BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-07-2024, 08:02 PM   #1
GrayX5D
Auto know-how but BIMMER newby
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

No start No codes

I'm currently having an issue with my 14 X5D where it died and will not start. I was driving and hit the gas hard because someone was tailgating me. At like 50-60 mph the gas pedal just stopped working. Hitting it did nothing even though I think it was still running and I coasted to a stop and it would not restart. Thought it was the HPFP but I have no swarf in the fuel tank and ISTA+ measured the fuel pressure within the high side of specs when trying to start. Only codes are for head unit(aftermarket) and SCR (removed for ABC delete). Interestingly enough my car doesn't fall under the recall. 96,000 miles and am dumbfounded on what to do

Last edited by GrayX5D; 01-07-2024 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:17 PM   #2
GrayX5D
Rep

This is the only code that I came up with using bimmerlink and veepeak. It's permanent but does not come up with ISTA +.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 09:15 PM   #3
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

Start at the basics…

Does it turn over, sounds like it does so not the starter.

Doesn’t seem to be a fuel system either.

Did you over rev it? If so, there is a chance you snapped the timing chain.

I guess the way you can check is to take out the glow plugs and measure compression?

Not sure how to verify timing chain…..
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 10:02 PM   #4
GrayX5D
Rep

I don't think it's my timing chain because it's not getting any hasn't gotten any cam or crank sensor codes. It also sounds like it wants to start because it sputters infrequently when turning over. I have started small and tested everything I can think of using ISTA+. Have at least 12 hours trying to diagnose. I've even looked in both sides of the fuel tank and ran magnets all through them with no metal found. I have had a charger on it at all times but the only thing I may have found is the low pressure fuel pump only gets around 10 volts when I turn the key. Not sure what it's supposed to be but the pump and module both passed the ISTA tests. So frustrating
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 10:18 PM   #5
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

And all modules are green in ISTA, no stored errors?
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 10:34 PM   #6
GrayX5D
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
And all modules are green in ISTA, no stored errors?
SCR is red (code S 0369) since it's unplugged for ABC delete which I mentioned in first post (EGR also unplugged and cooler blocked) . Tune is from DUDMD and does pull a S 0777 code which does erase when prompted through ISTA. Another module is yellow for the aftermarket head unit. Have had the head unit for 3-4000 miles and the tune for 500+ miles. All other modules are green.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 10:34 PM   #7
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep

Do a compression test and see if there is compression. You could have skipped the chain and bent up the valves.

With the delete it’s probably deleted a lot of common codes from even showing, I wonder if you can flash it back to stock and then flash the delete back on… before the ecu locks… it’s risky.

You could unplug the battery for a few hours and see if that does it, I doubt it though.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 10:45 PM   #8
GrayX5D
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsharma@yahoo.com View Post
Do a compression test and see if there is compression. You could have skipped the chain and bent up the valves.

With the delete it’s probably deleted a lot of common codes from even showing, I wonder if you can flash it back to stock and then flash the delete back on… before the ecu locks… it’s risky.

You could unplug the battery for a few hours and see if that does it, I doubt it though.
Definitely appreciate the response. I have just replaced the battery a few days ago thinking somehow that may have been the problem but it's obviously not. Next I replaced the fuel filter and ran the fuel system bleed through ISTA. I'm very familiar with compression tests for gas engines and have the equipment but not for diesel. Aren't the pressures much higher? Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not the timing chain because I would have heard something and with as many times as I've turned it over I think I would have noticed but here I am asking for help and you're giving it to me so maybe I should figure out the compression test.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 11:52 AM   #9
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you starter works and it turns the engine, you are getting fuel and glow plugs are working (and I assume they are working since there are no error codes) it does sound like a bigger problem, possibly snapped chain.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 01:17 PM   #10
GrayX5D
Rep

Quote:
If you starter works and it turns the engine, you are getting fuel and glow plugs are working (and I assume they are working since there are no error codes) it does sound like a bigger problem, possibly snapped chain.
If the chain snapped then wouldn't it be showing cam or crank codes? Also I wouldn't think it would be sputtering to start if the timing chain snapped

