BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Service Bulletins

While looking for the heating bulletin earlier, I thought I'd take a look at other bulletins for the F15. While it is a brand new platform and certain things are to be expected, some of them (to me) leave me scratching my head completely.

Gear selector cannot be moved to sport/manual (requires replacement)
Headlight aim due to jammed motors in the LED housings
Adaptive headlight malfunction in cold weather
Daytime running lights not switching on after transport mode deactivated
Interior ambient lighting malfunctions
Outside mirror turn signals not working
Vehicle can't be unlocked with remote when in transport mode
Incorrect tire size label
Outside door mirror triangle protrusion/wind noise
Tailgate strut bolt corrosion
Steering heating issue
Differential gears not hardened (delivery stop)
Poor rear window wiping
Door mirror tilt when in reverse inoperable
Various electrical complaints
CCM: Parking or Daytime Driving Lights failure

All this, and nothing for the door seal issue. There are more, too... didn't want to post them all.

Curious - who has had any of these issues? Most are fixed by coding. Some require replacement parts. Some aren't scheduled to be fixed until various ISTA I-Levels either in March, April or July.
      03-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

"Differential gears not hardened (delivery stop)"

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

First of all, thank you for posting the heated steering wheel bulletin in my other thread. My heated steering wheel stopped working and I have a service appointment next week. Now looking at these bulletins I am scratching my head on the outside mirror wind noise. I noticed wind noise once when driving alone and having the radio off. I did not pay much attention since I turned the radio on and kind of forgot about it. Now I will check it again. I am surprised I did not see anything for the Powertrain Malfunction which I had a warning twice which disappeared after I turned the dar off.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer
While looking for the heating bulletin earlier, I thought I'd take a look at other bulletins for the F15. While it is a brand new platform and certain things are to be expected, some of them (to me) leave me scratching my head completely.

Steering heating issue
Poor rear window wiping

All this, and nothing for the door seal issue. There are more, too... didn't want to post them all.

Curious - who has had any of these issues? Most are fixed by coding. Some require replacement parts. Some aren't scheduled to be fixed until various ISTA I-Levels either in March, April or July.
I have a problem with read window wiping and wind noise... Also, I drove from Texas to California and I was 80miles from Los Angeles and the sport mode, confort mode buttons were not working.. It stayed in sport and did not change for a few hours.. Then all of the sudden it changed. The rear window factory tint was not done correctly.. There's like scratches near the black gloss... And the rims shinny finished were not done correctly. I have white stripes all over.. I should take it to the dealer.. I don't like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:34 AM   #5
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post

Steering heating issue
Poor rear window wiping

Thanks for sharing.
- Are these just related to US model or Global (I assume)
- Is it possible for anyone to gain access to these bulletin?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d

- steering heat failure, which has been fixed by a new part
- so now and than WARNING AD BLUE FILLED INCORRECTLY or other AD BLUE warnings, which will be fixed by new software update end of march according my dealer.

For the rest no complaints, (nock on wood)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Thanks for sharing.
- Are these just related to US model or Global (I assume)
- Is it possible for anyone to gain access to these bulletin?
These are global bulletins. Some might be market specific or affect a specific range of VINs.

I pay for access to BMW's tools and tech info. You can, too. Not sure what the URL is for Europe.
      03-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M-C, '19 Cayenne Turbo

I just started having the ambient light problem. The top color-changing line works, but the bottom 2 do not. (No warnings show up on dash)

I am also having problems with the passenger rear door panel rattling. The dealer says this was not caused by BMW and therefore REFUSES to warranty it.
Dealer wants to charge me $350 to look at it and $20 if they have to replace the door panel clips. (Great customer service on a $87K car!!!)

I am afraid to have the dealer look at the Ambient light issue since I am sure they will say they cannot claim it under warranty since I had a radar detector installed!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
JJPP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5

One thing I did before I placed the order for the new X5 was to read every single thread to make sure how the new car was doing. Finally after 6 months of readings and considering that only a few minus problem have been posted , I decided to order the car. But now that I see all of these problems on one single thread I am confuse and thinking on cancelling the order.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't cancel. All new models have introductory teething problems. Some of the above affect a small number of cars and aren't indicative of larger problems with the vehicle.

