BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #23
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
I don't need proof, I have you guys. This is very education. At the end, it seems, in most cases, just follow the manufacturer's instructions for break in an oil change. The only thing that comes to my mind to improve on the process is to change the filter, even if the oil is unchanged in between the recommended cycles.

Thank you.
If you saw the size of our (35d) filters, you are spot on - change the filter more often than the oil. Completely agree, and very easy to do!
      02-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #24
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

The only thing I don't like about this forum is that it takes time away from my Wikipedia readings. Thank you all.
      02-12-2015, 01:05 AM   #25
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Even specialized cars indicate in their manuals to do the standard light, varied driving, in addition to other specifics based on the engine configuration.

For example, the Ford Shelby GT500 has "a feature to limit supercharger boost pressure and engine speed to 4,000 rpm for the first five consecutive miles of vehicle operation or 50 engine start/warm up cycles." (Shelby GT500 Supplemental manual). The Nissan GT-R, despite being a hand-built specialized motor and already undergoing a thorough break-in at the factory, still requires you to follow a routine break-in procedure that does not call for any extreme vehicle engine speeds.

There is merit to the "harder" break-in procedure, but I do not think it applies as much to modern engines from the factory. Especially in instances where the manufacturers' engineers have indicated such.

Last edited by cenix; 02-12-2015 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2015, 01:24 AM   #26
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
The only thing I don't like about this forum is that it takes time away from my Wikipedia readings. Thank you all.
Niko, I think you need a holiday...maybe a couple of weeks in Tibetan Monastery or somethin'
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #27
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

If BMW were not paying for the oil changes (Annual) they would suggest you get the oil changed much more frequently. I change mine every 6 months regardless
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #28
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Does it invalidate the warranty with the car in any way if you get oil change/service other than as specified by BMW?

I'm with NPickles & chrisny and go with what the manufactures specify for the car they design and build.
Baunton My understanding is that so long as the servicing is up to manufacturer spec, using proper parts and oil grades etc, they cannot void the warranty. In the UK this all changed a few years ago when the main dealer servicing monopoly was broken allowing competent independent garages to service new vehicles without affecting their respective warranties.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #29
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
Baunton My understanding is that so long as the servicing is up to manufacturer spec, using proper parts and oil grades etc, they cannot void the warranty. In the UK this all changed a few years ago when the main dealer servicing monopoly was broken allowing competent independent garages to service new vehicles without affecting their respective warranties.
NPickles Good point WRT non-franchised serving and warranty. Although would you buy a relatively new used BMW unless it had a full BMW service history and stamped as such in the service log?
Appreciate 0