01-23-2024, 09:01 PM   #1
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
What x pipe did you use?

I'm trying to figure out the best x pipe setup. Looks like the exhaust pipes are about 1.5" apart so I was trying to find an x pipe with that spec but seems to be impossible... most are wither 2" or 1/2" apart...
I was trying to avoid cutting and moving the pipes closer or further apart..
let me know what you guys have. I also don't want a crossover piped but a true x pipe that only shares a fraction of the pipe's wall...
      01-28-2024, 07:04 PM   #2
Upurock
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

I entertained an idea some time ago and was quoted $290 for custom fabricated X-pipe, including hooking it up.
Haven’t decided yet if I want it.
I have Dinan cat-back at the moment, so getting X pipe will benefit more than on stock
Thinking of F85 🙏
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 09:21 PM   #3
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upurock View Post
I entertained an idea some time ago and was quoted $290 for custom fabricated X-pipe, including hooking it up.
Haven’t decided yet if I want it.
I have Dinan cat-back at the moment, so getting X pipe will benefit more than on stock

I just got a custom $250 x pipe from eBay. It doesn't completely connect both sides but leaves a 'window' that connects them so it looks more like a high quality x pipe... I'll report on how the sound and performance is...
x5mMege12.50
      01-30-2024, 09:03 AM   #4
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

IMO, only way to get a good X-pipe is to have one custom made with 2.75" stainless steel tubing. (closest match to the BMW original exhaust size)

The stamped steel version most people use only come in 2.5" and 3.0" tubing, and are also not that free flowing from what I have seen. If you are only looking for better exhaust notes, they are fine to use. But if you are looking for performance, stay away from them.

I ended up designing and building my own out of Vibrant 2.75" 45 degree SS tubes. Since I didn't have a bandsaw it was a bit of pita to do, but result is a very free flowing X-pipe that welded right in.

Yes, I "only" have the 50i, so my X-pipe is not as much for top stage 2 performance, as it was to see if I could do it. This after buying and getting rid of a stamped X-pipe that looked like crap.
Still, I enjoy the little extra from having a much more free flowing exhaust, HP catted DP and muffler delete...

Any shop with the right tools, should have no problem making one and making it the right way. So I highly recommend going custom made...
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2024, 12:25 PM   #5
BulsaraF36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
IMO, only way to get a good X-pipe is to have one custom made with 2.75" stainless steel tubing. (closest match to the BMW original exhaust size)

The stamped steel version most people use only come in 2.5" and 3.0" tubing, and are also not that free flowing from what I have seen. If you are only looking for better exhaust notes, they are fine to use. But if you are looking for performance, stay away from them.

I ended up designing and building my own out of Vibrant 2.75" 45 degree SS tubes. Since I didn't have a bandsaw it was a bit of pita to do, but result is a very free flowing X-pipe that welded right in.

Yes, I "only" have the 50i, so my X-pipe is not as much for top stage 2 performance, as it was to see if I could do it. This after buying and getting rid of a stamped X-pipe that looked like crap.
Still, I enjoy the little extra from having a much more free flowing exhaust, HP catted DP and muffler delete...

Any shop with the right tools, should have no problem making one and making it the right way. So I highly recommend going custom made...
Which HP Catted downpipe are you using?
Thanks!
2016 435i M-Sport | Carbon Black | 20" 624M Wheels | MPPK | MPE | M Performance Brakes | M Performance Steering Wheel II with Display | xHP | Dinan Stage 4 | Dinan Big Turbo | Dinan High Performance Intercooler | Dinan Intake | Dinan Shockware | Fabspeed Sport Cat Downpipe | Custom Quad Tips | Autotecknic Red Paddle Shifters
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 02:05 PM   #6
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulsaraF36 View Post
Which HP Catted downpipe are you using?
Thanks!

this is the one I just got.... I think i'm going to fabricate a custom piping around this x pipe so I can just bolt it onto my oem pipes and in case it mutes my exhaust too much I can always swap it back to oem....

also F85 exhaust is 3" OD
      02-01-2024, 02:17 PM   #7
BulsaraF36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post

this is the one I just got.... I think i'm going to fabricate a custom piping around this x pipe so I can just bolt it onto my oem pipes and in case it mutes my exhaust too much I can always swap it back to oem....

also F85 exhaust is 3" OD
I thinking about buying this one from Amazon.

TOTALFLOW Natural Finish TF-SS3030 409 Stainless Steel 3 Inch X-Pipe-3" Dual (Inner Diameter) https://a.co/d/gyDNqjD

Edit: this guy installed on his X5M and says was good.
Review on Amazon: Worked perfect for x5m https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/...language=en-US
2016 435i M-Sport | Carbon Black | 20" 624M Wheels | MPPK | MPE | M Performance Brakes | M Performance Steering Wheel II with Display | xHP | Dinan Stage 4 | Dinan Big Turbo | Dinan High Performance Intercooler | Dinan Intake | Dinan Shockware | Fabspeed Sport Cat Downpipe | Custom Quad Tips | Autotecknic Red Paddle Shifters
Appreciate 0