BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/F85 X5M

50i Tune and DME removal.

Hi guys, I'm trying to install Bootmod3 onto my X5. It failed twice, and was advised that dealership must've installed a update to my ECU and DME would need to be removed to have it bench flashed. Is write up somewhere to remove this? Is this something easy I can do in the garage? Yes, I tried the search function and nothing came up for the F15/16 chassis.
'21 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:30 PM   #2
MW50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubzeroVR4 View Post
Hi guys, I'm trying to install Bootmod3 onto my X5. It failed twice, and was advised that dealership must've installed a update to my ECU and DME would need to be removed to have it bench flashed. Is write up somewhere to remove this? Is this something easy I can do in the garage? Yes, I tried the search function and nothing came up for the F15/16 chassis.
Bump this. Also how would one know beforehand to avoid this.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubzeroVR4 View Post
It's not quite as easy as just unplugging them since the DME's have coolant lines running to them but it's easy enough for the average DIY'er

The entire BMW workshop manuals for all models are located at the link below. Type in the last 7 of your VIN, then search for DME removal.

Take pics of the DME connectors and cable routing before you remove them, it will help when installing them.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
It's not quite as easy as just unplugging them since the DME's have coolant lines running to them but it's easy enough for the average DIY'er

The entire BMW workshop manuals for all models are located at the link below. Type in the last 7 of your VIN, then search for DME removal.

Take pics of the DME connectors and cable routing before you remove them, it will help when installing them.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
Newtis is shut down. :-(
      11-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Newtis is shut down. :-(
You can still register, or you can look for instructions in ISTA.

Last edited by RED_Y_; 11-17-2020 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #6
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW50i View Post
Bump this. Also how would one know beforehand to avoid this.
Somewhere, I ran across a screenshot of the Bootmod3 app where it warns the user that the DME has been locked down and will have to be bench-unlocked but allows the user to proceed anyway. My hunch is that the unfortunate OP may have pushed past that warning and it's now in a broken state of limbo. The detection of the lockdown may only be included in the latest release of the Bootmod3 software, since the BMW update that caused this is recent; so if the OP wasn't on the latest software then there may have been no warning signs that he was headed for trouble. I sure hope he/she gets this thing straightened out. The dealership will be an avenue of last resort, and I don't envy him/her if they have to have the car towed in and have the dealership rake them over the coals.
      11-17-2020, 08:46 PM   #7
oma3710
Major
Rep
Drives: ?

The car was bricked for a night. Ptf remoted into my pc and got it back to stock. He said my dme is locked and would have to get bench unlocked.
SOLD! 435i- Cary Jordan E30 Tune~ Dinan Turbo~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ FTP oil catch can~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 1