BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
Mdlooker
Private
Rep
Drives: F16

So I've been turmoiling whether to get the BMW 20" Winter Tire set since my vehicle has the Dunlap SP Sport Maxx Summer set, offset 285/35R21 (front) and 325/30R21 (rear) during this winter storm that rolled into the DC/MD/VA area.

Accumulations are definitely over 8-9 inches and that's probably a bit modest but of course not that way on the plowed roadways. Neighborhood roadways are less than desirable.

So I wanted to justify spending a few K on a new rim/tire set since it's not possible (to my knowledge of research) to get all-seasons at my current rim size and for such road conditions that will last no more than 72hrs. I decided to go for some salt for the walkways and take a drive. Boy, I was pretty impressed! Drove through snow mounds from ploy buildup and through neighborhood-road without any issue. Drove through county roads and interstate highways without even the slip light coming on. I didn't know the XDrive would perform so well. So though I won't make it habit to drive on those tires during such cold temps and in climate weather, it is good to know I have the ability.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Do yourself a favor and park your X until you either get different tires or the temps rise. You're asking for trouble. I can't even imagine the "without any issue" statement. You're putting yourself at risk, but worse you are putting others at risk.

Cimbs off soapbox
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907433.00
      01-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

When you slide around and hit another car you will then realize a couple of thousand dollars is peanuts compared to what the cost would be to repair yours and others damages.
      01-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
brevets10000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 2015

Like I always tell my wife in snow - don't worry about me, rather the other guy on the road......
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Do yourself a favor and park your X until you either get different tires or the temps rise. You're asking for trouble. I can't even imagine the "without any issue" statement. You're putting yourself at risk, but worse you are putting others at risk.

Cimbs off soapbox
There was a thread a while back, if I recall correctly, of a member posting pictures (damage from) driving in winter conditions with summer tires. Not worth the risk. Not at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #6
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
summer tires are hockey pucks in the winter... yeah maybe with xdrive you won't be completely stuck, but when you need to stop, AWD isn't going to help you.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
You don’t need to buy rims. You can just buy tires and change twice a year.
      01-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
summer tires are hockey pucks in the winter... yeah maybe with xdrive you won't be completely stuck, but when you need to stop, AWD isn't going to help you.
I drive my X5 with summer tires in the winter cold temps and the tires are fine. If it snows even a dusting that's when I drive my other awd.
      01-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #9
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I drive my X5 with summer tires in the winter cold temps and the tires are fine. If it snows even a dusting that's when I drive my other awd.
OP was talking about driving in the snow... that is what I was referring to.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #10
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
OP was talking about driving in the snow... that is what I was referring to.
Oh okay. You mentioned winter.
      01-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #11
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

So funny how people think winter traction only equates to being able to make it up slopes. 100 times out of 100, I'd rather be going up a steep hill in the winter than down one.

Just because I hit when I have a 19 in blackjack and pull a 2, it doesn't mean it was the smart decision. Play the odds, there is a reason you don't base decisions off a small sample size such as so many people do with summer tires in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #12
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevets10000 View Post
Like I always tell my wife in snow - don't worry about me, rather the other guy on the road......
Great words. I tell my wife to look for the sporty looking cars/suvs with fancy looking rims and keep an eye out. More than likely it's a person who has more money than car sense and probably doesn't even realize they have summer tires on their vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #13
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlooker View Post
So I've been turmoiling whether to get the BMW 20" Winter Tire set since my vehicle has the Dunlap SP Sport Maxx Summer set, offset 285/35R21 (front) and 325/30R21 (rear) during this winter storm that rolled into the DC/MD/VA area.

Accumulations are definitely over 8-9 inches and that's probably a bit modest but of course not that way on the plowed roadways. Neighborhood roadways are less than desirable.

So I wanted to justify spending a few K on a new rim/tire set since it's not possible (to my knowledge of research) to get all-seasons at my current rim size and for such road conditions that will last no more than 72hrs. I decided to go for some salt for the walkways and take a drive. Boy, I was pretty impressed! Drove through snow mounds from ploy buildup and through neighborhood-road without any issue. Drove through county roads and interstate highways without even the slip light coming on. I didn't know the XDrive would perform so well. So though I won't make it habit to drive on those tires during such cold temps and in climate weather, it is good to know I have the ability.
Off topic - what are the Dunlop SP Sport Max like as I need to swap my 21" P Zeros for the summer?
      01-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #14
Mdlooker
Private
Rep

I appreciate all of the feedback. When I was in a "snow city" for some years, we had the Lake Effect snows of 12 or more inches. I had my Tahoe w/4 wheel drive and this felt the same. I was literally shocked at the handling as the X even climbed hills slowly in the neighborhood. I don't know, maybe it's just my experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:28 PM   #15
Mdlooker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Quote:

Off topic - what are the Dunlop SP Sport Max like as I need to swap my 21" P Zeros for the summer?
They ride really well, and handle really nicely. They stick to the road and provide the handling that is expected of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #16
Mdlooker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
You don't need to buy rims. You can just buy tires and change twice a year.
For the dimensions of my rims, I need to get another set of rims unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #17
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
They ride really well, and handle really nicely. They stick to the road and provide the handling that is expected of BMW.
Sorry again off topic
With the 21" what is the wear like - got 15k miles out of the P zeros
As the Dunlops in the UK are cheaper than the P Zeros seriously looking at these RFT once the winter boots come off.
      01-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #18
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They do sell winter tires in that 21" staggered.
      01-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #19
Mdlooker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They do sell winter tires in that 21" staggered.
They do?!

I've looked everywhere.. NTB, Good Year, Tire Rack, BMW, Etc. - nothing. Where can I find them?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:31 PM   #20
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They do?!

I've looked everywhere.. NTB, Good Year, Tire Rack, BMW, Etc. - nothing. Where can I find them?
TireRack I found front and rear Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow

Front:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Rear:

So not exactly the cheapest tire (actually it's quite expensive), but they do offer them if don't mind changing tires twice a year instead of buying another set of rims.
      01-15-2019, 09:55 PM   #21
Mdlooker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They do?!

TireRack I found front and rear Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow

Front:

Rear:

So not exactly the cheapest tire (actually it's quite expensive), but they do offer them if don't mind changing tires twice a year instead of buying another set of rims.
Life-Saver!! I'll order them tomorrow. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #22
ErockBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: F16 XLine AW / F32 M Sport OB

If you haven't ordered yet, one thing you might want to consider is looking at the Member's Classifieds section on here. When I bought by F16, first thing I did was search A/S and winter tires. I decided on AS since I didn't have to worry about snow most of the time. I joined this site to sell/see if there was any in interest in my Summer RFT's. I discovered I could've bought a whole dedicated set of winter tires/rims for a few bucks more from member's on here. I also saw someone selling the exact same tires I bought (Conti DWS06s) locally, and I could've saved a few hundred dollars.
Appreciate 0