BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-28-2021, 09:27 AM   #1
CYPER
Rep
Drives: X6 F16

X6 F16 ConnectedDrive and tethering

I have 2015 X6 50i and was wondering if it's possible for the iDrive to use my phone internet via bluetooth/WiFi thethering to access ConnectedDrive?
Phone is Samsung S21 Ultra if it matters.
I just want to listen to online radio directly from the car screen.

My previous car was 2014 E Class and I could stream online radio (TuneIn app built into Comand).

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Do you not have one of the option codes that alllows bluetooth streaming? If we had your VIN (all 17 digits) someone could decode it and find out how your X is optioned.

Or...if you go into iDrive...can you pair your phone to your X? If so, do you have both telephony and BT options?

I listen to SPOTIFY & PANDORA from my phone all the time because my phone is paired to my X with telephony and BT streaming.

The two videos below show how to pair your phone to your BMW if it has the option to do so:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
CYPER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Do you not have one of the option codes that alllows bluetooth streaming? If we had your VIN (all 17 digits) someone could decode it and find out how your X is optioned.
I think what you are describing is playing audio on your phone and then that audio is streamed to the car via Bluetooth. Am I correct?

What I am looking for is the option for the car to use the phone internet connection to display internet content on the car display and play online radio directly from the iDrive.

My phone is indeed paired for calls and audio, but if I am driving I need to fiddle with my phone to open TuneIn app and play a station. The opposite is use the iDrive controller to select stations directly on the car screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #4
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
That's not an option. You cannot tether your phone to the car for Internet

07-28-2021, 06:41 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYPER View Post
What I am looking for is the option for the car to use the phone internet connection to display internet content on the car display and play online radio directly from the iDrive.

My phone is indeed paired for calls and audio, but if I am driving I need to fiddle with my phone to open TuneIn app and play a station. The opposite is use the iDrive controller to select stations directly on the car screen.
I wonder if what you want is something like CarPlay. To be honest…I still don’t really understand what it does and why its popular…but when it is being discussed…screenshots look like some the icons you see on Apple phone products. Perhaps that’s what you’re seeking.

Others will need to chime in because I DON'T know enough about CarPlay to speak on it at any length.

But one suggestion I have that works with the system you currently have is… if you keep the TuneIn app open on your phone…you can press the MODE button on the steering wheel to switch between whatever media you are presently listening to and Bluetooth (if that’s the last MEDIA you were using). The most you may have to do is press the play button on your phone if you have it paused.

For example, if I’m listening to Pandora or Spotify on my phone…and get in the 6 or the X5…if I was listening to Satellite radio last time I was driving…all I have to do is press the MODE button on the left steering wheel pod and it will switch to Bluetooth and start playing what the app I have open on the phone. If the app was on pause…then all I have to do is press the PLAY button on the phone and it will start streaming.

Again the suggestions above are not what you’re looking for but you shouldn’t have to do that much fiddling with your phone to stream from it if you already have the app open prior to getting in the vehicle.

This is CarPlay…is this what you’re looking for?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-30-2021 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 06:39 PM   #6
CYPER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I wonder if what you want is something like CarPlay. To be honest…I still don’t really understand what it does and why its popular…but when it is being discussed…screenshots look like some the icons you see on Apple phone products. Perhaps that’s what you’re seeking.

Others will need to chime in because I know enough about CarPlay to speak on it at any length.

But one suggestion I have that works with the system you currently have is… if you keep the TuneIn app open on your phone…you can press the MODE button on the steering wheel to switch between whatever media you are presently listening to and Bluetooth (if that’s the last MEDIA you were using). The most you may have to do is press the play button on your phone if you have it paused.

For example, if I’m listening to Pandora or Spotify on my phone…and get in the 6 or the X5…if I was listening to Satellite radio last time I was driving…all I have to do is press the MODE button on the left steering wheel pod and it will switch to Bluetooth and start playing what the app I have open on the phone. If the app was on pause…then all I have to do is press the PLAY button on the phone and it will start streaming.

