to go through them as I bought the car there, but I will never service my car with them for scheduled maintenance or any other need.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #53
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
are they aligned properly? they may have shifted.
if this was not occurring from day one something moved or is misaligned.
i would start at the door & hinges first then go from there.
also purchase a gap tool to see how much out of alignment the body panels are.
Paint chips occurred early in ownership. Nothing shifted. Factory screwed up.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #54
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
So far I've had no luck trying to get this issue resolved. I tried to get a hold of the service adviser again to no avail. He seems to be avoiding me like the plague for some reason I fail to understand.

I called BMWNA Friday of last week, explained the issue, and they assured me they would contact the dealership service manager and he would get back to me. As of yesterday I still had not received a call from anyone at the dealership or BMWNA, so I called BMWNA again. The person that answered the call said the file showed they emailed the dealership last week. They transferred the call to the same lady I spoke to last time and I left a voice mail asking to be called back and an explanation about why am I being ignored and treated like crap.

I am sick with a cold right now, but I’ll find time this week and drive to the dealership to confront these clowns in person and won't leave until offered a solution. If that fails I will contact my attorney and have him handle this incident. I am sure they will listen then.

I am floored by how poorly I have been treated. I hope this is an isolated incident and not a norm; it has to be, as things can't be this bad on a regular basis. This is my first BMW and definitely this was not what I was expecting. It is not only about the door defect any more; it is also about being completely ignored when there is an issue with the car that obviously I didn’t cause.

Maybe it is this dealership, or this particular SA. BMWNA wants me to go through them as I bought the car there, but I will never service my car with them for scheduled maintenance or any other need.
Neither of the X5 owners I know have yet to visit the dealer about this. I am expecting for them to have a better experience than yours.

There need to more repercussions for dealers and employees who poorly handle customers. Naming names in forums and on yelp is a start. Dealer employees buy into the poor dealer experience culture without worry of being exposed, then they double down on the behavior and laugh about it with their co-workers. Obviously there are many honest and helpful dealership employees but there a too many bad actors.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #55
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
Paint chips occurred early in ownership. Nothing shifted. Factory screwed up.
right, but if it didnt happen on the first few openings and closings something may have shifted. why would it happen on the 8th time you opened the door but not the 1st?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #56
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
There is a problem with either the front door hinge alignment or the panels in my X5 that causes the very corners of the doors to rub against the body when the door opens. The tolerance is very tight on both sides, but if you take a look at both of the doors top views, you can clearly see the driver side door protrudes a bit and it is not flush with the rest of the body as is on the passenger side. The paint chip is more pronounced on the driver side.

Both of them have the marks, however there is a significant difference between the two, the driver side being more pronounced.

While I don’t mind having the paint touched up, I am afraid that even a new additional thin coat of paint will rub and peel off over and over again becoming a never ending problem leaving that area exposed to the elements which is not good thing. This leads me to think that the hinge or bracket the door sits on needs to be adjusted in order to match the way the passenger door is. I ignore if there are additional ways of modifying the fit or clearance the door has.

The bothersome part is that I took the car to the dealership and they seemed shocked by the news. They didn’t really know what to do, or how to adjust it. They said that they’d rather not adjust the panels above the front wheels (which BTW are plastic, and according to the SA are designed to expand and contract with temperature fluctuations) because those would be signs of the car having body work done and would lower its resale value.

While I was at the service department one of the SA saw that another X5 parked in front of mine had the exact same issue on both front doors.

Since they don’t have an in-house body shop, the SA offered to mail me some touch-up paint, which I have not received after more than 2 weeks, and could have bought online myself. I know that it is pointless to touch it up since it will most likely peel off again, especially as the weather gets warmer and the panels “expand”, but I guess I have to go through the motions.

The SA has not returned my emails, or my calls, and this is getting frustrating. For those of you living in the Los Angeles area, do you have a reliable dealer with a decent service department so I can take this problem to before contacting BMWNA?

I am including some photos of my actual vehicle and a stock one to show the location of this problem in case some of you want to check your own cars for this issue, as I have seen more X5’s with this problem.

Your feedback is appreciated.
HAD THE EXACT SAME ISSUE. REASON IS THAT THE FENDERS ARE TOO INWARDS. WENT TO BMW DEALERSHIP AND THEY MOVED THE FENDERS OUTWARDS BY A HAIR AND ALL WAS FINE. JUST AN ASSEMBLY ISSUE...
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #57
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Yes, but how did they fix the damage to your door?

