BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ex-'12 X6M, waiting on ?

LED headlights fogging up

Went take delivery of my 50i, but I noticed the headlights were fogging up. The dealer said they had noticed this, too, and had called BMW, who told them this was normal because it was cold outside. Sounds like nonsense, because we tried turning the headlights on inside the warm dealership, and they immediately fogged up (about 30%). I'm guessing the seals are bad. Needless to say I'm waiting to sign paperwork until I get clarification on this.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Seems like it could be normal based on this thread:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416230
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

"Condensation is normal because it was cold outside"?????? Total BS!!! I live in MN, it was almost 0F on Saturday and I had no condensation at al of my LED headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Went take delivery of my 50i, but I noticed the headlights were fogging up. The dealer said they had noticed this, too, and had called BMW, who told them this was normal because it was cold outside. Sounds like nonsense, because we tried turning the headlights on inside the warm dealership, and they immediately fogged up (about 30%). I'm guessing the seals are bad. Needless to say I'm waiting to sign paperwork until I get clarification on this.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Dealers get creative when they want to close the deal. I just hope that's not the official position of BMW. As a friend just asked me, do BMW headlights fog up in Germany?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV, 2015 x3 diesel

Quote:
Maybe the headlights are fogging up because the door seals aren't sealing properly. Or could it be because the lights on the instrument cluster aren't working right? Or maybe because the top view camera is missing?

Ah, the joys of a new model.

One just wishes that BMW would be more honest about these mistakes and figure out how to fix them. I have to believe that they monitor this forum, but I can not understand how they can be so out of touch with the way things work today (at least here in America!) that they think it's OK to stick their heads in the sand and not join the conversation and tell us what they are doing about these issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiburonh
Quote:
Maybe the headlights are fogging up because the door seals aren't sealing properly. Or could it be because the lights on the instrument cluster aren't working right? Or maybe because the top view camera is missing?

Ah, the joys of a new model.

One just wishes that BMW would be more honest about these mistakes and figure out how to fix them. I have to believe that they monitor this forum, but I can not understand how they can be so out of touch with the way things work today (at least here in America!) that they think it's OK to stick their heads in the sand and not join the conversation and tell us what they are doing about these issues.
I don't think it's so much the issue for BMW but more so for how the dealership and their sales personnel approach the issue. Unfortunately, dealerships don't always represents the brand the way it should be represented.

As for the headlight issue, I have none but it should not be a huge issue to get it replaced or resealed. I see this happen all the time on many luxury makes. But I would make them do a "we owe" on the headlights.

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

A BMW customer service supervisor was very clear yesterday:"we do not control the dealers. They are independently owned and we cannot influence them to do anything different than what they told younthey can do". F...off!!!! They sell you a car and after that they couldn't care less about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post
I don't think it's so much the issue for BMW but more so for how the dealership and their sales personnel approach the issue. Unfortunately, dealerships don't always represents the brand the way it should be represented.

As for the headlight issue, I have none but it should not be a huge issue to get it replaced or resealed. I see this happen all the time on many luxury makes. But I would make them do a "we owe" on the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
headlights were not properly seal, ask to see another model of your X5

condensation in the headlights is not normal at all, u will have spots after it dries up smh
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

A BMW engineer is going to be at my dealership today, so we'll see what he says about the foggy headlights.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
A BMW engineer is going to be at my dealership today, so we'll see what he says about the foggy headlights.
Good luck getting this fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Good luck getting this fixed.
Thanks. Since I haven't signed papers yet, it's more their problem than mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Since I haven't signed papers yet, it's more their problem than mine.
While I'm not glad several of you are having QC issues we are all helped by members giving a heads up on problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
While I'm not glad several of you are having QC issues we are all helped by members giving a heads up on problems.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Got a call saying this is normal and that the BMW engineer wants to meet with me to explain why this is normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Like it is normal for them to screw up on the "Build Your Own" website, offer a cheap instrument cluster with no daytime backlight without telling customers and dealers, place the heat steering wheel button under the steering wheel so nobody can see the light that shows if it is on/off, install cheap door seals that falls apart, not install top view on the 5.0 when the website says it is standard, ............. Anything else that they consider normal?

Quote:
Got a call saying this is normal and that the BMW engineer wants to meet with me to explain why this is normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #16
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

^ Jeez, condensation in the headlights is normal?
      11-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Condensation is normal in the headlights.

Read the manual in the vehicle, it mentions it.

It happens up here in Canada all the time. However, you should not have a collection of water, but condensation is fine.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

It's a feature, not a bug! My 50i, strangely enough, is fogging up more when the lights are ON
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #19
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP View Post
Condensation is normal in the headlights.

Read the manual in the vehicle, it mentions it.

It happens up here in Canada all the time. However, you should not have a collection of water, but condensation is fine.
Wait what? I've never had condensation in my headlights, so you can't say it happens in Canada all the time, unless you are specifically referring to the new LED headlights
      11-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #20
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

I'm thinking there may be a bad batch of LED lights. The other problem is that when the condensation dries you have large water spots on the inside of the housing
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #21
First X5
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 (E70)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
A BMW customer service supervisor was very clear yesterday:"we do not control the dealers. They are independently owned and we cannot influence them to do anything different than what they told younthey can do". F...off!!!! They sell you a car and after that they couldn't care less about you.

That was is the same thing I got from them when my dealer sold me a lemon then told me I would get trade in value for a car that was in every week for 8 weeks. My options were to keep a car that leaked water inside from the overhead lights and had a bad tail gate rattle. So at the end of the day I lost a few thousand. Can't say I will buy another BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #22
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

I wonder if the LED lights are just too cool in terms of operating temps to evaporate condensation.
Appreciate 0