BMW has fantastic warranty service. I've never had an issue with them fixing things for me when I've pointed out a concern.
      03-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #11
JJPP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5

Quote:
I wouldn't cancel. All new models have introductory teething problems. Some of the above affect a small number of cars and aren't indicative of larger problems with the vehicle.

BMW has fantastic warranty service. I've never had an issue with them fixing things for me when I've pointed out a concern.
Thank You. I will consider your advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Also, it's worth mentioning that many of the above bulletins apply to early build vehicles and that the issues noted have already been corrected in serial production. I just thought it would be helpful to share so those individuals who might have a problem (from the list) have a point of reference.

I'm happy to provide additional detail. It saves time and headaches.
      03-13-2014, 12:41 AM   #13
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV, 2015 x3 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelodge400 View Post
I just started having the ambient light problem. The top color-changing line works, but the bottom 2 do not. (No warnings show up on dash)

I am also having problems with the passenger rear door panel rattling. The dealer says this was not caused by BMW and therefore REFUSES to warranty it.
Dealer wants to charge me $350 to look at it and $20 if they have to replace the door panel clips. (Great customer service on a $87K car!!!)

I am afraid to have the dealer look at the Ambient light issue since I am sure they will say they cannot claim it under warranty since I had a radar detector installed!
Wow, how unfortunate! Who is your dealer - you should not feel afraid to call them out here!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep

It's Peter Pan BMW in Burlingame, CA.

I let both my service adviser and the manager know my frustration but they could really careless. My service adviser has pulled similar excuses in the past when I have brought in my M6.

I also have a Porsche and Audi and the local dealer (Rector Motors) treats my business like gold. Not once have they ever told me something could not be covered under warranty..especially on a vehicle that has less than 2,000 miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiburonh View Post
Wow, how unfortunate! Who is your dealer - you should not feel afraid to call them out here!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelodge400
It's Peter Pan BMW in Burlingame, CA.

I let both my service adviser and the manager know my frustration but they could really careless. My service adviser has pulled similar excuses in the past when I have brought in my M6.

I also have a Porsche and Audi and the local dealer (Rector Motors) treats my business like gold. Not once have they ever told me something could not be covered under warranty..especially on a vehicle that has less than 2,000 miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiburonh View Post
I've never serviced there. But I have nothing but positive things to say about BMWSF and Sonnen BMW. Give them a try?
      03-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #16
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've never serviced there. But I have nothing but positive things to say about BMWSF and Sonnen BMW. Give them a try?
Thank you!
I will definitely give BMWSF a try next. I'm sure someone wants my business!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:55 AM   #17
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:

Steering heating issue
Poor rear window wiping

No, Please DO post ALL!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #18
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep

On Thursday, I just got the dreaded "Drivetrain Malfunction"
I thought it was a software glitch, but 4 days later it still has the issue. The HP is also limited.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #19
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelodge400 View Post
On Thursday, I just got the dreaded "Drivetrain Malfunction"
I thought it was a software glitch, but 4 days later it still has the issue. The HP is also limited.
Ok - which model do you have?

Did the dealer check it out?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #20
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Just took my F15 to the dealer today to fix the heated steering wheel that is not working. Service Advisor was not aware of any bulletins but said mine was one of the first F15 he ever seen in the service area. I mentioned to him that I had the "Powertrain Malfunction" warning twice on my car but after I turned the car off and on again it disappeared. He read all the information stored on the car key and nothing showed up regarding that issue. Will see what he tells me tomorrow regarding the heated steering wheel.

The guy was very nice but sometimes I find amazing how they are not prepared for dealing with a new car. He mentioned that the problem with the steering wheel could be that it is not that cold anymore so maybe it just doesn't turn on when it is "warm" outside. Well, we got snow this morning so I guess it should be cold enough for it to work.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #21
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenieur View Post
Ok - which model do you have?

Did the dealer check it out?

50i MSport.

BMW of SF said they do not have any available appointments for the next 4 weeks. Peter Pan BMW(Which I refuse to use even though they are located 2 blocks away from my office) said they were booked up for the next 3 weeks. and BMW of Mountain View can get it in next Wednesday. So I went with them.
Thank God I have spare vehicles sitting in the garage!

Since the "Drivetrain Malfunction" is a common problem with the newer BMW's, I'll report back on what the problem is.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #22
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

My drivetrain malfunction was related to a sticky valve on one of the turbos. Some are sensor related...
Appreciate 0