BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2024, 10:30 AM   #1
LSD4me
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

F86 Air Suspension - Bags Not Deflating

Hey everyone,

I have an issue that is somewhat opposite to what most people have with their F86 Air Suspension.

The initial problem was exactly like everyone usually has...The rear sags and drops all the way down overnight.

I sourced 2 OEM Rear Suspension Bellows and replaced them.

The procedure i followed is common, and both rear wheels were lifted off the ground.

When I finished replacing the 2 bellows, I opened up ISTA and performed the procedure to Inflate the bellows. This kicked off the compressor for about 40 seconds, and the bellows inflated.

When i lowered the car, it was painfully obvious the ride height was WAY TOO HIGH. The EHC sensors show 95mm left, and 91mm right. (See attached irl picture)

When i go into ISTA to perform a DEFLATE procedure, nothing happens. I hear a faint noise (relay / regulator open), but the bellows DO NOT DEFLATE.

I tried removing the fuse for the compressor and driving it around for a bit thinking it would deflate on its own but no go. Even letting it sit overnight didnt work. Its still at that 95mm mark.

Im not sure what to do at this point. My next steps would be to start taking the skirt of the bottom and looking at the compressor side aof things as that is where the regulator is.

But before i do that, anyone see this before?

I attached a bunch of screen shots from ISTA and such.

TIA!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 04:07 PM   #2
LSD4me
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

UPDATE:

I was able to deflate the bags manually by going straight to the compressor and loosening the two fittings for the air supply to both sides (red and blue)

My new problem...

the 40 amp fuse keeps blowing...

I was able to deflate and perform the inflation procedure again, and this time, the ride height sensors are showing almost 0 mm deviation. Everything on the surface looks good.

It drives great, but the compressor fuse blows as soon as the engine starts (5 seconds)

When the car was completely deflated, i had 0 issues commanding the compressor to run the 40 seconds to inflate procedure.

Fuse didnt blow, and i can do that all day without the fuse blowing...

So the compressor seems to be OK and since the fuse doesnt blow during the inflate procedure. i cant imagine a short circuit on that line.

Does anyone know what can explain the 40 amp compressor fuse blowing soon after engine start?

It wont even last a minute before blowing...

But even when blown, the bags dont deflate and ride height sensors are showing both sides in spec....

Any ideas on where to begin troubleshooting this new issue?
Appreciate 0