opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotweiler View Post
thank you opasha very much...
what is your opinion on comfort seats.
You're very welcome . If you are referring to the rear comfort seats, I'm 50/50. Last year's seats seemed rather cheap/flimsy compared to the standard seats. However, this year, based on member feedback, they seem much sturdier/improved in terms of look/quality. The upside to them is that they can recline. Let's face it... who doesn't like back seats that can recline? However, in terms of saving you extra space in comparison to the regular seats, there is none. The comfort seats pushed back to the furthest setting (rolling feature) is the default setting of the regular seats so leg room will be equal. Mind you, the regular seats are also thicker where the back support is. In terms of long term wear, the regular seats "might" be better because they aren't constantly moving and have a thicker/sturdier back. Overall, BMW build quality seems quite good as a whole. So, best thing you can do in my opinion is to go sit in both and see and test them for yourself. Fold them, push your back against them, and see how they move and look to you. That's how I based my decision last year when I was deciding on them and the third row seat option. I chose the 5-seater with regular back seats and don't regret my decision.

However, for the front, definitely buy MC seats. They are worth every penny.
      02-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #24
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

opasha, i see your posted image of suspension comparisons everywhere (thank you for sharing, by the way), however, i'm just curious as to where you received the information for the chart/graph? is it based off anything tangible? did you do a direct comparison of spring rates and rebound/compression statistics? thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #25
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
opasha, i see your posted image of suspension comparisons everywhere (thank you for sharing, by the way), however, i'm just curious as to where you received the information for the chart/graph? is it based off anything tangible? did you do a direct comparison of spring rates and rebound/compression statistics? thanks in advance.
I don't know the full spring rates and compression stats. I just found this from when a Bimmerpost admin posted it a while back: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=913797.
      02-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #26
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

ahh, i see. i guess the question would be better posted to jason the admin then. i'm assuming he received it from a bmw publication perhaps? thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #27
rotweiler
Private
Rep
Drives: audi a6

opasha...
i was thinking of comfort seats in front...
when you say that they are Worth any penny i will get them...
if you had the choise between xline or m sport which one would you get
i like the design in m50d but that one for me now is to expensive, like the x line for aluminum front grille, but m sport is too sexy...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #28
rotweiler
Private
Rep

the more and more that i look at the x6 i like it
but i don't Know how would that be a family car, i have a baby...
my wife is more for x6 than x5....
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #29
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
opasha...
i was thinking of comfort seats in front...
when you say that they are Worth any penny i will get them...
if you had the choise between xline or m sport which one would you get
i like the design in m50d but that one for me now is to expensive, like the x line for aluminum front grille, but m sport is too sexy...
Yes, Multi-Contour seats are what they are called and the adjustable features is what really make them solid. They can hug you and make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside (jk).

I have an X-line that has kind of been transformed into a Hybrid M-Sport, lol. To me, both look great in their own way. I don't like the M-Sport rear though since it kind of seems like its too low. They seemed to have modified this look on the new X5M and it looks much better. That is also why I did not wrap my rear exhaust black plastic in Satin Chrome but rather Carbon Fiber to keep that sporty raised look (if that makes sense). If you want overall uniformity, go with M-Sport. If you want something more rugged with some aluminum finish in the front and bank, go with X-Line. A few members who have bought Sapphire Black X-lines look really nice because the black plastic fenders blend in nicely with the body line as opposed to the contrast that those of us with lighter colors have. It really is a personal preference. Ask your wife...happy wife happy life .
Quote:
To me, I would pick X5 over the X6 every time even though they both are solid vehicles with their own unique characteristics. I just like the greater space/size. It just feels more "beast-like" to me if that makes sense, lol. You will meet a lot of people saying "Oh the X5 is such a soccer mom SUV." Well, I completely disagree especially with the new styling of the F15. It's very much manly/feminine in a good way so that both genders can appreciate it. That's what I love about BMW...HIGHLY modifiable to make it your own .
      02-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #30
rotweiler
Private
Rep

you are right about design, because i will take Black.. Black with m sport is good but with no alluminuim finish, i dont like
x line with alluminium finish on Black is very good...
i allso like a lot of space in the car that's why i will decide on x5... x6 is great in front but the luggage space not that big for that Premium car..
the deciding point will be the lugage space
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #31
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
you are right about design, because i will take Black.. Black with m sport is good but with no alluminuim finish, i dont like
x line with alluminium finish on Black is very good...
i allso like a lot of space in the car that's why i will decide on x5... x6 is great in front but the luggage space not that big for that Premium car..
the deciding point will be the lugage space
Good choice .
      02-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #32
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I know OP since said he was referring to the multi contour seats, but just wanted to add that the main advantage of the rear comfort seats, to me, is actually the extra room they can create in the cargo area. You can slide them forward a few inches, even with child seat attached. That can come in handy from time to time, Home Depot trips, etc. With as much space as the X5 has, it's still not a big truck. So, every inch counts sometimes and I believe it's somewhere between 4 and 6" you gain.

