BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Do you REALLY need the 50i, DHP, etc?

So here's a question for you folks with the 50i, DHP or other "performance" related options: how often do you actually get to take advantage of these things? I'm sitting here with my 35i without DHP and still having a blast driving it (for an SUV), but I realize that most of my driving is done on the highways or very typical, nicely-paved, straight suburban streets. I'm sure that's the case for most people as well. Where/how are you folks driving your cars to necessitate all of these higher priced options?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

I don't have DHP or other performance options, but I appreciate the pickup and growl of the 5.0i. My biggest pet peev is the driver that sits in the left (fast/passing) lane going 5-10 mph below the speed limit or driving side by side someone in the right lane at the exact same speed limit without any concern for traffic behind him/her. When the opportunity/gap presents itself, the Sport mode or Comfort mode in the 5.0i becomes very useful and makes it much easier to pass people like this. Doing this in a much lower powered car can be more dangerous/risky in my humble opinion if the gap/opportunity is small/brief. This tends to happen quite a lot in the traffic situations where I live. People just don't know how to drive sometimes.

I don't ever abuse my cars so yes, I can see where that much power can sometimes be unnecessary. However, I love cars that balance handling/power well. I think the 5.0i does it well, which is why we chose it. I have no regrets. After driving the 2014 535d X-drive as a loaner, I definitely appreciate the torque of diesel vehicles. I had no idea they could output that much power/handle so well. If I were to choose between a 3.5i or 3.5d, I would choose 3.5d for sure. It's too bad the M40d and M50d aren't here in the states. I feel like they'd be very popular.

Last edited by opasha; 07-21-2014 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

I think BMW is brand of "want," not "need." Do I "need" DHP or other performance options? No. I think you get where I'm going with this.

Z.
      07-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
Buckerine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia
I think BMW is brand of "want," not "need." Do I "need" DHP or other performance options? No. I think you get where I'm going with this.

Z.
No, I get that otherwise I wouldn't have bought mine either. My question is where are you actually utilizing this power/performance from a practical perspective?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckerine
So here's a question for you folks with the 50i, DHP or other "performance" related options: how often do you actually get to take advantage of these things? I'm sitting here with my 35i without DHP and still having a blast driving it (for an SUV), but I realize that most of my driving is done on the highways or very typical, nicely-paved, straight suburban streets. I'm sure that's the case for most people as well. Where/how are you folks driving your cars to necessitate all of these higher priced options?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
busta1978
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 XDrive50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckerine View Post
For me it basically has to do with the relationship between man and machine. That satisfying feeling when you press the pedal. Not to the floor; but on the contrary; you press it just enough to get the beast rolling with gentle growl and feeling the remaining power potential in that pedal and yet not necessarily having to go any further on the pedal.

I personally hate driving a car where I feel that with one push of the pedal I have already expended the majority of its power. It is nice to know that there is still so much more to be experienced.

In case you are wondering, yes I have the 50i

Do not get me wrong, the 35i is mighty capable, but the 50i with that exhaust note, the thick power layer lying beneath the pedal.

As for the ridiculous options, I cannot say that I am completely innocent of specing these but for instance I did not get the Dynamic Suspension yet opted for the Active Steering which I feel is something I can experience directly. With my M Sport I already have the M Suspension which is fantastic!!

I also spec'd the Harmon Kardon because sound is important plus I added the leather dashboard...forget the Range Rover interior, once you do this move with terra Dakota you have kicked the RR Sport out of ball park.

The car is loaded with other options but to be fair I did not add these. Cars out here come with them already....
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

This is my second 50i I also had a 2011 50i and this one is so much better than the older one in terms of acceleration.

Do I need all that power, probably not, but I chose the 50i just for that reason. If I ever wanted it, I would have it and not second guess myself.

I don't any of the suspension tweaks because I really don't corner on a rail, slalom the vehicle, or generally "hot rod" it around. I appreciate it for what it is and what it can do, enough said.

