BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

View Poll Results: Alubeam Chrome Matte or Satin Grey?
Alubeam Chrome Matte 26 45.61%
Satin Grey 31 54.39%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

03-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #507
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkakonn View Post
I was really crossing my fingers for the accuair setup as this was something I was interested in as well. Nevertheless, everything came out amazing. Well done
Accuair was completely removed and was the root of all my issues. It does not play well with our F15 computer chassis sensors, etc. It's not a fault-proof system on the F15 and that can be dangerous, so not worth the trouble.

Thank you, buddy .
      03-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #508
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

opasha , what is your original suspension setup? Do you have self-leveling rear suspension or plain springs all 4?
I am trying to figure out maybe it may works on plain springs setup on all 4 corners.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #509
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
opasha , what is your original suspension setup? Do you have self-leveling rear suspension or plain springs all 4?
I am trying to figure out maybe it may works on plain springs setup on all 4 corners.
Plain springs on all 4. No self-leveling. The car knows if you go to high above stock height. The computer is that intelligent and knows something is not right with the suspension - I guess it may work for people lowering their cars, but I'm not sure. I didn't have the chance to test the lowering for too long because of the fear of it zeroing out on me and damaging my tires and fenders if air went to zero, so I had to ride it at the highest level (ride height 3) for about 10-12 miles to the shop.
      03-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #510
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
It should work on our 4 spring system since we are independent and do not have electronically controlled dampening systems. I believe O has the self leveling rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #511
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
It should work on our 4 spring system since we are independent and do not have electronically controlled dampening systems. I believe O has the self leveling rear.
I'm wrong, Taran. You guys are right. Eddie said I had struts only in the front and rear had coil and factory dampening system, so it must be rear self leveling on mine. That would explain a lot. What's the vehicle option code for the rear self-leveling?
      03-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #512
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

opasha , should be able to trick the level sensor by extending the link.
Not sure if you are up to it again though.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:53 PM   #513
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:
I'm wrong, Taran. You guys are right. Eddie said I had struts only in the front and rear had coil and factory dampening system, so it must be rear self leveling on mine. That would explain a lot.
So only way to make yours work was to factory bypass the rear, add longer links and somehow make the ECU not flip out and have full manual control of it in conjunction with the rest of the air system.

Easier explained than done in this day in age of automotive electronic assistants.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 10:54 PM   #514
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
opasha , should be able to trick the level sensor by extending the link.
Not sure if you are up to it again though.
Definitely not because this happened to me when my front air bags went to zero --->
      03-02-2015, 10:56 PM   #515
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

opasha , but when it was working, what do you think of the quality?
I may call them up and see if I can get it to work in my car if you think the ride quality is worth to have.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #516
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
I may call them up and see if I can get it to work in my car if you think the ride quality is worth to have.

Personally I'd love it for stance and to get rid of this cut spring ride quality on 20"+ wheels for the 4 spring system if I want to drive spiritedly.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #517
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Chassis/Steering tightness: ZERO change - big disappointment...only slightly better when lowered.

Body Roll: Excellent...pretty much zero body roll and one of the best aspects of this setup.

Road Feel: Excellent, but dangerous. You feel almost no bumps so it's very comfy for everyone to not feel bumps...but for us guys on 22s, not knowing or not feeling the road properly is a bad idea because you could damage your wheels/tires and not even know it (ignorance in this case is not bliss).

Noise of Air Tank: SUPER LOUD/ANNOYING (omg)

Time Air Tank takes to fill to 200 psi (despite having bigger air lines): A good 10-15min...not very fast, and it did not seem enough to increase all four air bags to full height at once (needed to fill up a little more a second time - thus, bringing back the annoying fill up sound).
      03-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #518
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

opasha , so it seems like it only good for a show then. I mean no offense for the air bag runners, but it seems that it didn't do much good.
That tank in the open trunk with the pump running, yea, I can imagine that. Not fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:12 PM   #519
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Chassis/Steering tightness: ZERO change - big disappointment...only slightly better when lowered.

Body Roll: Excellent...pretty much zero body roll and one of the best aspects of this setup.