Were they willing to most importantly?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 03:56 AM   #58
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
right, but if it didnt happen on the first few openings and closings something may have shifted. why would it happen on the 8th time you opened the door but not the 1st?
What's with the handwringing. I get that's your personality but you're just being a contrarian at this point...for fun?

No one knows if it is the first or eight or nth open where the doors make contact. Even if it isn't the first there has to be a tolerance for expansion/contraction of materials and minor movement over time. In addition, even if it rubbed on the first open the paint not chip immediately.

In any case, all body panels shift at some point. This isn't rocket science and all manufacturers have figured this out for decades now. Some X5s are assembled incorrectly one way or another. The repair can be debated as being worse than the problem it caused—and that sucks. But it isn't the end of the world.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2016, 03:57 AM   #59
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaM View Post
HAD THE EXACT SAME ISSUE. REASON IS THAT THE FENDERS ARE TOO INWARDS. WENT TO BMW DEALERSHIP AND THEY MOVED THE FENDERS OUTWARDS BY A HAIR AND ALL WAS FINE. JUST AN ASSEMBLY ISSUE...
What do you mean by "too inwards"?

Did they spray your doors?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #60
Mexecutioner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was able to get a hold of the SA this morning and later in the day he got back to me with some information. BMWNA said, just as AlphaM mentioned in his post, that they need to adjust the bumper and push it a little forward. The bumper pushes on the panel and reduces the clearance, therefore the door rubs.

They also offered to paint the whole doors and I declined this, as I would like to keep the original factory paint. If the chip was a few inches wide and in the middle of the door then I would go for the repaint.

Once the clearance is adjusted I will get it touched up and move on. At least after the adjustment the touch-up paint will hopefully not peel off and stay there for a while. As Snow-Kidney pointed out, it isn't the end of the world.

I have an appointment for Thursday of next week, I will let you guys know how it goes. I will take some before after photos as well.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #61
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

same issue on my 2015, will report to BMW. good to know there are many others with the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:37 PM   #62
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

I applied touch up paint to mine, and while it's not pretty, it takes the 'white' out of it.

It's been a couple of months and it hasnt peeled off.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 04:32 AM   #63
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
What's with the handwringing. I get that's your personality but you're just being a contrarian at this point...for fun?
my point is trying to isolate the root cause and not just a blanket statement saying "factory defect" or "manufacturing issue" because for a certain amount of time it is fine then at one point there is rubbing and this occurs. i am trying to detect what exactly shifts or changes to create the situation. i offered several possible guesses on ways to troubleshoot this problem but as stated before a gap tool measuring the specs on day of delivery and afterwards may be a start or looking under the hood to see if there is shift in the fender but my money is on door sag or issue with hinges.

i wouldn't want this to happen to mine so i would love to know what is causing this to take preventative measures instead of reactive.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #64
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Same topic is being discussed on the other X5 forum: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=894059
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #65
Mexecutioner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I picked up my car earlier this week. The door clearance has been fixed. They got the job done but I must say that it was on the sloppy side. Their touch-up paint and bodywork skills leave much to be desired. The car had some minor clear coat smudges on the door that I was able to remove myself. Why the dealer didn't do this is beyond me. Based on past experience with the dealer refusing to even perform such simple tasks as returning calls, I guess they simply don't care.

I also noticed that the panels were not properly adjusted. The service advisor, Gilbert Lucero, was not present when I went to pick up the car even though I specifically went during hours he said he’d be there. I decided to call later to explain the situation so it could be corrected. I left a message, and as is the norm, calls are either ignored or returned many days after.

Since I was not going to wait another month to get a call back, as literally happened the time before, I decided to fix the car myself by adjusting the two screws that they had not tightened and caused the panels to protrude where they meet the A pillar. I am attaching a photo of this for reference. I felt huge relief that I was able to fix this mostly because it meant that I would not have to deal with this dealership ever again. Someone from the dealership called 3 days after, but didn’t bother to leave a voicemail, which is as effective as not calling. I had already fixed the problem on my own, better than they had when my car was in the shop, so I opted not to bother dealing with these clowns again.

I will not be returning to service my car at Century West BMW. I strongly suggest you avoid dealing with Gilbert Lucero as it is an exercise in frustration.

Manufacturing defects are annoying, but understandable. What is inexcusable is being ignored while treated as if I’m not a valued customer and just someone that inconveniences them. I was never expecting this from BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 07:07 PM   #66
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Really sorry to read about the run around you have experienced.

I only potentially avoided a similar situation by selling my M50d.

Thankfully the X5M doesn't seem to have this issue at all.
Appreciate 0