07-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #1
1coolF15D2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 G05

Keep on asking for coolant refill

Hello All,

Just took a delivery of 2017 X5 diesel for a month now and have 777 miles on clock. I have an issue, it happened twice now that it asked for a coolant refill. I did not mind at first since I thought that with the hot weather going on in past month in Bay Area and I've been using AC a lot maybe it was not filled to the top when I took delivery. Anyway, I do not see any leaks or puddles of coolant under the car. It seems like I cannot take this car for a long drive if this keeps on happening. I will take it in first thing Monday morning.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

It appears as though a few X5 diesels had EGR cooler leaks, which burns the coolant through the exhaust. This is likely your problem.

Less common (and what I had) was a leaking water pump on my X5 35d. It ran out of coolant about 6 months old. The dealer told me normal (BS) and topped up. 6 months later it was empty again, I told them iit was likely the EGR cooler based on reading in this forum. They checked and said it was fine. It held pressure on their pressure test. They re topped up. A month later it was low again and they figured out it was the water pump leaking (there was dried antifreeze at the block where the water pump is installed.

Good luck. I've been trouble free for the past year and a half - so hopefully this is a one off. Frustrating on a 2017.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
1coolF15D2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3uo View Post
It appears as though a few X5 diesels had EGR cooler leaks, which burns the coolant through the exhaust. This is likely your problem.

Less common (and what I had) was a leaking water pump on my X5 35d. It ran out of coolant about 6 months old. The dealer told me normal (BS) and topped up. 6 months later it was empty again, I told them iit was likely the EGR cooler based on reading in this forum. They checked and said it was fine. It held pressure on their pressure test. They re topped up. A month later it was low again and they figured out it was the water pump leaking (there was dried antifreeze at the block where the water pump is installed.

Good luck. I've been trouble free for the past year and a half - so hopefully this is a one off. Frustrating on a 2017.

Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

On 2014 X5 Diesel, I have fuel contamination issue that messed up all injectors and have to be replaced along with the fuel lines, pump and gas filter. Feel tank had to be flushed too. Left me stranded 200 miles away from home and car was in the shop for a week. I should have stayed with Chevron. I think that happened when I switch to Union 76 and Shell. The union 76 is closed now though. Then after a few months after that service was done, when I accelerate I hear a mechanical typewriter sound on the back of the car. I fear that the pump is showing signs again. Not having much luck I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 12:59 AM   #4
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

To look for coolant leaks, add some commonly available UV fluorescent dye to the coolant, get a $20 UV flashlight and start looking yourself for a leak in the dark.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
1coolF15D2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update

Update:

With no appointment whatsoever I drove to the dealership service department and asked them to look at the problem of my car. Late afternoon service advisor let me know that they need to keep the car until Wednesday since they don't have the replacement part (Upper radiator hose that connects to radiator itself). They did a pressure test and found the issue. They have to remove the electric fan to see the leak. Part replaced on Thursday morning and the car was ready by 1 pm. SA gave me some gifts: hat, water bottle and stainless coffee jug; which is nice of them. Hopefully that is it, no more problem for yrs to come, I hope.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
1coolF15D2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the crappy pictures (my phone is bad)

Appreciate 0