BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-26-2024, 01:57 AM   #45
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1004ron View Post
I'm looking at a few used BMW X5 xDrive35i (2018 to 2022) and totally unfamiliar with the range.

I'd welcome and positive and negative comments and advice on my hunt for a replacement for my wife's Mustang V6 that she totaled this weekend.

BTW, I have a 2013 BMW K1600 straight 6 motorcycle and its fantastic.

I do all the wrenching on our cars and bike and keen to find links to the maintenance requirements.

Thanks.

Hi there. Welcome, fellow wrencher. The 2018 model is designated as the F15 model and has the n55 straight six. The 2019 + is the g05 x5 and has the b58 inline six.

The n55 is a solid motor. The b58 is proving to be the same, but it’s newer and this has much less mileage as well as knowledge regarding known issues about them. That being said BMW inline six turbo motors have tended to make big leaps in reliability with each generation. And power. The b58 is some ~15% more powerful overall.

I’m assuming there is a pretty large gap in the price range between the f15 and g05 at this point. I’d say you might be better off picking which model you like from an aesthetic point of view as they are largely very similar in capability.

If I were buying one now I’d prolly pick the g05 as the tech (car play, automated driving systems, etc) are all next gen. That being said the f15 is a great SUV. We just logged 700 miles on ours this weekend and I’m still shocked I like it as much as I do!
Appreciate 1
1004ron20.50
      02-26-2024, 02:19 PM   #46
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
Yes I spent my day researching this topic. I am almost steered away from N55 due to this issue and sticking to the M57 diesel engine lol.

I am not convinced the issue is related to oil filter gasket. I believe this is just purely coincident as what does oil filter gasket has to do with rod bearing issue.

I also did search other websites and it mentions an issue with oil starvation when making a turn at high speed (or while revving car at higher RPMs) but of course there is not "yet" a proof to this theory
The issue is related to priming the oil system after changing the gasket and having no oil in the car. It’s improper procedure after completing the gasket. You guys are blowing this way out of proportion. The N55 is bulletproof if maintained correctly. I speak from personal experience.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 1
1004ron20.50
      02-28-2024, 10:58 AM   #47
1004ron
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Hi there. Welcome, fellow wrencher. The 2018 model is designated as the F15 model and has the n55 straight six. The 2019 + is the g05 x5 and has the b58 inline six.

The n55 is a solid motor. The b58 is proving to be the same, but it’s newer and this has much less mileage as well as knowledge regarding known issues about them. That being said BMW inline six turbo motors have tended to make big leaps in reliability with each generation. And power. The b58 is some ~15% more powerful overall.

I’m assuming there is a pretty large gap in the price range between the f15 and g05 at this point. I’d say you might be better off picking which model you like from an aesthetic point of view as they are largely very similar in capability.

If I were buying one now I’d prolly pick the g05 as the tech (car play, automated driving systems, etc) are all next gen. That being said the f15 is a great SUV. We just logged 700 miles on ours this weekend and I’m still shocked I like it as much as I do!
Thanks for that.

We've been searching for what we can get within the limits of our cash in the bank and there's very few in our area, Louisville Kentucky, and I'm not comfortable buying online sight unseen.

My wife is set on a blue 2015 X5 for $17,000 with 110K miles on the clock.

The service history is good.

Drivers' door weather strips need replacing - these seem reasonably priced online.

One concern I have is that it spent its life in New Jersey, the salt belt, so have asked for the dealer to get it on a lift for me to inspect the under carriage.

VIN 5UXKR0C54F0K55490
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 03:19 PM   #48
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1004ron View Post
Thanks for that.

We've been searching for what we can get within the limits of our cash in the bank and there's very few in our area, Louisville Kentucky, and I'm not comfortable buying online sight unseen.

My wife is set on a blue 2015 X5 for $17,000 with 110K miles on the clock.

The service history is good.

Drivers' door weather strips need replacing - these seem reasonably priced online.

One concern I have is that it spent its life in New Jersey, the salt belt, so have asked for the dealer to get it on a lift for me to inspect the under carriage.

VIN 5UXKR0C54F0K55490
Yes, your geographic location is limiting. Sounds like you’re doing the right thing with the pre purchase inspection.

Cars are thankfully getting cheaper these days, so that’s in your favor.

At that mileage I’d expect to change some fluids right away if they haven’t been done. Mostly the transmission and the transfer case as they’ll help you avoid some large bills in the not too distant future.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
1004ron20.50
      03-01-2024, 09:46 AM   #49
LovemyBMWX5
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Oil pan/ Oil leaks!
Appreciate 1
1004ron20.50