Zorikos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 x35i

Tune and downpipe review

Model - 2014 X5 3.5i
Downpipe - Evolution Racewerks
Tune - BM3 Protuning Freaks

So I finally got around to installing the above mentioned items. I decided to tackle the downpipe myself instead of paying someone and it took longer than expected. The instructions suggested about 2 hrs for a skilled mechanic and it took me about 5 hrs lol. The biggest obstacle for me was the v-flange that connects the turbo to the downpipe. I struggled with that bolt and trying to align it together. Other than that, everything went well. The ER pipe is excellent quality and fit perfectly.

When I tried flashing the BM3 tune using my MacBook Pro I could not get a connection with the vehicle. It is required to have OBD agent running in the background and I couldn’t get it work for some reason.
I then tried a PC laptop and everything synced up fine and we were in business. The flash didn’t take long at all, maybe 4-5 mins.
With the tune flashed you could immediately feel the difference in power...very noticeable. I did a quick log and it seems the boost pressure increased from the stock 7-8 psi upwards to 15 psi. This OTS map is a stage 2 calibrated for 93 octane.

In comfort mode everything seems normal and if driven normally you cannot tell anything has changed on the car. In sport/sport + the car stays in gear longer and is more aggressive. You can hear a burble when reving at idle and when driving and letting off the accelerator pedal. It’s not very loud as I have not changed the stock exhaust.

My butt dyno estimates a solid gain which I’m guessing is around 100-120 hp. I did get a chance to try some 0-60 with my Dragy performance meter and I managed a 4.82s on 20” run flat tires. So based off of that it looks like it gained solid sec quicker than stock.

So overall very pleased with the results. The cost to hp ratio return is fantastic! For about 1k you can pick up a nice increase in performance and it is completely reversible.
Appreciate 3
      11-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

Nice, although I don't think you got 100hp. Maybe 50. You should do a dyno.

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy View Post
Nice, although I don't think you got 100hp. Maybe 50. You should do a dyno.
100hp on the crank is do-able.
Especially with better gas Octane that what we have here.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorikos View Post
Model - 2014 X5 3.5i

So I finally got around to installing the above mentioned items. I decided to tackle the downpipe myself instead of paying someone and it took longer than expected. The instructions suggested about 2 hrs for a skilled mechanic and it took me about 5 hrs lol. The biggest obstacle for me was the v-flange that connects the turbo to the downpipe. I struggled with that bolt and trying to align it together. Other than that, everything went well. The ER pipe is excellent quality and fit perfectly.

When I tried flashing the BM3 tune using my MacBook Pro I could not get a connection with the vehicle. It is required to have OBD agent running in the background and I couldn’t get it work for some reason.
I then tried a PC laptop and everything synced up fine and we were in business. The flash didn’t take long at all, maybe 4-5 mins.
With the tune flashed you could immediately feel the difference in power...very noticeable. I did a quick log and it seems the boost pressure increased from the stock 7-8 psi upwards to 15 psi. This OTS map is a stage 2 calibrated for 93 octane.

In comfort mode everything seems normal and if driven normally you cannot tell anything has changed on the car. In sport/sport + the car stays in gear longer and is more aggressive. You can hear a burble when reving at idle and when driving and letting off the accelerator pedal. It’s not very loud as I have not changed the stock exhaust.

My butt dyno estimates a solid gain which I’m guessing is around 100-120 hp. I did get a chance to try some 0-60 with my Dragy performance meter and I managed a 4.82s on 20” run flat tires. So based off of that it looks like it gained solid sec quicker than stock.

So overall very pleased with the results. The cost to hp ratio return is fantastic! For about 1k you can pick up a nice increase in performance and it is completely reversible.
That's very good numbers for 35i. You are just 1 sec away from Stage 2 50i - which is fantastic. Wood be good if you can dyno it!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #5
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36>F16>G30

Quote:
Model - 2014 X5 3.5i

Would you post your screenshot?) didn't see you in draggys charts
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      11-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #6
Zorikos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duercos View Post
Appreciate 1
duercos201.00
      11-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/o5s0n9.jpg[/IMG]
Thats impressive! Do you remember what the outside air temperature was roughly? And gas octane?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #8
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep

I've had 2 runs with draggy and trying to figure out what is the reason for better acceleration-colder air or a charge pipe that I installed recently) first is 5.35 sec, second one 5.02.
PS 18 f16 3.5 with mppk, mpe, jb+, afe drop in and a charge pipe..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
Zorikos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thats impressive! Do you remember what the outside air temperature was roughly? And gas octane?
Thanks. Temp was around 45 fahrenheit and gas is 93 pump
Appreciate 1
duercos201.00
      11-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #10
Zorikos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
That's very good numbers for 35i. You are just 1 sec away from Stage 2 50i - which is fantastic. Wood be good if you can dyno it!
Thanks. 1 sec is huge. I'm just trying to keep up to a stock 50i.
Appreciate 1
duercos201.00
      11-05-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. Temp was around 45 fahrenheit and gas is 93 pump
Thanks pal
Appreciate 0