BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-06-2016, 12:29 AM   #1
pbrowning2
Rep
Drives: f15 50i Msport

I've noticed that despite the ability to code the function that "allows" saving of video files, it appears saving videos has not been done successfully (evidently due to hardware rather than software obstacles).

I attempted to "sneak" video files into the HDD by backing up my music library via iDrive to my USB , then going onto my laptop and dropping the video files into the BMW generated "music" folder. I then attempted to restore my library from the USB into iDrive... hoping videos would sneak in with the music files.

In short - didnt work.

However, I did notice that all the music files were converted to .br27 files when they were backed up into my USB drive. I'm assuming the hard drive converts music into this format immediately after downloading from the USB (I may be wrong - I'm not really finding good info on .br27 files)

Anyone familiar with .b27 files? I'm wondering if there is an analogous video file that we may be able to convert our videos to, thus being able to "back up" the video into the HDD.

Last edited by pbrowning2; 02-06-2016 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrowning2 View Post
I've noticed that despite the ability to code the function that "allows" saving of video files, it appears saving videos has not been done successfully (evidently due to hardware rather than software obstacles).

@pbrowning2

I attempted to "sneak" video files into the HDD by backing up my music library via iDrive to my USB , then going onto my laptop and dropping the video files into the BMW generated "music" folder. I then attempted to restore my library from the USB into iDrive... hoping videos would sneak in with the music files.

In short - didnt work.

However, I did notice that all the music files were converted to .br27 files when they were backed up into my USB drive. I'm assuming the hard drive converts music into this format immediately after downloading from the USB (I may be wrong - I'm not really finding good info on .br27 files)

Anyone familiar with .b27 files? I'm wondering if there is an analogous video file that we may be able to convert our videos to, thus being able to "back up" the video into the HDD.
Interesting find there... .b27 extension is apparently a extension format used by the HDD (like you discovered)...with that being said, if you want to put time and effort in it, try converting you videos into the format... I think you can do that with a windows based program "Ovation Pro", though I did not go that far. In other words I can not confirm such... I just bought a 128gb flash drive for $30 on amazon and called it the day (after coding the ability to play from usb.) Hope that helps somewhat
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
pbrowning2
Rep
Drives: f15 50i Msport

Oh there's no question that's the easy/simplest way to do it

But quite interesting what you find when you play around with this stuff
Appreciate 0