BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-28-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Reliability on the F15 X5

I am thinking about switching to either a X5 or a 2017 Acura MDX. I have a bmw f10 and it's a blast to drive. How reliable are the X5's? Which is the best year and when do they start having issues and other common issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #2
TheMane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Not exactly a long-term data point but:

I've got a 2014 50i with 50k miles that I bought CPO at 24k miles back in 2017. It's my first BMW (I had 3 Volvos, a Saab, a Honda, an old Chevy, and a Triumph beforehand) and after some orientation I've found it very reliable and surprisingly pleasant to work on, which is good because the dealer fees are outrageous ($1,000 to change the spark plugs? Really? An hour of labor to change the cabin air filter? HOW much to plug it into the bloody computer and run a basic check???).

I use mine primarily as a family car in the city and for a few longer road trips each year. The 50i's engine in particular feels so good especially when it's loaded down for a long haul-- there's just a ton of power to spare under the hood and I love how effortless it feels vs. something like my old volvo turbos which could also put out a lot of power but you really felt like you were pushing the engine somewhere it didn't want to be.

Maintenance has been straightforward and all DIY-able, lots of great guides on this forum and parts from a ton of reliable suppliers like fcpeuro, ecstuning, and getbmwparts. I haven't had any unexpected breakdowns or part failures.

I plan to keep this thing for another 50k+ miles or until gas prices skyrocket to the point that the mpg becomes untenable so fingers crossed my experience continues to hold.

A few small gotchas I've run into:
- lug bolts instead of lug nuts caught me off guard and ended with me having the dealer drill some of them out because they were stripped (probably my fault trying to force them out after they were overtightened in a past life).
- the 50i does eat some oil so I always keep 2 quarts in the trunk which feels a little silly (I haven't had to do that for any other car I own except the old Triumph).

I imagine you can get longer-term feedback from others here, but I've been very satisfied with the f15 and I think you'd find the driving experience far superior to something like an MDX.
Appreciate 1
NoSugar134.50
      08-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMane View Post
Not exactly a long-term data point but:

I've got a 2014 50i with 50k miles that I bought CPO at 24k miles back in 2017. It's my first BMW (I had 3 Volvos, a Saab, a Honda, an old Chevy, and a Triumph beforehand) and after some orientation I've found it very reliable and surprisingly pleasant to work on, which is good because the dealer fees are outrageous ($1,000 to change the spark plugs? Really? An hour of labor to change the cabin air filter? HOW much to plug it into the bloody computer and run a basic check???).

I use mine primarily as a family car in the city and for a few longer road trips each year. The 50i's engine in particular feels so good especially when it's loaded down for a long haul-- there's just a ton of power to spare under the hood and I love how effortless it feels vs. something like my old volvo turbos which could also put out a lot of power but you really felt like you were pushing the engine somewhere it didn't want to be.

Maintenance has been straightforward and all DIY-able, lots of great guides on this forum and parts from a ton of reliable suppliers like fcpeuro, ecstuning, and getbmwparts. I haven't had any unexpected breakdowns or part failures.

I plan to keep this thing for another 50k+ miles or until gas prices skyrocket to the point that the mpg becomes untenable so fingers crossed my experience continues to hold.

A few small gotchas I've run into:
- lug bolts instead of lug nuts caught me off guard and ended with me having the dealer drill some of them out because they were stripped (probably my fault trying to force them out after they were overtightened in a past life).
- the 50i does eat some oil so I always keep 2 quarts in the trunk which feels a little silly (I haven't had to do that for any other car I own except the old Triumph).

I imagine you can get longer-term feedback from others here, but I've been very satisfied with the f15 and I think you'd find the driving experience far superior to something like an MDX.
Thanks for the feedback. Any idea on how spacious the third row seats are?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #4
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmohammed View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Any idea on how spacious the third row seats are?
Not very spacious, those are only for small kids and grocery bags. You do get rear air suspension with those though.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 09:29 PM   #5
RedBent
Rep
Drives: Porsche, Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytuning View Post
Not very spacious, those are only for small kids and grocery bags. You do get rear air suspension with those though.
How much of a benefit is the rear air suspension? I'm looking at 3-row versions (for the kids and emergency use) and have been wondering how much is helps/hurts? The few I've been driven felt "floaty" so I wasn't sure if that was the rear air suspension or POS RFTs.

I know all the 3 rowers only come with rear air suspension, but the "floaty" feeling is a bit of deal breaker for my wife.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Tbh I never sat in the back of my x6 which doesn't have 3rd row seat but I do have the m adaptive suspension and air suspension (front and rear) which makes the entire ride very comfortable compared to my wife's x5 which doesn't have air suspension. We live on unpaved roads, and I prefer driving mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 10:09 PM   #7
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytuning View Post
How much of a benefit is the rear air suspension? I'm looking at 3-row versions (for the kids and emergency use) and have been wondering how much is helps/hurts? The few I've been driven felt "floaty" so I wasn't sure if that was the rear air suspension or POS RFTs.

