12-30-2023, 03:49 PM   #45
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
How on earth are you getting 30+ mpg at 70mph?! I won't see over 30 until I'm under 60mph, and then I see 32ish at best...
Crazy right?? What's really amazing is that I started the trip on 2 lane back roads 45-55MPH, then highways 55-65MPH where the best I could get was 36.5MPG. When I finally hit I-95 (70MPH), I thought for sure I'd see a drop, but that's where the X5d started really sipping diesel.

Long Live the F15 X5d!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 12:56 PM   #46
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
How on earth are you getting 30+ mpg at 70mph?! I won't see over 30 until I'm under 60mph, and then I see 32ish at best...
I had the same experience. Lifetime average for the vehicle was ~26mpg. Highest we ever saw was ~30mpg. Now, TX highways are 80mph, we have roof rails, and we did travel with a roof box much of the time. But always surprises me when Clifton (and others) post their mid 30's.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 08:36 AM   #47
rcdawgs
Registered
Rep
Drives: X15

New 2015 X5 35D owner here. 96k for $20k with sport package. Happy so far!

I ran it up to the dealer and they said this was a warranty extension and will be covered if any issues. Is the recall separate from the extended warranty? I did a vin search for recalls and only the EGR cooler recall came back on mine. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 07:33 PM   #48
GrayX5D
Auto know-how but BIMMER newby
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I'm currently having an issue with my 14 X5D where it died and will not start. Thought it was the HPFP but I have no swarf in the fuel tank and ISTA+ measured the fuel pressure within the high side of specs when trying to start. Only codes are for head unit and SCR (removed for ABC delete). Interestingly enough my car doesn't fall under the recall. 96,000 miles and am dumbfounded on what to do
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 09:02 AM   #49
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayX5D View Post
I'm currently having an issue with my 14 X5D where it died and will not start. Thought it was the HPFP but I have no swarf in the fuel tank and ISTA+ measured the fuel pressure within the high side of specs when trying to start. Only codes are for head unit and SCR (removed for ABC delete). Interestingly enough my car doesn't fall under the recall. 96,000 miles and am dumbfounded on what to do
What tune are you using that you are getting codes for SCR? How long have you been deleted?

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 03:00 PM   #50
razrsharp
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 Diesel M-Sport

Following this thread. Was at my mechanic recently and he warned me to "do the high pressure fuel pump recall or it can blow my engine". My dealer, however, won't do it since my VIN's not on the list.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 07:41 PM   #51
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post
Following this thread. Was at my mechanic recently and he warned me to "do the high pressure fuel pump recall or it can blow my engine". My dealer, however, won't do it since my VIN's not on the list.
A company makes an "oh sh*t" preventative filter that installs post pump in case it ever lets go that saves the fuel system. Hopefully someone who knows more about it will post. I wasn't aware it would "blow the engine" but rather cause 10-20k worth of damage to the fuel system by contaminating everything with metal particles...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 04:09 PM   #52
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update: I had both the EGR and HPFP replaced last week. The dealer did me a solid and got me in ahead of the two week wait. Took 2 days (AM drop Day 1 and PM pick up Day 2)

Strange thing, service tech could not replicate the sputtering symptoms mentioned above before or after repairs. The only variable that changed was that I refueled from 1/4+ tank before the service which makes me wonder if I had a bad batch of diesel during my road trip.

So far so good, but I'm only about 100miles in post repairs. The only annoyances since is that the X5 wreaks of spilled diesel and there have been a few electrical glitches.

Example: the audible lock/unlock beeps were out of sync sometimes double beeping on the lock and unlock. CarPlay split screen has forgotten the widget on the right side of split several times.

No Codes or drivability issues. Fingers crossed!!

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 04:12 PM   #53
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
A company makes an "oh sh*t" preventative filter that installs post pump in case it ever lets go that saves the fuel system. Hopefully someone who knows more about it will post. I wasn't aware it would "blow the engine" but rather cause 10-20k worth of damage to the fuel system by contaminating everything with metal particles...
TuneMyEuro makes the filter, but it only protects the fuel lines and tank by filtering out bits that would go through the return line back to the tank. It doesn't keep it from getting to the engine/valves. On top of it not doing what people hoped it would do (protect it all), people including myself have experienced various leaks at the filter housing and fuel connections, and many of us abandoned it. I went through problems with one leaking at the housing, they swapped it, and that one was fine until the fuel connector completely failed.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2024, 04:16 PM   #54
GrayX5D
Rep