I did get some creature comforts like HK, comfort seats, heated seats and the executive package.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
patrick1
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 GT3, '17 X5M

Options

I have a '14/5.0 with DHP. I chose to put my money into performance options as opposed to luxury upgrades. For ex. the DHP at $4500 makes more sense to me than a stereo upgrade. I understand others have different priorities. The DHP gives me the opportunity to set the chassis and overall performance of the vehicle to suit the road conditions. I have never driven a X5 without this option. The one issue that the DHP can't account for is the high center of gravity. The motor will still overwhelm the chassis even in sport+ mode and with the staggered 20'' setup in very spirited driving. Overall -a pretty solid vehicle regardless of your preferences.

Last edited by patrick1; 07-21-2014 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: grammer
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia

Z.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
Buckerine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick1 View Post
I have a '14/5.0 with and DHP. I chose to put my money into performance options as opposed to luxury upgrades. For ex. the DHP at $4500 makes more sense to me than a stereo upgrade. I understand others have different priorities. The DHP gives me the opportunity to set the chassis and overall performance of the vehicle to suit the road conditions. I have never driven a X5 without this option. The one issue that the DHP can't account for is the high center of gravity. The motor will still overwhelm the chassis even in sport+ mode and with the staggered 20'' setup in very spirited driving. Overall -a pretty solid vehicle regardless of your preferences.
thanks. So my question is where are you doing this "very spirited driving"? Surely people aren't taking their X5s to the track?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

I think these spirited driving will probably be these ski trip travel in the mountains. At least for me. I don't have DHP but I imagine it would be quite helpful to minimize the body roll on such a heavy suv.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
JSteinMD
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 X5 50i SAV

Passing power

I agree with Opasha. My commute is 25 minutes each way - half suburban and half highway. When I get onto the highway, I appreciate the power to merge safely. I then enjoy opening it up a bit on my way to and from work (my auto therapy, if you will). It is just plain fun to pass someone doing 75 in the left hand lane with ease!
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #13
Nkbm82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 750i

The 50i becomes worth the extra money every time I need to change lanes to get away from drivers who can't seem to stay in their lanes on the freeway. The effortless surge of acceleration can take you to triple digit speeds in seconds if you're not paying close attention. The sounds of the 50i enhance it's appeal further for me.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2014, 12:14 AM   #14
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckerine View Post
No, I get that otherwise I wouldn't have bought mine either. My question is where are you actually utilizing this power/performance from a practical perspective?
I apologize if I didn't properly answer your question. I was simply responding to the title of the thread and neglected the body of the thread.

I have a 3.0 xDrive gasoline. I opted for this, not because I didn't think power of 4.4 liter was unnecessary, but rather my priority was a balance of mpg and power, and I thought 3.0 gas engine was a good balance between power and mpgs. If the 4.4 liter can delivery better mpgs with the existing power, I would have opted for this engine.

I also chose all wheel drive over rear wheel drive because my previous car was all wheel drive and felt the benefits of having an all wheel drive when conditions get wet. I think this is personal matter. Some feel this is not necessary and some do. I, obviously, belong to the latter. In So. Cal, I don't use this feature often, but when it rains, I feel re-assured.

I also have Adaptive M Suspension and DHP. I use Sport/Sport+ Mode (without increasing the engine output to preserve mpgs) on a daily basis. I can have a firmer ride on the smooth (sometimes) freeway/highway to minimize the "undulating" motions of the car during high speed when bumps are encountered. It also gives confidence in the car as body roll is dramatically minimized when turning in high speed is necessary (freeway interchange or sudden lane change to avoid something/someone). This essentially means I don't have to apply the brakes (or apply very little) and reduce speed in order to mitigate the unsteady feeling brought on by a tall vehicle such as a SUV.

Do I think all this is necessary? No. If you drive carefully, defensively, and abide by the speed limit, none of these options are necessary....helpful, but not necessary. And, again, this comes back to "want" vs. "need." But, since I wanted it, paid for it, and feel that it's beneficial, I use it daily to maximize my driving.

Z.

Last edited by Zipforia; 07-22-2014 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #15
Buckerine
Private
Rep

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
I apologize if I didn't properly answer your question. I was simply responding to the title of the thread and neglected the body of the thread.

I have a 3.0 xDrive gasoline. I opted for this, not because I didn't think power of 4.4 liter was unnecessary, but rather my priority was a balance of mpg and power, and I thought 3.0 gas engine was a good balance between power and mpgs. If the 4.4 liter can delivery better mpgs with the existing power, I would have opted for this engine.

