BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

View Poll Results: For you F'15 Owners who've owned E70's...
You like your F'15 more than E70? (why? post it) 84 85.71%
You like your F'15 equal to your E70? (why, post it) 4 4.08%
You like your F'15 less than your E70? (why? post it) 10 10.20%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

11-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #67
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Thanks, Opasha.

I've actually already ordered the cable after reading your post and watching your videos. They're awesome. I'm definitely going to try to code a few things like the showing the speed on the instrument cluster and changing the number of flashes for the soft turn signal. I'm a little less comfortable taking apart the instrument cluster but more than that I'm annoyed at having to pay for it. I'm complaining (very respectfully) to my dealer to see if they'll do anything, but it's probably a lost cause. If I can't get any satisfaction there, I'll think seriously about the 6WB or even the 6WA extended, if I could do that cheaper. I'm leasing so I don't want to put too much into the car...but then again, I don't want to hate the car for three years either.

Thanks again. I very much appreciate your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Yeah, this is the annoying part and why part numbers really matter a lot. No one would know this without our discussions. Even I did not know this until after I bought mine and saw many of other members' clusters who had HUD option on theirs. I don't have HUD. That's also why I didn't mind about losing the two "codeable" features that a few have coded into their HUD: 1) turn signals in HUD 2) lane departure warning in HUD - both of these do not come enabled from the factory - you have to code them. They don't work on the 6WB though as I mentioned earlier in my thread, but the 6WB is still worth it despite this, esp for members that don't care for coding anyway.

@Tlon, in all honesty, buddy, I recommend you get everything for coding and setup ESYS - it's very easy with the PDFs, videos, and instructions I have posted/linked. That cost will only run you about $20 for the cable, the software and files are free, and only about $30 for the token if you borrow it for 5 years from Antonio (the ENET cable seller) or $50, $60, $70 (1, 2, 3 years from Token Master). Then you can buy the 6WB and Bimmer-Tech will help you set it up remotely for free. If you don't trust them, you can trust me and I will help you code everything as I have and am going to do for a few members at no cost. It's very easy/straightforward. You also live in D.C., so we can meet up if you just want me to do the coding from my computer if you decide to get the 6WB and feel like coding isn't your thing.

In my humble opinion, coding is great and really teaches you a lot about your car and its wonderful capabilities/options that BMW decided not to enable when they should have.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #68
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Thanks, Opasha.

I've actually already ordered the cable after reading your post and watching your videos. They're awesome. I'm definitely going to try to code a few things like the showing the speed on the instrument cluster and changing the number of flashes for the soft turn signal. I'm a little less comfortable taking apart the instrument cluster but more than that I'm annoyed at having to pay for it. I'm complaining (very respectfully) to my dealer to see if they'll do anything, but it's probably a lost cause. If I can't get any satisfaction there, I'll think seriously about the 6WB or even the 6WA extended, if I could do that cheaper. I'm leasing so I don't want to put too much into the car...but then again, I don't want to hate the car for three years either.

Thanks again. I very much appreciate your help!
My pleasure, @Tlon. I actually keep forgetting that many members are leasing . It might not be worth putting that much money into the car if you don't own it. I own mine and intend to keep it for a long time, so that's why I'm doing a lot to it. I had my last car (Infiniti FX35) since 2004 (it's still running great ).

Hopefully, your dealer can at least retrofit the extended cluster for you. If it was on your build sheet, they should have told you the differences.

Keep us posted, buddy.
      11-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #69
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkila View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest X6 View Post
You lose me at E53 is a sports car....
Im just sayin E53 is sportier than E70 and F15 which both veer towards luxury than sport.
I agree, the E53 has a sportier drive characteristics than the E70 w/adaptive drive. I went from an E53 to an E70, then traded the E70 in after only 1y because I was unhappy with how it drove. It just drove 'too big' if that makes any sense. You have to Really dislike a car to take the super-bath of a 1y trade-in.

I switched from an E70 to an E71 w/adaptive drive. Driving an E71 gives an experience closer to driving an E53 (with light-years better electronics and way less body roll -- the two things that I didn't like about my E53). That 'little bit smaller-ness' of the E71 really makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #70
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I agree, the E53 has a sportier drive characteristics than the E70 w/adaptive drive. I went from an E53 to an E70, then traded the E70 in after only 1y because I was unhappy with how it drove. It just drove 'too big' if that makes any sense. You have to Really dislike a car to take the super-bath of a 1y trade-in.

I switched from an E70 to an E71 w/adaptive drive. Driving an E71 gives an experience closer to driving an E53 (with light-years better electronics and way less body roll -- the two things that I didn't like about my E53). That 'little bit smaller-ness' of the E71 really makes a difference.
Was E70 a lease? How did you turn it in after 1 year?
      02-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #71
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodLonghorn View Post
Had 3 E70s. (2007 X5 35i, 2007 X5 4.8, 2012 X5D). We built and got a 2015 X5D about a month ago. The F15 blows the E70 out of the water in every respect except for steering, only if you like the heavy hydraulic steering
Pluses

1.looks
2. Ride- so much smoother without taking away sporty characteristics
3. Quieter- amazingly more so
4. Better tech- updated HUD, led headlamps, Idrive etc
5. More luxiourious interior- huge upgrade here
6. Better gas mileage- drive 600 miles before even looking for a gas station
7. Diesel engine is so much quieter
8. Availability of the Bang and Olufsen- am an audiophile, so waited for this option. It's awesome

As you can see, we love it. Much bigger than a Macan and looks more masculine
(I recalled, when F15 spied pics were posted, tons of E70 owners hated it, especially it's exteriors. Not sure how many of them have changed their mind in the end, due to whatever reasons. )

Except 7 and 8, the items LakewoodLonghorn posted are pretty much what I feel. Plus, the current price is better. Anything away from MSRP is attractive. (I told myself Dont buy MSRP but I continue to do so...)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 08:48 PM   #72
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Love F15 enough that we talk about getting 2nd one. Macan was on my radar as well but it is just too small to be anything useful.
Appreciate 0