BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-15-2023, 10:52 AM   #67
KrisTallx5
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus rx350, F15 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
Definitely, you have a clogged drain in the sunroof if you had water coming down the visor. Pretty much, too much water accumulated and it overflows into the cabin, down in front of your visor. Since it’s all cloth and sponge up there it’ll absorb and get wet.

You’ll need to revive your door panel to see what’s going on. Get a non-marring panel remover.
You think the issue is behind the front right door panel? It kind of seems that where the noise started but then other speakers we're making noises as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 10:56 AM   #68
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTallx5 View Post
You think the issue is behind the front right door panel? It kind of seems that where the noise started but then other speakers we're making noises as well.
Your door panels are designed to take water from the outside. You should probably scan it to make sure you don’t have an electrical issue. But I would take the panel off to see…
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 10:59 AM   #69
toneatles
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTallx5 View Post
What is a FZD module? I have a 2015 and the other day we had heavy rains. I got into the car to notice water dripping from around my sun visor and it got all over the front right carpet area. The speakers we're making crazy sounds and eventually stopped but now I have no sound from my radio. What could have fried or broken ? What should I check?
I had water leak from heaven rain that messed up the fzd module. The fzd module controls certain electronic functions. I loss power to the sunroof and had alarm issues. Cost me about $1k to replace at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 11:18 AM   #70
KrisTallx5
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus rx350, F15 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneatles View Post
I had water leak from heaven rain that messed up the fzd module. The fzd module controls certain electronic functions. I loss power to the sunroof and had alarm issues. Cost me about $1k to replace at the dealership.
Everything works fine. No lights on the dash or anything out of the ordinary. Sunroof opens and closes. Car locks and unlocks just fine. Radio turns on just no sound from the speakers. I assume the water shorted something out. Not sure if a fuse or some kind of module. I didn't see many modules under the carpet other than mostly wiring.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 11:57 AM   #71
destroy26
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTMike View Post
Tackling this now on our X5.

Was driving this while I waited getting my rear spring/shock/mounts work done on my F10...

Heavy/steady rain last week and noticed water on the floor mat on the passenger footwell when I got in the car in the morning.
I couldn't find/feel the source, but figured I'd research potential causes here.
Symptoms sure-do sound like a clogged sunroof drain.

Hasn't rained heavy since and I'm reluctant to put too much water in to try to find the source....focusing instead on trying to dry it out completely (while we have a late blast of heat/dry before the temps turn) and seeing if I can find a blockage.

I started with the string trimmer line, but I can only get it in between 6 and 12".
Tried compressed air with a small section of hose pushed into the drain line. Now I'm anxious that I made it worse as I let the pressure get fairly high. All I really achieved was a little moisture blow-back.
Tried BMW washer fluid concentrate.

Dealer says they're happy to work on it, but states that BMW is NOT going to support the work at all. I'm underwhelmed by the local dealer, so that doesn't appeal.
There is an excellent independent shop relatively nearby. I emailed them last night, but haven't heard back. I plan on giving them a call. My hunch is that they have experience with this.

I also plan on giving it at least one more shot on my own...
I have a veterinary syringe and the plastic tubing that I can connect to that that I used to use to extract fluid when flushing brakes and clutch for my motorcycle. I was thinking I'd get a small cup of hot water and try pushing/pulling the hot water with that. I'm hoping that a few iterations might open up a clog ~ assuming it's near the top.
I also figure this is a good way to check if it's NOT draining well.

I can, of course, pull the wheel well cover and try to access the drain ~ but I'm reading mixed messages on whether that's where the drain is (or in the engine compartment).

I could also pull the kick panel on the side of the passenger footwell if it's likely that I have the kink there (per the youtube link above).

I'm also open to the idea that it's the drain in the engine compartment. My first stab at this was checking to see if the engine compartment drains were clogged. They DO tend to collect leaves and such...
After looking at that, I wonder whether I had that reassembled incorrectly (I had changed my cabin filter this summer). I can describe that better and/or take a photo if anyone thinks that might be the explanation...
I guess I'll know once I see whether water drains well or not.

Any other thoughts?
This is, to my surprise, causing me a good bit of consternation....I'm irked that this is such a common issue and struck by the potential electrical headache and/or labor-heavy repair (if I'm unable to manage this on my own)
Any update on your experience(s) here? Woke up to water on (and under) my passenger side WeatherTech mat this morning after extremely heavy rain last night. Everything else (visor, pillar, glove box, etc) is dry, which has me stumped.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 04:43 PM   #72
bimmerguy2248
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d

Quote:
Definitely, you have a clogged drain in the sunroof if you had water coming down the visor. Pretty much, too much water accumulated and it overflows into the cabin, down in front of your visor. Since it’s all cloth and sponge up there it’ll absorb and get wet.

You’ll need to revive your door panel to see what’s going on. Get a non-marring panel remover.

Hey there, thanks for this thread. I have water pooling in passenger side sunroof drain line. Water is coming down through the visor and everything. I want to try your tube hack. Did you stick the tube down the drain hole from the top? Or where did you insert the tube from?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 07:51 PM   #73
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy2248 View Post
Hey there, thanks for this thread. I have water pooling in passenger side sunroof drain line. Water is coming down through the visor and everything. I want to try your tube hack. Did you stick the tube down the drain hole from the top? Or where did you insert the tube from?

Thank you!
From the top, carefully insert it until it won’t anymore and cut it close to the entry. Leave a little out so you can remove it and clean it once/twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 10:27 AM   #74
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

Quote:
From the top, carefully insert it until it won’t anymore and cut it close to the entry. Leave a little out so you can remove it and clean it once/twice a year.
How much length did you insert?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 11:42 AM   #75
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E85 Sport View Post
How much length did you insert?

Mine was about 6”… give or take. Don’t force it, just make sure it’s the right thickness to go in there. Take it easy and keep trying.
Appreciate 0