BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #23
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
What is the reason we get different mirrors?
regulations, traditions or whatever
      09-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #24
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
(Silly) US DOT (dept of transportion) mandates, rules and regulations.

Definitions:
Unit magnification mirror means a plane or flat mirror with a reflective surface through which the angular height and width of the image of an object is equal to the angular height and width of the object when viewed directly at the same distance except for flaws that do not exceed normal manufacturing tolerances. For the purposes of this regulation a prismatic day-night adjustment rearview mirror one of whose positions provides unit magnification is considered a unit magnification mirror.

Convex mirror means a mirror having a curved reflective surface whose shape is the same as that of the exterior surface of a section of a sphere.
Requirements for Inside rear view mirror & Driver & Passenger side exterior rear view mirrors:
S5. Requirements for passenger cars.

S5.1 Inside rearview mirror. Each passenger car shall have an inside rearview mirror of unit magnification.

S5.1.1 Field of view. Except as provided in S5.3, the mirror shall provide a field of view with an included horizontal angle measured from the projected eye point of at least 20 degrees, and a sufficient vertical angle to provide a view of a level road surface extending to the horizon beginning at a point not greater than 61 m to the rear of the vehicle when the vehicle is occupied by the driver and four passengers or the designated occupant capacity, if less, based on an average occupant weight of 68 kg. The line of sight may be partially obscured by seated occupants or by head restraints. The location of the driver's eye reference points shall be those established in Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104 (§ 571.104) or a nominal location appropriate for any 95th percentile male driver.

S5.2 Outside rearview mirror - driver's side.
S5.2.1 Field of view. Each passenger car shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification. The mirror shall provide the driver a view of a level road surface extending to the horizon from a line, perpendicular to a longitudinal plane tangent to the driver's side of the vehicle at the widest point, extending 2.4 m out from the tangent plane 10.7 m behind the driver's eyes, with the seat in the rearmost position. The line of sight may be partially obscured by rear body or fender contours. The location of the driver's eye reference points shall be those established in Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104 (§ 571.104) or a nominal location appropriate for any 95th percentile male driver.

S5.3 Outside rearview mirror passenger's side.
Each passenger car whose inside rearview mirror does not meet the field of view requirements of S5.1.1 shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification or a convex mirror installed on the passenger's side. The mirror mounting shall provide a stable support and be free of sharp points or edges that could contribute to pedestrian injury. The mirror need not be adjustable from the driver's seat but shall be capable of adjustment by tilting in both horizontal and vertical directions.

S5.4 Convex mirror requirements. Each motor vehicle using a convex mirror to meet the requirements of S5.3 shall comply with the following requirements:

S5.4.1 When each convex mirror is tested in accordance with the procedures specified in S12. of this standard, none of the radii of curvature readings shall deviate from the average radius of curvature by more than plus or minus 12.5 percent.

S5.4.2 Each convex mirror shall have permanently and indelibly marked at the lower edge of the mirror's reflective surface, in letters not less than 4.8 mm nor more than 6.4 mm high the words “Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear.”
FWIW...I've been breaking the law since my 1995 e34 525iT. I've upgraded to the wide angle (aspherical) mirrors on it, my e38, my e39, my e53, and my f06. They offer so much more visibility (45° visibility vs 17° visibility)...and I don't feel as safe without them. Take note in the pics below of the wide angle mirrors vs the original mirrors on my f06...see how many more of the parking space lines you can see as well as what is beside as well as behind the car:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-18-2019 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #25
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
(Silly) US DOT (dept of transportion) mandates, rules and regulations.

Definitions:
Unit magnification mirror means a plane or flat mirror with a reflective surface through which the angular height and width of the image of an object is equal to the angular height and width of the object when viewed directly at the same distance except for flaws that do not exceed normal manufacturing tolerances. For the purposes of this regulation a prismatic day-night adjustment rearview mirror one of whose positions provides unit magnification is considered a unit magnification mirror.

Convex mirror means a mirror having a curved reflective surface whose shape is the same as that of the exterior surface of a section of a sphere.
Requirements for Inside rear view mirror & Driver & Passenger side exterior rear view mirrors:
S5. Requirements for passenger cars.