Again the suggestions above are not what you’re looking for but you shouldn’t have to do that much fiddling with your phone to stream from it if you already have the app open prior to getting in the vehicle.

This is CarPlay…is this what you’re looking for?

I guess what I want is exactly what I had in my E class, built in TuneIn App in the head unit.

Btw I have Android Auto, but don't have a TuneIn icon or any other online radio app. I have Tidal/Spotify I believe.

I need to find out if I can add TuneIn into Android Auto. That would be great.

In regards to basic Bluetooth media streaming, I would like to be able to change stations using the wheel or iDrive controller, but that doesn't work with online radio apps. I believe it only works with media player apps, such as Poweramp.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #7
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

How did you add Android Auto?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 12:18 AM   #8
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Add Bimmertech MMI Prime for AndroidAuto (or CarPlay).

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 09:03 AM   #9
CYPER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascotgrun View Post
How did you add Android Auto?
The previous owner added an aftermarket MMI box. Not sure what brand, but it has wireless Apple CarPlay + both wireless and wired AndroidAuto + Screen mirroring.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 10:19 AM   #10
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #11
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
I went with the 1980x720 Aftermarket Android unit. So much more options than just CarPlay/Android Auto. You can even customize the Home Screen layout on the Android side.

All OEM functions work fine.

I had the MMI Prime and got tired of only those functions. This is pretty much a phablet in your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 03:21 PM   #12
CYPER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
I went with the 1980x720 Aftermarket Android unit. So much more options than just CarPlay/Android Auto. You can even customize the Home Screen layout on the Android side.

I had the MMI Prime and got tired of only those functions. This is pretty much a phablet in your car.
Can you give a link to your exact unit?
Also did you fit it yourself? Was it PITA?
What extra options do you get?
What happens to the original iDrive interface?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 04:35 PM   #13
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYPER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post

Can you give a link to your exact unit?
Also did you fit it yourself? Was it PITA?
What extra options do you get?
What happens to the original iDrive interface?
I put gases mine from 4x4shop.ca

Pretty much anything you can do on your phone or laptop, you can do it on here (i.e., web browsers, HBO Max, Amazon & Video, You Tube, and more.. etc). I got mine with the HDMI add on for sending video to anything via HDMI and also the TV Tuner option, so you can watch Digital TV (TV Tuner is an additional small box that you must connect to your fuse box under the glove box, fairly simple process). These options are great for the front passenger and for rest stops 🤷🏽*♂️

I have Rear Entertainment and right now I'm trying to figure out how to blast video to it. They also sell monitors for your headrest if you do not have Rear Entertainment for your vehicle.

This screen gives your HU an Android add on. So you have your OEM BMW side, and you have your Android side. Same as the MMI Prime, but I believe it's way better. And for the price the sell that MMI box, this is a way better option. Even the screen looks nice (if you get the 720 screen) because it's all black so no silver trim on it.

Also, works with your factory NAV signal so no need to tun a stupid GPS Puck, just but they're GPS Splitter cable so your OEM and Android get the same GPS signal.

Link…

https://4x4shop.ca/product/2014-2016...lacement-10-25″-screen-android-gps-wifi-bt-a2dp-usb-multimedia-original-nbt-system/
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 02:35 AM   #14
besi44
Albania
Rep
Drives: bmw xf15

Garage List
2015 bmw x5  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Heyy
I have a 2015 f15 x5 and it doesnt have carplay/android auto
I got a question
Can i acces pandora or spotify on connected drive
If i use a vpn on my iphone
I live in Albania, Tirana
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 10:47 AM   #15
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

You can install 3rd party box to support android auto/car play, you can retrofit android unit, or you can just connect your phone via bluetooth and play whatever it is you want.
Appreciate 1
besi441.50