I know all the 3 rowers only come with rear air suspension, but the "floaty" feeling is a bit of deal breaker for my wife.
I heard that the rear air suspension has a bunch of issues later on and it's pretty expensive to fix
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 11:26 PM   #8
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Every single thing was discussed here many times, every engine:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1706538
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1677899
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1692897
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1324994
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1537422
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1649178
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1579523

People also compared MDX vs F15 (just like you asked in your other thread)
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1424346

Air suspension is not that expensive to fix:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1511949
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1641660
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1498116

Please use search, this place is loaded with information and 99% of the questions are already answered.
Appreciate 3
jiggz2141.00
HJ478.00
Maverik2594140.00
      08-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #9
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBent View Post

72k so far and no issues.

3rd row is small but helpful in a pinch. Pre-COVID used it frequently for soccer practice pickups, etc. The sensation of "floaty" is basically what your reference point is- the X5 is more floaty compared to a cayenne but much better than compared to say any minivan.

Post-COVID i haven't used the 3rd row since. having 2 kids, we are not carpooling (where can you go anyways?). If you have 3+ kids, the 3rd row is not a good long-term solution.
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 1
NoSugar134.50
      08-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

X5 are generally very reliable. If you are buying a used X5, the maintenance history is the biggest predictor of future reliability.

What model year are you considering? 6 cylinders or 6 cylinders?
Appreciate 1
NoSugar134.50
      08-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #11
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
X5 are generally very reliable. If you are buying a used X5, the maintenance history is the biggest predictor of future reliability.

What model year are you considering? 6 cylinders or 6 cylinders?
xdrive35i or the xdrive35d
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #12
Gkacmaz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Try to get one with DHP (Dynamic Handling Package). You get adaptive suspension and active rollbar which makes the heavy car turn very well for such a big heavy SUV. DHP is a must for a lot of X5 owners
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 04:36 PM   #13
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkacmaz View Post
Try to get one with DHP (Dynamic Handling Package). You get adaptive suspension and active rollbar which makes the heavy car turn very well for such a big heavy SUV. DHP is a must for a lot of X5 owners
What package is it that makes the X5 exhaust look bigger than the single circular type on both sides?
I see it on some and some have the rectangular looking exhaust pipe
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #14
jero1213
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 MSport

Quote:
Quote:
What package is it that makes the X5 exhaust look bigger than the single circular type on both sides?
I think you're referring to the msport package
or the 50i model.

also, the 2018 without msport was updated to have the rectangular exhaust as well

Past:
2002 E53 X5 3.0i Sports Pkg - Titanium Silver/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #15
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljljl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
or the 50i model.

also, the 2018 without msport was updated to have the rectangular exhaust as well
Ohh okay thanks. Does the m-sport package come with the m performance exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:23 AM   #16
SargeMsport
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

I have a 2015 Msport and the exhaust definitely looks and sounds better with that package, especially when you get on it but I’m not sure if it’s considered a performance exhaust? It’s a huge exhaust pipe though!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:26 AM   #17
SargeMsport
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

As for reliability, my 2015 Msport xdrive35i has had zero issues probably because it has less than 20k. Will update if and when it does.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:41 AM   #18
jero1213
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
or the 50i model.

no it doesn't, would be nice if it did though

Past:
2002 E53 X5 3.0i Sports Pkg - Titanium Silver/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 08:44 AM   #19
AychShake
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Quote:
I am thinking about switching to either a X5 or a 2017 Acura MDX. I have a bmw f10 and it's a blast to drive. How reliable are the X5's? Which is the best year and when do they start having issues and other common issues.
This will probably get me banned from the forum, but get the Acura ma man.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 03:18 PM   #20
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AychShake View Post
This will probably get me banned from the forum, but get the Acura ma man.
Lol why, if you feel more comfortable with Acura, why not. There is nothing wrong with choosing different brand.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 03:40 PM   #21
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
or the 50i model.

The exhaust doesn't come with the MP body style package. Just adaptive suspension. DHP is separate from M as you can have it with or without MP package.

Tons of reliability threads as said before. Read through some of them.

Also the rear air suspension is not problematic. Nor is it expensive. Replaced both of my bags for less than $400 in about an hour total.

Plus you can easily change over to rear springs should you not like it. Just need the perches and springs. No error codes.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #22
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
or the 50i model.

The exhaust doesn't come with the MP body style package. Just adaptive suspension. DHP is separate from M as you can have it with or without MP package.

Tons of reliability threads as said before. Read through some of them.

Also the rear air suspension is not problematic. Nor is it expensive. Replaced both of my bags for less than $400 in about an hour total.

Plus you can easily change over to rear springs should you not like it. Just need the perches and springs. No error codes.
Thanks so do I have to install the MP Exhaust aftermarket? There's no packages in the car that come with it
Appreciate 0