S5.1 Inside rearview mirror. Each passenger car shall have an inside rearview mirror of unit magnification.

S5.1.1 Field of view. Except as provided in S5.3, the mirror shall provide a field of view with an included horizontal angle measured from the projected eye point of at least 20 degrees, and a sufficient vertical angle to provide a view of a level road surface extending to the horizon beginning at a point not greater than 61 m to the rear of the vehicle when the vehicle is occupied by the driver and four passengers or the designated occupant capacity, if less, based on an average occupant weight of 68 kg. The line of sight may be partially obscured by seated occupants or by head restraints. The location of the driver's eye reference points shall be those established in Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104 (§ 571.104) or a nominal location appropriate for any 95th percentile male driver.

S5.2 Outside rearview mirror - driver's side.
S5.2.1 Field of view. Each passenger car shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification. The mirror shall provide the driver a view of a level road surface extending to the horizon from a line, perpendicular to a longitudinal plane tangent to the driver's side of the vehicle at the widest point, extending 2.4 m out from the tangent plane 10.7 m behind the driver's eyes, with the seat in the rearmost position. The line of sight may be partially obscured by rear body or fender contours. The location of the driver's eye reference points shall be those established in Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104 (§ 571.104) or a nominal location appropriate for any 95th percentile male driver.

S5.3 Outside rearview mirror passenger's side.
Each passenger car whose inside rearview mirror does not meet the field of view requirements of S5.1.1 shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification or a convex mirror installed on the passenger's side. The mirror mounting shall provide a stable support and be free of sharp points or edges that could contribute to pedestrian injury. The mirror need not be adjustable from the driver's seat but shall be capable of adjustment by tilting in both horizontal and vertical directions.

S5.4 Convex mirror requirements. Each motor vehicle using a convex mirror to meet the requirements of S5.3 shall comply with the following requirements:

S5.4.1 When each convex mirror is tested in accordance with the procedures specified in S12. of this standard, none of the radii of curvature readings shall deviate from the average radius of curvature by more than plus or minus 12.5 percent.

S5.4.2 Each convex mirror shall have permanently and indelibly marked at the lower edge of the mirror's reflective surface, in letters not less than 4.8 mm nor more than 6.4 mm high the words “Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear.”
FWIW...I've been breaking the law since my 1995 e34 525iT. I've upgraded to the wide angle (aspherical) mirrors on it, my e38, my e39, my e53, and my f06. They offer so much more visibility (45° visibility vs 17° visibility)...and I don't feel as safe without them. Take note in the pics below of the wide angle mirrors vs the original mirrors on my f06...see how many more of the parking space lines you can see as well as what is beside as well as behind the car:
Those are really great photos! Really show the difference
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #26
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
But the way blind spot system informs you about the car in the blind spot is warning triangles in the mirrors and vibration of the steering wheel ―\_(ツ)_/―

And actually you don’t need them for the lane keep assist
BSM doesn't vibrate the steering wheel
      09-19-2019, 10:36 PM   #27
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Well, it looks like a fun project, but you will need a new base for the mirrors with warning triangles and a steering wheel with vibration, in addition to the sensors and ECU.
Is there settings for steering wheel to vibrate for blind spot, I can see the triangle lid up but no vibration
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:41 PM   #28
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2018 View Post
Quote:
Well, it looks like a fun project, but you will need a new base for the mirrors with warning triangles and a steering wheel with vibration, in addition to the sensors and ECU.
Is there settings for steering wheel to vibrate for blind spot, I can see the triangle lid up but no vibration
It should be in the iDrive.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #29
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

You have to press the central button under the hazards light switch.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #30
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
Fortunately, it does. It is the 2nd of two warnings you get. You get the illuminated triangle...as well as a vibration in the steering wheel. If you're only getting the illumination, then as mentioned above, go into your iDrive settings to see if you don't have that turned on.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-22-2019 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #31
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
Fortunately, it does. It is the 2nd of two warnings you get. You get the illuminated triangle...as well as a vibration in the steering wheel. If you're only getting the illumination, then as mentioned above, go into your iDrive settings to see if you don't have that turned on.
You right, it does vibrate but only if you turn indicator and there is vehicle in blind spot
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 0