I also chose all wheel drive over rear wheel drive because my previous car was all wheel drive and felt the benefits of having an all wheel drive when conditions get wet. I think this is personal matter. Some feel this is not necessary and some do. I, obviously, belong to the latter. In So. Cal, I don't use this feature often, but when it rains, I feel re-assured.

I also have Adaptive M Suspension and DHP. I use Sport/Sport+ Mode (without increasing the engine output to preserve mpgs) on a daily basis. I can have a firmer ride on the smooth (sometimes) freeway/highway to minimize the "undulating" motions of the car during high speed when bumps are encountered. It also gives confidence in the car as body roll is dramatically minimized when turning in high speed is necessary (freeway interchange or sudden lane change to avoid something/someone). This essentially means I don't have to apply the brakes (or apply very little) and reduce speed in order to mitigate the unsteady feeling brought on by a tall vehicle such as a SUV.

Do I think all this is necessary? No. If you drive carefully, defensively, and abide by the speed limit, none of these options are necessary....helpful, but not necessary. And, again, this comes back to "want" vs. "need." But, since I wanted it, paid for it, and feel that it's beneficial, I use it daily to maximize my driving.

Z.
terrific post.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #16
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07
I think these spirited driving will probably be these ski trip travel in the mountains. At least for me. I don't have DHP but I imagine it would be quite helpful to minimize the body roll on such a heavy suv.
That and torque vectoring is very useful in snow/undulating conditions.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
I totally agree. My 35 X6 (DSP+adaptive drive) was basically equivalent to an F15 with MSport suspension and DHP. At the time I didn't want to pay the $$$ that both a 50i and adaptive drive would rack up. It took a lot of test drives, form posts, and soul searching to come to the conclusion that I would prefer the handling characteristics over raw power and I'm glad that I did it. That thing acted like it rolled on rails. To me, if an X6 didn't have adaptive drive, it was way too squishy. I drove in sport all the time.

E71 X6s came with DSP (DHP in F15 speak) by default. Before I got my E71 I owned an E70 30d with adaptive drive (DHP, and therefore DSP wasn't available on an X5 then). My X6 handled way better on curves and turns. Under/oversteer was almost non-existent. The car always went exactly where I put it at any speed, like it was an extension of myself. I miss my car...

What I mean is: DHP = yes!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #18
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

DHP is totally worth it.. but its not associated with speed enhancement... but more like handling enhancements... As far as the 50i vs 35i.. I currently have the E70 35i and I think it is pretty powerful as is.. not as powerful as I would like.. The enormous power can and will be appreciated by anyone who is a car enthusiasts... If you only care for the badge (not that I am saying that you are) or just to get from point A to point B then no.. you would not appreciate any of the performance enhancers.

Additionally the spirited driving can be done on public streets safely.. I do it all the time actually 90% of my driving is spirited.. on curvy back country roads... on highways..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #19
Buckerine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
DHP is totally worth it.. but its not associated with speed enhancement... but more like handling enhancements... As far as the 50i vs 35i.. I currently have the E70 35i and I think it is pretty powerful as is.. not as powerful as I would like.. The enormous power can and will be appreciated by anyone who is a car enthusiasts... If you only care for the badge (not that I am saying that you are) or just to get from point A to point B then no.. you would not appreciate any of the performance enhancers.
Yeah, but even if you do appreciate the performance enhancers, where would you be able to enjoy them? I get that some people, as indicated in this thread, like to open up on the highways. Totally valid. Anywhere else? I personally do mostly city driving, so while I do appreciate the speed enhancement on the 50i, there aren't a whole lot of places where I can let 'er rip ........at least not without getting a ticket.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #20
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

You can enjoy the maximum 455 hp and whatever torque of a 50i has without a long stretch of road... You can appreciate that power on a short drive... You do not have to achieve 70+ miles per hour to appreciate that much power... The power of the X5 pushing you back into the seats.. the power of your X5 taking the S turns while accelerating into the turns... etc. etc. Yes you can do it with lesser HP cars but the feeling is totally different.
Appreciate 0