BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-16-2022, 02:02 PM   #1
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35i , '67 Corvette BB,

Battery question........

Having just replaced the battery in my 2002 ZO6 Corvette it got me thinking about what the expense will be in my 2017 X5. Knowing that there are two batteries back there which one usually goes first ? I thought I had read that one of them is proprietery ? For those that have gone thru their dealer on avg what has been the cost ?
      07-16-2022, 06:24 PM   #2
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Lots of thread on this site covering the topic ad nauseum, so I'll be brief.

If you are lucky enough to have two batteries, you will have one large and one small. It's a coin toss which goes first, but I opted to replace both at the same time. The larger one is easily found, the smaller one, not so much. I ordered mine on-line from Summit Racing. I paid $200 for the large $150 for the small and used Foxwell NT530 code reader to register them.

At the dealer, don't be shocked to pay $250++ per battery, $250 for install and $250 to register them both. (Dealer $600 - $900)

Definitely a DIY job, but you must follow discharging procedures followed by registering each battery post installation.

Appreciate 1
      07-16-2022, 10:01 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Main battery is an H9/95R AGM battery. Like mentioned already…you can shop other brands or local BMW dealership for this battery. Many dealerships Parts departments competitively price this larger main BMW branded battery. You may want to call and get a price check when the time comes…and not just assume that it will cost you an arm & leg.

The smaller battery is an LN1/AGM battery (see below). It was hard to find an aftermarket replacement…which is probably why it costs so much from BMW. It is managed by the PCU (power control unit) in the F15…so it may tend to last longer due to constantly being managed while the vehicle is running.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-16-2022 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
ooshnoo877.50
      07-17-2022, 11:42 AM   #4
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Gents, thanks again for the replies and I must admit I know nothing about 'coding procedures' with regards to battery replacement.

Qsilver, thank you again, as always your replies are super informative !!
      07-17-2022, 05:44 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikado463 View Post
Gents, thanks again for the replies and I must admit I know nothing about 'coding procedures' with regards to battery replacement.

No problem. Coding & registering is not that difficult. The biggest issue owners probably have is assuming that they are the same thing. The forums threads oft conflate the two procedures as if they are one in the same.

Coding is required when you change the battery to one with different specs. Like if the old battery was a 49/H8 battery with a 92AH rating…and you replace it with a 95R/H9 battery with a 105 AH rating. This change is great enough that the system needs to be CODED to reflect the capacity of the battery is different.

Registering the battery is required ANY time that you replace the battery. This gives the system info that the charging system needs to set a new baseline in regard to its communication with the new battery. If the old battery was working hard in a discharged state…the charging system would reflect this. You don’t want the charging system to treat the new battery like the old one…that is why you register new batteries.

But if you replace your old battery with a new battery that has the same specs…then no coding is needed…you only need to register the new battery.

And if you have coding apps like BimmerCode and Bimmerlink…its as easy as hooking up to your devices and opening the app and perform the coding and/or registration. If coding is required, you perform that first, then register the new battery.

First pic below is from the BimmerCode app where you CODE for the battery if you change the type & capacity. (See note at bottom that says code then register w/Bimmerlink)

The 2nd & 3rd pics below are from the BimmerLink app where you go to register a new battery. You just click the 12v battery button, then scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says “register new battery”. It’s just that simple if you have the right tools.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-18-2022 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5886.00
mikado463468.00
      07-18-2022, 08:38 AM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikado463 View Post

No problem. Coding & registering is not that difficult. The biggest issue owners probably have is assuming that they are the same thing. The forums threads oft conflate the two procedures as if they are one in the same.

Coding is required when you change the battery to one with different specs. Like if the old battery was a 49/H8 battery with a 92AH rating…and you replace it with a 95R/H9 battery with a 105 AH rating. This change is great enough that the system needs to be CODED to reflect the capacity of the battery is different.

Registering the battery is required ANY time that you replace the battery. This gives the system info that the charging system needs to set a new baseline in regard to its communication with the new battery. If the old battery was working hard in a discharged state…the charging system would reflect this. You don’t want the charging system to treat the new battery like the old one…that is why you register new batteries.

