BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Flat Tire at 1500 miles

Yesterday I got a low pressure indicator in the instrument cluster. Left rear tire. TPMS was showing 36 lbs on the left rear and 44 lbs on right side rear. I wanted to confirm what TPMS was showing, but foolish me, I changed the battery in my tire pressure gauge and forgot to put it back in the car.

I was able to pull off the freeway in about one mile and stop in a parking lot. The TPMS pressure was indicating 28 lbs by then. Although the tire did not visually appear low on air, I decided to change to my spare as I was 30 miles from home, and could not confirm the TPMS reading. At home I used my pressure gauge and the tire pressure read zero!!!

It looks like I need a replacement. Pirelli and BMW say do not repair and punctured tires will be replaced under the road hazard warranty during the first year or 2/23 of tread wear. Here is the text from the warranty that came with my vehicle
=========================
Road Hazard Policy for Run Flat Tires Only
Pirelli Run Flat tires are manufactured with technology that allows limited
low-inflation operation in the event of sudden loss of pressure.
Pirelli does not recommend the repair of run flat tires and as a result,
Pirelli provides road hazard coverage on all Pirelli produced tires that are
manufactured with run flat technology.
If a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or
materials anomalies or road hazard injury during the initial warranty
period, which is one year from the date of original retail purchase of
the vehicle or purchase of replacement tires (purchase receipt required)
or within the first 2/32” of the original usable tread, whichever occurs
first, the tire will be replaced with the same or comparable tire at no
charge for the tire to the owner. After the initial warranty period, if a
Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or materials
anomalies or road hazard injury, the owner must pay the cost of a comparable
new Pirelli brand or PTNA private brand replacement tire on a pro-rata
basis. The authorized Pirelli dealer will determine the cost by multiplying
the percentage of the original usable tread worn by the current dealer
selling price. The owner must pay for any associated service charges,
including mounting and balancing of the tire. This Road Hazard Policy is not a
warranty. PTNA does not warranty that a Pirelli tire will not fail due to road
hazard and does not authorize any person, including authorized Pirelli
dealers, to make such a warranty.
================================

I plan to go to the dealer tomorrow to get a new tire. Free I hope. I'll post again after the visit to the dealer.

Last edited by wjbender; 02-08-2015 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

For all it's worth, I got a flat in a F15 loaner after two days. I carry this (http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2#post16695102) in the car, along with a plier and a cutter, and hope I never have to use them (after tire warranty runs out):

I opted out of the dealer offered roadside wheel and tire warranty ($700? I think).

Let us know what the dealer says.
      02-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Matt, curious...did you get the aluminum or the stainless steel Dynaplug Pro Extreme tool?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
For all it's worth, I got a flat in a F15 loaner after two days. I carry this (http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2#post16695102) in the car, along with a plier and a cutter, and hope I never have to use them (after tire warranty runs out):

I opted out of the dealer offered roadside wheel and tire warranty ($700? I think).

Let us know what the dealer says.
Good thinking -

I am currently running on the spare tire. I did not buy the optional tire and wheel insurance. My dealer quoted $2500. The insurance I posted here, is the standard coverage that Pirelli gives you. It's on a CD in the owners manual. I hope they will honor it, because they specifically state road hazards are covered, and Pirelli does not want you to repair their tires. I agree that out of warranty I would not hesitate to repair a nail puncture, but I would take it to a tire shop and have them dismount the tire and do the repair from the inside. I also plan to change to non run flats later. I put the spare tire on to prevent damage to my rim$$$$. It only took 15 min to change it out
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Pirelli should give you free replacement, excellent program. I am thinking Pirelli for my next set.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...hlight=pirelli

In August, I had nail in RFT, BMW dealer patched for $119, with warning BMW recommends replacement and does not warrant repair. So far so good. When FTM warning came on, I drove straight to dealership at 4pm Saturday out within an hour. My tire guy would be cheaper but was 20 km away and closed.

Got tanners guaue, as I found the cheaper gauges always breaking or need new battery. On Friday I got a portable compressor.
http://www.mittlerbros.com/2-glow-in...psi-group.html
http://www.viaircorp.com/88P.html
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks - i printed the Pirelli technical bulletin and will take it to the dealer tomorrow AM. The warranty statement I posted was on the Tire warranty CD in my owners manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
Matt, curious...did you get the aluminum or the stainless steel Dynaplug Pro Extreme tool?
Alu.....this kit, plus a carry bag and extra plugs: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note to all.....I figure having the kit is better than not...even if I can't repair the tire myself, I can always pull into a gas station or any repair shop and have someone else do the repair. It is easier to pull out the object when the tire is fully inflated.
      02-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Here is a good mechanical pressure gauge. I wanted a mechanical guage so I don't have to worry about the battery when I need to use it.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JOES+Racing+Pr...Yg0aAqPc8P8HAQ
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

These gauges have been around for eons! http://www.ghmeiser.com
I've used the same S60 for half an eon, or more. No batteries to worry about and will not let you down. Available numerous places. Don't even bother with anything else.
      02-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

This is what I use and it hasn't let me down once: http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5941-Di...tal+tire+gauge. It reads out .5-1psi higher consistently on all tires and all my cars. I have one in my mother's ML350 and one in mine. Super easy to use and very light/nice.

