BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40E IPerformance

X5 2016 fuel door want open

Hi can someone pls tell me a way of fixing the opening of fuel door. For the past few days I have been opening it manually. It goes upto 25% on the dashboard and the "refuelling possible in" text disappears. When I press the door release button for the second time nothing appears on the dashboard. However, I did notice that before a drive it opens the usual way. Is it to do with the petrol? I pump from the same station. Cannot be an additional pressure inside the fuel tank caused by the petrol.
Many thanks for a quick solution.
I have drive this car for more than 4000km and this the first time it happened.

Kind regards,

Chami
      12-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Doors need to be unlocked to open fuel door
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Yes I get out of the car and open the fuel door myself so all 4 doors are unlocked and also the drive ready state is off.

Tks
      12-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamindab View Post
Hi can someone pls tell me a way of fixing the opening of fuel door. For the past few days I have been opening it manually. It goes upto 25% on the dashboard and the "refuelling possible in" text disappears. When I press the door release button for the second time nothing appears on the dashboard. However, I did notice that before a drive it opens the usual way. Is it to do with the petrol? I pump from the same station. Cannot be an additional pressure inside the fuel tank caused by the petrol.
Many thanks for a quick solution.
I have drive this car for more than 4000km and this the first time it happened.

Kind regards,

Chami
Sorry but This makes no sense to me. Only thing stopping you front opening the hatch is the doors being locked. It doesn't open on its own. You have to unlock the car and push it in and it pops out. Nothing automatic here. And certainly no Alerts in the car that say the door can or can't be opened. Maybe one of you don't shut it but I doubt that as there is nothing electronic on it.

Also never seen anything that says "refueling possible in..." only the normal fuel low alerts
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:42 PM   #5
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Sorry but This makes no sense to me. Only thing stopping you front opening the hatch is the doors being locked. It doesn't open on its own. You have to unlock the car and push it in and it pops out. Nothing automatic here. And certainly no Alerts in the car that say the door can or can't be opened. Maybe one of you don't shut it but I doubt that as there is nothing electronic on it.

Also never seen anything that says "refueling possible in..." only the normal fuel low alerts
It’s a 40e ‘thang’.
They literally have a wait time or something like that to open the fuel door.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Quote:

It's a 40e 'thang'.
Lol oh god. Maybe there's an app for that?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
Violator4587.50
      12-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #7
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Quote:

It's a 40e 'thang'.
Lol oh god. Maybe there's an app for that?
I was told by the dealer to get it calibrated. It worked fine since the day I bought it. I guess it compares the ambient and tank pressure before releasing the latch.
      06-15-2019, 10:07 PM   #8
mgbabe
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i xDrive Gran Turismo

Garage List
This started happening to ours the last two times we tried to fill up. Seems that i3’s have similar problem. After we get the fail message we can still push on the door to open it. Have not had to resort to using the manual release in the trunk. Will have to have the dealer fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 06:12 AM   #9
chumbedi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5e40 (F15)

Have same problem with my 40e and have to always pull the release lever (open tailgate and open small compartment, right side)
I guess due to the fact that I do not use it too often, as I mostly drive short distances via eletric drive.
Someone told me BMW replaces some sensor or whatsoever, but I rather pull the lever, than going to BMW dealer.
Try WD-40 at locking bolt, this worked out for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #10
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbedi View Post
Have same problem with my 40e and have to always pull the release lever (open tailgate and open small compartment, right side)
I guess due to the fact that I do not use it too often, as I mostly drive short distances via eletric drive.
Someone told me BMW replaces some sensor or whatsoever, but I rather pull the lever, than going to BMW dealer.
Guys it's a simple fix if the sensors are not faulty. My dealer fixed it. Simply plugged into the computer and calibrated to reduce the pressure difference between inside the tank and ambient pressure to the safe level which the car will detect as safe and now it releases the door as good as new.

Take care,
      06-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #11
Dasun_krishantha
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Guys it's a simple fix if the sensors are not faulty. My dealer fixed it. Simply plugged into the computer and calibrated to reduce the pressure difference between inside the tank and ambient pressure to the safe level which the car will detect as safe and now it releases the door as good as new.

Take care,
Sorry I'm newbie to here. Yes if it doesn't open by means of switch tank pressure valve need to be recalibrated. Once the pressure difference of tank inside and ambient pressure it won't open. After the calibration it will be ok.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #12
Dasun_krishantha
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

X5 2016 fuel door want open

Quote:
Quote:

Take care,
Sorry I'm newbie to here. Yes if it doesn't open by means of switch tank pressure valve need to be recalibrated. Once the pressure difference of tank inside and ambient pressure it won't open. After the calibration it will be ok.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #13
mgbabe
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
We dropped off ours at the dealer to look at it on Monday. The last fill-up we had to resort to pulling the green cord in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #14
theove
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 4.0E

3 times the problem and 3 times fixed including new sensors in the tank.It is still not working fine so up for the 4 fix...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:44 PM   #15
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theove View Post
3 times the problem and 3 times fixed including new sensors in the tank.It is still not working fine so up for the 4 fix...
What is the year of manufacture please. If the computer identifies a sensor fault then only it should be replaced. If the sensor is working then the computer should show the current pressure difference. If such difference is above the threshold then calibrate to the accept level as safe, the door will open okay.

Also please let me know if the door opens okay early morning or before the very first journey for the day. Mine opened without any issue and had issues only after driving for a while where pressure builds up in the fuel tank.

Thanks
      06-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #16
mgbabe
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
They found fault codes for the failed pressure sensor and replaced it. Part number 16-14-7-426-702. They had to remove rear bottom seat cushion to access it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #17
theove
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 4.0E

Hope for you it is over now. I have a my16. Random mailfunction.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #18
2017bmwx540e
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 40e

There is an extended LIMITED WARRANTY EXTENSION

If you have a failed FUEL TANK PRESSURE SENSOR on an i3 i8 and or X5 PHEV this repair is covered. Heres a link. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...45289-9999.pdf

hope this helps. I have the malfunction of the door latch opening and the fuel system malfunction with a check engine light on a 2017 BMW X5 40e. I will be bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow. I think this is my problem. wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #19
2017bmwx540e
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 40e

Just got the X5 from the dealer. I told them about the problem of the fuel door switch not opening the fuel door. I also had check engine light and fuel system malfunction light. I got the car back after about two hours of work from the dealer. It was a faulty fuel pressure sensor. Dealer replaced the faulty fuel pressure sensor. Now the fuel door switch works perfect. Check engine light is gone. The work was done free of charge. My 2017 is still under warranty plus there is a TSB that states the i3, i8 and X5 40e are covered. Hopefully all Is good from here on out.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 05:52 AM   #20
chumbedi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5e40 (F15)

Quote:
BMW replaced a sensor (warranty)
Appreciate 0