Quote:
What tune are you using that you are getting codes for SCR? How long have you been deleted?
I'm using the DUDMD tune and I also thought it was weird that The SCR wasn't coded out and was showing as non-responsive in ISTA since it's not plugged in. The tune had been working with no issues since I got it around a thousand miles ago so I didn't think it was that. I have probably going on 16 hours of diagnosis and not finding anything yet. Going to compression test shortly.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 04:20 PM   #55
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post
Mine isn't either, also a 2015 X5d. Apparently some of the 2015 X5d squeaked through part of the recall and supposedly have a "good" batch of pumps? I thought it was a design issue in which case no pumps would be good from the covered time period, but it was probably a broad manufacturing issue if that is really the case.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 04:53 PM   #56
GrayX5D
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInSJ View Post
Mine isn't either, also a 2015 X5d. Apparently some of the 2015 X5d squeaked through part of the recall and supposedly have a "good" batch of pumps? I thought it was a design issue in which case no pumps would be good from the covered time period, but it was probably a broad manufacturing issue if that is really the case.
My 2014 VIN is also not on "the list". Does seem bogus to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 07:23 AM   #57
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Update: I had both the EGR and HPFP replaced last week. The dealer did me a solid and got me in ahead of the two week wait. Took 2 days (AM drop Day 1 and PM pick up Day 2)

Strange thing, service tech could not replicate the sputtering symptoms mentioned above before or after repairs. The only variable that changed was that I refueled from 1/4+ tank before the service which makes me wonder if I had a bad batch of diesel during my road trip.

So far so good, but I'm only about 100miles in post repairs. The only annoyances since is that the X5 wreaks of spilled diesel and there have been a few electrical glitches.

Example: the audible lock/unlock beeps were out of sync sometimes double beeping on the lock and unlock. CarPlay split screen has forgotten the widget on the right side of split several times.

No Codes or drivability issues. Fingers crossed!!
What was the temp out when you had stuttering? I've had that happen when stations are still on a summer blend but it suddenly got cold.

I've also had electrical do strange things when it's been really cold. I haven't seen it too much in the F15, but my E90 was especially prone to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayX5D View Post
I'm using the DUDMD tune and I also thought it was weird that The SCR wasn't coded out and was showing as non-responsive in ISTA since it's not plugged in. The tune had been working with no issues since I got it around a thousand miles ago so I didn't think it was that. I have probably going on 16 hours of diagnosis and not finding anything yet. Going to compression test shortly.
I'm assuming stage 1 since you said you've only had it 1000 miles or so (they no longer offer stage 2). Dmitriy may have changed the tune since I got mine, but my stage 1 I was given the option to disable EGR and SCR, but stage 2 required it. But he also knew I was eventually going stage 2, so he may have offered to disable because of that reason. It's also possible it's a no start issue from DEF. I'd reach out to DUDMD and ask, Dmitriy is a solid dude and pretty responsive.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 06:03 PM   #58
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What was the temp out when you had stuttering? I've had that happen when stations are still on a summer blend but it suddenly got cold.
On Christmas day, I filled up and weather transitioned from a 40* to rainy 68* humid environment. The whole drive felt like I was driving into a head wind. Last 2 hours of 8 hr drive is where the sputters occurred.

Early am drive back with 1/4 tank and 40*-50*s it sputtered at the first few stoplights while engine was still cold. I babied it to a fuel stop to top off then light throttle the rest of the way home. Sputtered at end of trip pulling out into traffic 50*+ weather. Filled the tank and to the dealer it went.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 01:25 AM   #59
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInSJ View Post
TuneMyEuro makes the filter, but it only protects the fuel lines and tank by filtering out bits that would go through the return line back to the tank. It doesn't keep it from getting to the engine/valves. On top of it not doing what people hoped it would do (protect it all), people including myself have experienced various leaks at the filter housing and fuel connections, and many of us abandoned it. I went through problems with one leaking at the housing, they swapped it, and that one was fine until the fuel connector completely failed.
Good to know. I never looked into it but assumed it would protect the engine side as well. Thought it was installed between the pump and engine... that's what I get for assuming. I can't see why anyone would want it if it doesn't protect the most expensive part of the system.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 10:34 PM   #60
Kafer Werks
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Previous Owner had all new injectors, pump, filter & hoses replaced in September. The vehicle just started randomly dying when I stop. The frequency is increasing but if I put it in park it starts right up. At first I thought it was the auto start/stop but I was under the impression that only work in eco mode and I keep it in sport mode.
I just got the link for ISTA. I will have to install it and see if I can find anything but it sounds similar to some problems above....
Appreciate 0