04-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #23
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhusuper View Post
So you are saying that if I don't get winter tires I'd rather use the summer tires?
I'm just saying you should be happy to have summer tires instead of all seasons from factory and use them during summer, and swap them with winter tire set during winter. This is what we are (legally) required to do in an increasing number of countries in Europe, for obvious security reason.

We should never compromise with security.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 02:33 AM   #24
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4termelon View Post
BMW is not a tire manufacturer. If there is no AS tires available for 20' in 315/35/20, then it's the same problem for any car maker. Tires size is not only defined by the size of the rims, and I don't think any of the cars you mentionned are using same tire size as the F15 (expecially RF with the same width).
Also, I don't think you can compare X5 handling, especially in corners, with cars like Jeep Grand Cherokee. Concerning max speed or acceleration, we are not comparing the same class of vehicle here. BMW has totally different objectives with the X5 comparing to Mercedes and Jeep in terms of performance, and tires must meet theses requirements and still provide enough security (braking distance).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #25
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc2000
This whole tire issue is so frustrating. I live in MI and definitely need all season tires. I can't understand why BMW doesn't do an all season 20" wheel and tire. Mercedes Benz offers 20" all season tires on the ML, GL, and the GLK. A 20" wheel looks so much better than a 19". Maybe its a run flat issue and no tire manufacturer makes a 20: run flat all season tire. I could care less about run flats.
They do have a 20" winter set up as stated earlier in the thread, and BMW uses run flats only, so no 20" all season options out there.

That said, I agree about winter temps and don't even think all seasons handle that very well in cold climates. I would go with a winter setup.
Appreciate 0