Niko, I bookmarked your link just in case since I don't have a spare and plan on keeping that for emergencies as well in the storage area next to my air pump.
      02-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #11
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

If you have Pirelli tires and get a flat from road hazard you get a free tire.

I took car to dealer and mentioned that the Pirelli tires have a road hazard warranty. His reply - "you are in luck, I'll process the warranty claim for you with Pirelli. All you have to pay is mounting, balancing, and disposal or the old tire". Apparently if my car had the Continental, Michelin, or Goodyear tires I would have to pay for a new tire. They did not have the tire in stock, but promised me for today. I asked them to deliver the car back to my house, as I have to be in my NYC office all day today and will not get home early enough to pick up the car. Let's see how this play out.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #12
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
If you have Pirelli tires and get a flat from road hazard you get a free tire.

I took car to dealer and mentioned that the Pirelli tires have a road hazard warranty. His reply - "you are in luck, I'll process the warranty claim for you with Pirelli. All you have to pay is mounting, balancing, and disposal or the old tire". Apparently if my car had the Continental, Michelin, or Goodyear tires I would have to pay for a new tire. They did not have the tire in stock, but promised me for today. I asked them to deliver the car back to my house, as I have to be in my NYC office all day today and will not get home early enough to pick up the car. Let's see how this play out.
I have used this road hazard warranty twice now (screws in rear tires). The last time the service adviser claimed that he was not aware of this warranty, he's never heard of something like this, etc. I insisted and told him that I spoke directly to Pirelli (which I did) and I already had it done once before. After few minutes he came back acting surprised, and stating that this deal with Pirelli must be new.

This warranty is definitely there for us to use so don't get suckered into paying for a new tire. The first thing they asked me when I brought my punctured tire in was if I had purchased their wheel warranty, because a new tire would cost me ~$600. They are definitely not going to volunteer the details of this warranty if you don't ask about it.
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #13
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Thanks for the info. My X35i has RFT Pirelli tires. this will come in handy.
Just saved the pdf file with their warranty information.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #14
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Alu.....this kit, plus a carry bag and extra plugs: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note to all.....I figure having the kit is better than not...even if I can't repair the tire myself, I can always pull into a gas station or any repair shop and have someone else do the repair. It is easier to pull out the object when the tire is fully inflated.
Great...thanks Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #15
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

After getting my car back from the dealer I discovered the very sloppy work they did.
The hold down bolt for the spare tire is bent and cannot completely tightened in place
The TPMS is reading 29 lbs pressure - my gauge reads 32, but pressure should be 44
They did not put the jack back in place, but left it laying in the cargo area
This is my first time to the service department and it did not instill confidence
Poor workmanship and no quality control - I'll be back later today to complain
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #16
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Quote:
After getting my car back from the dealer I discovered the very sloppy work they did.
The hold down bolt for the spare tire is bent and cannot completely tightened in place
The TPMS is reading 29 lbs pressure - my gauge reads 32, but pressure should be 44
They did not put the jack back in place, but left it laying in the cargo area
This is my first time to the service department and it did not instill confidence
Poor workmanship and no quality control - I'll be back later today to complain
This sucks.

Also, most of repair shops won't do the cold tire with "44", they just filled "44" or something similar when the tires are still hot.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #17
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
This sucks.

Also, most of repair shops won't do the cold tire with "44", they just filled "44" or something similar when the tires are still hot.
If you have 20", you should keep your front at 36 and rear at 42. That will give you the best ride/ratio. Those of us with 22" do 38 front and 44 rear.
      02-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #18
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Actually I am on 19s and running the pressure spec listed on the door sticker. What really bothered me was the tech had the new tire at 29 lbs and then reset the TPMS so it did not report a fault at that low pressure! The shop manager added had the tech add air and then set TPMS with the proper pressures. He is ordering me a new hold down bolt for the spare as they bent mine. Just careless work. I hope they do better in the future. A car is only as good as the service you can get for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #19
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Actually I am on 19s and running the pressure spec listed on the door sticker. What really bothered me was the tech had the new tire at 29 lbs and then reset the TPMS so it did not report a fault at that low pressure! The shop manager added had the tech add air and then set TPMS with the proper pressures. He is ordering me a new hold down bolt for the spare as they bent mine. Just careless work. I hope they do better in the future. A car is only as good as the service you can get for it.
Yeah, then you should be running a little lower than what is suggested. I wouldn't go that high. You will have crazy vibration/noise. This topic has been discussed for a while last year and the safe medium is around 34-36 for the front and 40-42 rear for cars with 19-20" wheel.

I also am sorry with the irresponsibility they showed on your service. Unfortunately, careless service departments exist and some people just don't care as much as they should for their customers.
      02-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #20
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

opasha Thank's for the suggestion on pressure. I ordered a good quality tire pressure gauge and will manually set the pressures to spec and then reset the TPMS.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2015, 11:58 PM   #21
ocman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Good to know. I got pirrelli 20 inch rft on the x5.

Does anyone know what 2/32 wear means?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #22
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Good to know. I got pirrelli 20 inch rft on the x5.

Does anyone know what 2/32 wear means?
Here is an article on Tirerack's site - all you ever wanted to know about measuring tire wear

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...150213035131:s
Appreciate 0