But if you replace your old battery with a new battery that has the same specs…then no coding is needed…you only need to register the new battery.

And if you have coding apps like BimmerCode and Bimmerlink…its as easy as hooking up to your devices and opening the app and perform the coding and/or registration. If coding is required, you perform that first, then register the new battery.

First pic below is from the BimmerCode app where you CODE for the battery if you change the type & capacity. (See note at bottom that says code then register w/Bimmerlink)

The 2nd & 3rd pics below are from the BimmerLink app where you go to register a new battery. You just click the 12v battery button, then scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says “register new battery”. It’s just that simple if you have the right tools.
This pretty much sums it up. Just changed the main battery on the family X5.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 09:04 AM   #7
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks again 'Q', again, much appreciated !
      07-18-2022, 09:12 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 10:28 AM   #9
Kris Heiselberg
Greenland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40e

Chimming in here, as I'm about to change the aux battery on my F15 40e.
I've had a hard time locating information on what and what not to do, when replacing the aux battery. And like you stated, in regards to the confusion between Coding and Registering for a new battery(and also Which battery you are talking about), I haven't been able to find any information, in regards to the need of Registering the Aux battery, when replaced.
"Q" you state the difference between coding and registering and explain how to register the battery in Bimmerlink. But you're not differentiating between if you are replacing the system battery or the aux battery. Is that because Bimmerlink only offers the option to Register the System battery and not the Aux battery?

Best regards
Kris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 01:47 PM   #10
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Check this thread:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696164
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #11
Kris Heiselberg
Greenland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40e

Thank you, I’ve read that post, but it doesn’t give a definite conclusion whether or not the aux battery needs to be registered when replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 05:15 PM   #12
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Yes, some tools allow it but I would do it using ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 07:49 PM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Heiselberg View Post
Chimming in here, as I'm about to change the aux battery on my F15 40e… I haven't been able to find any information, in regards to the need of Registering the Aux battery, when replaced.

"Q" you state the difference between coding and registering and explain how to register the battery in Bimmerlink. But you're not differentiating between if you are replacing the system battery or the aux battery. Is that because Bimmerlink only offers the option to Register the System battery and not the Aux battery?

Best regards
Kris
Kris, yes… I am referencing the main system battery and not the aux battery in my post above.

And you are correct in regard to the app I’m using. When I hook my vehicles up (an f06 & f15) there is only info for the main battery that appears.

I assume this is because in my case, the PCU (power control unit) manages the aux battery. I have seen a few forum members mention that they had their aux battery coded or registered, but its never made clear if they actually SAW the aux battery get coded/registered…or did they just get charged for it by the person doing the work?

I would think if the aux battery requires coding/registration…then it will appear in the software as being readable. Also, some aux batteries are in different locations…and perhaps those aux batteries (like the lithium type) do appear when hooked up to software.

Again, the aux battery doesn’t appear anywhere in the apps I use. But if you have something different or since you have a 40e…perhaps any additional battery that requires coding/registration will show up. If it does…please report back…it would shed light on a great mystery.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 08:39 PM   #14
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Heiselberg View Post
Thank you, I’ve read that post, but it doesn’t give a definite conclusion whether or not the aux battery needs to be registered when replaced.

I opted to register my Aux. Might not be as critical as the main, but it was an available option with the Foxwell NT530.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 12:57 AM   #15
LVbimmer
Rep
Drives: F15, F87, Gen2 Raptor

I recently replaced the auxiliary battery on my 2015 F15 at the local BMW dealer a couple of weeks ago. They did REGISTER the auxiliary battery to the vehicle. The SA at first didn't realize the F15 has an auxiliary battery. She had to go in the back and ask the tech to be sure. My F15 has had the main battery replaced by this same dealer a year ago with an aftermarket battery (lifetime guarantee). My new auxiliary battery is an original BMW AGM battery part number 61-21-9-364-597. If you can find an aftermarket auxiliary battery that works, more power to you. The BMW one is like twice the cost of the main battery.
The "dead" auxiliary battery was original diagnosed a month or so earlier when the F15 was fixed under extended warranty for a leaking rear air suspension bag. My wife noticed the idrive screen go blank for a few seconds when she was backing up so I mentioned that to the SA at that time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0