BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
james92se
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 S Drive 35i

Sorry - front license plate bracket screws to bumper

Can anybody please point me to a proper size/type of screw to use for this?

Have the OEM bracket but NO screws with it that I can find. Yes I searched. No, please don't say "don't drill into the bumper!!!///one" or otherwise try to steer me away from just mounting it as intended lol. Already been pulled over numerous times and front plate does not bother me in the least. None of the threads I found mentioned actual correct screw size/type and/or merely focused on alternative mounting methods that I'm not interested in.

Does the bracket just screw right into the bumper plastic itself? The few threads I found that weren't just whining about putting the bumper on mentioned "self tapping" screws but I don't see why this is necessary if it's just screwing into plastic and makes me wonder if there's some backing plate or bumper support that gets screwed into.

Anybody have OEM screws you could measure and/or snap a pic of?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

According to Realoem the part number is: 07149240740.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_9423

I just recently installed mine. Holes were already in my bumper from a previous owner, and I had the original screws. I notice that realoem part number is not the self tapping screw. The ones I had were self tapping. And there is no backing it goes through the bumper and is held by only the thickness of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
NYC_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘16 X5

I had to use dorman license plate fasteners after I found my plate frame on the floor. Some idiot backed into it while parking and stripped the holes. With the fasteners it’s a larger hole but it’s more secure than just screws alone.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
james92se
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 S Drive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_X5 View Post
I had to use dorman license plate fasteners after I found my plate frame on the floor. Some idiot backed into it while parking and stripped the holes. With the fasteners it’s a larger hole but it’s more secure than just screws alone.
I just looked these up. How does the square plastic insert mount to the bumper? Seems like you'd have to open up a pretty big hole for them.

Thanks guys - guess I'll just get something generic since it merely screws direct into the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
NYC_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘16 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by james92se View Post
I just looked these up. How does the square plastic insert mount to the bumper? Seems like you'd have to open up a pretty big hole for them.

Thanks guys - guess I'll just get something generic since it merely screws direct into the bumper.
They have different size fasteners. It will make the hole slightly larger than the standard plate screw but in my situation the hole was already larger due to the screw stripping the bumper. With the fastener I can say for sure, thing is not coming off easy.
Appreciate 0