Last edited by GrayX5D; 01-08-2024 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 02:34 PM   #11
GrayX5D
Rep

I just flashed the car back to stock to see if I could get any codes that I was not getting before. I have a fault between The ZGM and the BDC. Upon further inspection I see the status of the remote control service is unavailable. This makes sense because my battery on my remote control for my keys died the night my car died. Could this really be the problem? Also, the key and remote I was using while flashing back to stock refused to work after the flash was completed so I had to use another key and remote. Anybody have any suggestions on how to check this theory or where to go from here?
Attached Images

Last edited by GrayX5D; 01-08-2024 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 05:23 PM   #12
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep

I’ve heard the cars key sensor can go bad. It should work if you hold it right up to the steering column. There is a picture of the key there. Have you tried changing the battery to the key? If the key got wet that could cause problem.

Maybe that’s the issue, but usually it will say key not detected on drive, can you toggle back on the head unit to stock output and see what comes up when starting it up?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 07:22 PM   #13
GrayX5D
Rep

Yeah it's not the key or battery, I think I'm chasing a ghost with the key remote being the problem
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 07:31 PM   #14
GrayX5D
Rep

DDE CD9553 code

After flashing back to stock, this seems to be the only code in ISTA that I can't explain. Apparently there is a fault between the DDE and BDC-ZGM. I also attached a picture showing all of the codes but they can all be explained by the ABC delete. So how do I find that fault? I'm dying here guys. Please help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 08:33 PM   #15
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

1. Does the car turn on and starter can be heard turning engine?
2. Do you have any error messages in the iDrive?
3. Did you check fuses and verified there is no water in the fuse panel area?
4. Do you have fuel, when was the last time you got diesel (might be a faulty level sensor).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 09:02 PM   #16
GrayX5D
Rep

Quote:
1. Does the car turn on and starter can be heard turning engine?
2. Do you have any error messages in the iDrive?
3. Did you check fuses and verified there is no water in the fuse panel area?
4. Do you have fuel, when was the last time you got diesel (might be a faulty level sensor).
1. Yes and it's definitely turning over
2. Idrive says there is a drivetrain malfunction
3. I've checked all the fuses I can think of and saw no water to speak of
4. Have fuel, I was inside both sides of the tank looking for swarf.

How would I be able to check if it's gotten water in the tank, I would have though I would have seen it separated inside the tank but I am grasping here. Half a tank probably left since I filled up.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 12:12 AM   #17
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This is very puzzling, most of the codes shown are probably related to your delete this is quite surprising that no error codes are recorded due to the failed start attempts.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 07:29 AM   #18
GrayX5D
Rep

Quote:
This is very puzzling, most of the codes shown are probably related to your delete this is quite surprising that no error codes are recorded due to the failed start attempts.
I agree which is why I'm desperate on here. I've got probably 16 hours in now and no answers. My diesel compression tester arrived today so I guess that's my next step
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 08:44 PM   #19
GrayX5D
Rep

Just took off the solenoid from the HPFP because I was not convinced the problem isn't the pump. Well there was zero swarf in there so fuel does not appear to be the problem. On to the compression test, anyone know the best way to do it? Injector or glow plug?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 08:30 PM   #20
GrayX5D
Rep

Bump, still searching here
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 11:37 AM   #21
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep

Glow plug has threads the injectors do not.
So glow plugs.

You can do a check thru insta to see what the fuel rail pressure is, that will show if it is building up or not.

Also if you ever bleed your fuel system or run out of gas it takes from 5 to 30 seconds of cranking for it to fire off, so maybe do a long hold for 30 seconds and see if it will fire… I know it sounds scary but I have to do it when I change out the fuel filter. It just purges all the air from the lines.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 04:08 PM   #22
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsharma@yahoo.com View Post
I know it sounds scary but I have to do it when I change out the fuel filter. It just purges all the air from the lines.
If you're using ISTA, there should be fuel filter prime task you can run. My Foxwell NT530 has that option and it primed the new filter without any cranking delay or codes thrown.

Appreciate 0