Road Feel: Excellent, but dangerous. You feel almost no bumps so it's very comfy for everyone to not feel bumps...but for us guys on 22s, not knowing or not feeling the road properly is a bad idea because you could damage your wheels/tires and not even know it (ignorance in this case is not bliss).

Noise of Air Tank: SUPER LOUD/ANNOYING (omg)

Time Air Tank takes to fill to 200 psi (despite having bigger air lines): A good 10-15min...not very fast, and it did not seem enough to increase all four air bags to full height at once (needed to fill up a little more a second time - thus, bringing back the annoying fill up sound).
Gosh... doesn't sound like the Accuair is worth all the trouble
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:12 PM   #520
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
opasha , so it seems like it only good for a show then. I mean no offense for the air bag runners, but it seems that it didn't do much good.
That tank in the open trunk with the pump running, yea, I can imagine that. Not fun.
Yeah, for the most part it seems that's what air systems are primarily used for. I won't negate the better road feel and body roll reduction, but without sharper/tighter steering, it isn't the full package and seems like an incomplete system. Better cornering/reaction times are improved with tighter/better steering...this is key for a solid suspension dynamic in my opinion and what I appreciate about my '04 FX35.
      03-02-2015, 11:15 PM   #521
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Gosh... doesn't sound like the Accuair is worth all the trouble
Yeah, I've always been someone who has driven cars for their handling, and yes, I have gotten used to making the stock suspension work and drive decently in EcoPro and Sport - we adapt and overcome the missing links to appreciate what we have. DHP seemed like it was so close, but I promise you because there was no steering change, DHP is on its own level still.
      03-02-2015, 11:54 PM   #522
ocman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Quote:
Yeah, I've always been someone who has driven cars for their handling, and yes, I have gotten used to making the stock suspension work and drive decently in EcoPro and Sport - we adapt and overcome the missing links to appreciate what we have. DHP seemed like it was so close, but I promise you because there was no steering change, DHP is on its own level still.
Ever thought of trading in your car and get x5 with DHP ? Or maybe a M5 ? X5 seems impossible to do anything to it. I admire you for having the gut doing what you have been doing and in the process giving us so much knowledge.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 01:35 AM   #523
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Ever thought of trading in your car and get x5 with DHP ? Or maybe a M5 ? X5 seems impossible to do anything to it. I admire you for having the gut doing what you have been doing and in the process giving us so much knowledge.
Nah, too much money already put into this car. It would cost much more to return it to factory state due to clear coat sanding of interior originals parts. That's why I ordered the new door panels in the first place. Trade-in would be a loss and more money out of the pocket to upgrade. I'm content with what I have, but just wanted to test the waters to see if certain upgrades were possible. I'm glad at least I learned something and benefited others in the process. Despite not having DHP or M Adaptive Suspension, it can still handle well in EcoPro and Sport mode (that in itself makes it worth something). I really felt confident in my driving in the snow even with all these issues...that tells you something about this vehicle's capabilities even on 22s. Despite the negatives, there will always be more positives .
      03-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #524
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Update 14: Just a random (not so great) picture of the interior I had taken earlier when I picked it up that night from the shop a few days ago. The car definitely needs a detail for both the interior/exterior.

03-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #525
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

Dayum... the CF makes the car look so good!
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #526
PnP
Private First Class
Laos
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 30d

Quote:
Update 14: Just a random (not so great) picture of the interior I had taken earlier when I picked it up that night from the shop a few days ago. The car definitely needs a detail for both the interior/exterior.
Love the CF! Well done!
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 10:51 PM   #527
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Speedo bezel, I need info, I hate that cheap plastic wrap around. The exterior Id like to match my aluminum trim.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #528
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Speedo bezel, I need info, I hate that cheap plastic wrap around. The exterior Id like to match my aluminum trim.
Just the same carbon fiber, and he used his skills to wrap it. I think it will have an overlap that he hid beneath the piece so it wasn't visible. It was one of the harder things to wrap. The key from everything I've read and researched myself is to use Wrap Cut precision tape. For exterior if you're gonna wrap, try 3M Satin White Aluminum. It seems to be the closest to the BMW interior aluminum finish: https://www.google.com/search?q=3m+s...w=1920&bih=958