And +1 on the multi contour
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #33
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I know OP since said he was referring to the multi contour seats, but just wanted to add that the main advantage of the rear comfort seats, to me, is actually the extra room they can create in the cargo area. You can slide them forward a few inches, even with child seat attached. That can come in handy from time to time, Home Depot trips, etc.

And +1 on the multi contour
Very true, forgot about that .

Also rotweiler, here is possib1edoc's Black Sapphire X-line: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=17229509.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
ahh, i see. i guess the question would be better posted to jason the admin then. i'm assuming he received it from a bmw publication perhaps? thanks for sharing!
Yes, it's from an official BMW publication if I recall correctly. It's quite accurate in how different the suspensions are.

Last edited by opasha; 02-10-2015 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2015, 05:01 PM   #34
rotweiler
Private
Rep

Thanks very much it looks great, especially with white ivory leather and Black...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #35
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post

I'd pick that over almost any other upgrade, except comfort seats....
I'm almost ready to place an order on a M package F15, reading your post I see you don't like comfort seats, any special reason?

I'm a big guy, 6"4 255 lbs and one of my problems with narrow seats is that I don't fit quite comfortable, can you be so kind and explain the main differences between comfort and sport seats?
      02-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #36
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Many X5ers may vehemently disagree, but I don't see why having a baby or two would be a problem with an X6. Would an X5 be better for 2 or 3? Perhaps. But heck, I've seen 3 car seats in a 3-series in the parking garage where I work. If a 3-series can handle three little ones, an X6 sure as heck can!

The only issue that I can see that may pose a problem is that the rear doors don't open as wide on an X6 as they do on the X5. If you are seriously considering an X6, take your car seat to your dealer and strap it in, then see if baby-access is acceptable. I did this with my first X5 (my son was 2). I didn't need to do this with my previous X6 because he was 10 then .
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #37
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Many X5ers may vehemently disagree, but I don't see why having a baby or two would be a problem with an X6. Would an X5 be better for 2 or 3? Perhaps. But heck, I've seen 3 car seats in a 3-series in the parking garage where I work. If a 3-series can handle three little ones, an X6 sure as heck can!

The only issue that I can see that may pose a problem is that the rear doors don't open as wide on an X6 as they do on the X5. If you are seriously considering an X6, take your car seat to your dealer and strap it in, then see if baby-access is acceptable. I did this with my first X5 (my son was 2). I didn't need to do this with my previous X6 because he was 10 then .
This isn't an issue at all for either of the two cars. They are both big enough for babies and car seats . That whole "check box" should be disregarded as a difference, lol.
      02-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #38
rotweiler
Private
Rep

i Know about that and i agree with you
my only problem is the lugage space, how many things can you put inside...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #39
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
In terms of depth and width, they should be quite similar - this is where the back seat passengers will suffer more so since they are that similar. Also, the X5 height of the trunk will be a bit higher from what I have seen (makes sense since the X6 roofline dips down).
      02-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #40
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't resist: 717,969 Quarters. Now that's a lot of things.

How about 1239 12oz soda cans?

I know, not helpful. Unless you plan on transporting a lot of quarters.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 12:13 AM   #41
rotweiler
Private
Rep

i saw your X6 in white it's great, with that interiror.
Congratulations
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 06:04 AM   #42
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I test drove one (X5 M50D ) without the Adaptive Suspension, it was awful round tight bends, rear passengers were well uncomfortable, I have yet to try one with adaptive air suspension, I hope it improves it a lot, if not I don't want one.
      02-11-2015, 08:13 AM   #43
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i saw your X6 in white it's great, with that interiror.
Congratulations
Thank you. I'm still adjusting to seeing a giant white car instead of a giant blue car. Washing it was like a dream by comparison though .

On luggage space...I haven't packed this one up yet, but since the cargo liner from my E71 fits in my F16, its pretty much the same as an E71 X6. I've written a few posts on the cargo space of the X6. To sum it up, it works pretty well. Its not Suburban-like, but it is quite serviceable.

Here's a post with a pretty good description: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=16622333
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #44
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
I test drove one (X5 M50D ) without the Adaptive Suspension, it was awful round tight bends, rear passengers were well uncomfortable, I have yet to try one with adaptive air suspension, I hope it improves it a lot, if not I don't want one.
The MAdaptive suspension is not going to help very much with body roll on corners especially when the car is loaded with passengers. You would need the anti-roll stabilization mechanism of the DHP to mitigate that the best. In that same situation you described, if you drive an X5 with/without MAdaptive, you'd probably notice some difference if you're paying attention. However with/without DHP, you would swear that they were different cars.

If you have the MAdaptive suspension, but not the ARS, you can stiffen (sport) or soften (comfort) your suspension, but the system won't actively attempt to prevent body roll. However, you will get less in sport because its not bouncy like comfort, but with ARS, its considerably less.
Appreciate 1