BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

06-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #89
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Just another day in paradise here...

Trying to avoid driving the X5 so this was taken from our 7 series.
Attached Images

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #90
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

WOW - that is

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #91
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Reality is nearly everything in this thread stating the AC is crap is just speculative whining without true hard measurements.

Without knowing what the differential is between the intake and exhaust temperatures of the AC, there is no useful information here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2///M View Post
Older refrigerants that are no longer allowed worked better unfortunately.

Have you measured the temperature of the air coming out of the center vent when the car is on max ac as compared to the ambient temperature of the cabin? How much of a temperature drop is there as compared to the ambient air in the cabin?

There should be at least 15 degrees of difference with an ideal of 18 to 22 degrees Fahrenheit. Less than 15 is a clear indication that something is not working right. Anything much colder will likely start to form ice on the condenser and close off airflow, so also not good.

If the temperature differential is correct, then how fast the car cools down comes down to how much heat gain there is before that same air gets recirculated through the condenser again. It is possible that your fan is not moving as much air as it should, but without a wind meter and something to compare it to (another X5), hard to convince the dealer that the fan needs to be replaced.

I would also recommend measuring temperature direct in the sun and through your glass to see how effective the tint actually is. Just because it is dark, does not mean it is rejecting heat. In fact, a really dark tint can cause heat gain through the glass since black is hotter than white (clear). Depending on the tint manufacturer, the amount of heat reduction varies greatly.

Is your sunroof or windshield tinted? If not, consider something like LLumar Air 80 or Suntek CXP80 on the windshield. It really helps alot.

Hope this helps some.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:42 PM   #92
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I have the opposite experience. X5 has outstanding AC. 105F outside, in Carbon Black X5 I set the AC to 72F and had no issue what so ever.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      06-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #93
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Just another day in paradise here...

Trying to avoid driving the X5 so this was taken from our 7 series.
Another X5/7er family!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #94
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

The X5 struggled a bit today in the 120. On full blast but doesn't feel chilly coming out of the vents. Again I had this problem on my 09 335i and it ended up being the evaporator. Perhaps being a 14 it might need the coolant checked and balanced. It was tolerable but decided to take the Range Rover and the baby to her appt. It cooled down much faster than the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #95
shmohawk
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer View Post
Will tinting the windshield with the clear film affect the HUD in any way?
Nope you're all good. I got 3m crystalline CR90 on my windshield, if you really look you can tell it's there, but for all intents and purposes it's invisible and it does not affect the HUD. Kinda wish I had gone CR70.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #96
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Wow, I actually forgot I had posted this thread and come to see it has 5 pages.

Here's the UPDATE as I am pretty bitter on this car.

My car has been at BMW for over a week.

They've removed all of the dash. There's been problems with the re circulation vent not actually working.

On top of it, if you disable the rear AC controls, the AC blower motor has literally double the power in the front cabin. ( This is a software settings in iDrive turn off rear AC control) The blower motor went into a turbo mode up front and moves TWICE as much air. The rear AC vents have always moved air at a pace of a cough.

This is slightly irritating as the Dodge Durango rental car I have with rear roof air and 3rd row seating rear vents blows harder than my X5's front vents. BMW how could you make this possible???

They temped the AC again out of the vents at 70 Degrees no where near cold. Topped off AC lines and still same result.

I took the car back two weeks later for the biggest issue yet.

When I get in the car and hit MAX AC, the display goes to 60 Degrees, shows the fan speed increasing, and no air movement. Nothing. The blower kicks on as low as possible. If you wait 10-15 minutes out of no where it will come on full blast. It has a mind of its own. Turn the car on and off, AC on and off, nothing will get the fans to kick on. I am really curious if anyone elses AC does this!?

The biggest issue is when ambient temps are above 95 Degrees. The car works fine if its below that, so hopefully it has something to do with the system not routing air correctly with all the electronic actuated doors inside the dash. The blower motor not coming on though has me wondering.

Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Last edited by Optherion; 06-21-2017 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #97
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
In Los Angeles and my '15 F5 5.0i would get too cold even in hot weather....now my '17 F85 does the same blizzard like AC blasts but the ventilated seats are my favorite because I get no back sweat! May just be your particular vehicle?
GRRR My buddies 2001 Ford F150 has colder Air. When I went into the dealer, I know people complain "oh my AC isnt cold" but the truth is there are tons of cars out there where people dont complain about their AC. This is the first car I have ever owned where I've thought "this isnt right" sure enough...

Atleast Im glad to hear someones works.

From scientific tests I put a thermometer in the AC Vents.
This Model: https://goo.gl/Vxe5y5

These are the vent air temps on MAX AC, with Re-circulation.

2017 X5 temps after 30 minutes driving. 68 Degrees.

2010 Toyota Tundra after 30 minutes of Driving. 60 Degrees.

2015 Porsche GT3 after 30 minutes of Driving. ... 54 Degrees

Last edited by Optherion; 06-21-2017 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #98
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post

Last week I was told that my system is "functioning as designed", but that BMW is aware of isolated regional issues with the AC performance in the X5. Of course, they also all acknowledged that the AC system in the X5 is the worst of any BMW on the market. They gave some suggestions on how to get more air out up front, but they involve closing rear vents. That isn't something I can do living in AZ with 3 kids under the age of 8.
FAUCK I got the same advice! It works, but its absolutely unrealistic. Paid all the extra money for the "rear seat controls" which are now... useless... what a joke!
      06-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #99
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sounds like the prudent course of action for you is to ask BMWNA to swap out your X5 for a new one. Those torn apart dashes never, IMHO, go back together to factory specs...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #100
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
In Los Angeles and my '15 F5 5.0i would get too cold even in hot weather....now my '17 F85 does the same blizzard like AC blasts but the ventilated seats are my favorite because I get no back sweat! May just be your particular vehicle?
GRRR My buddies 2001 Ford F150 has colder Air. When I went into the dealer, I know people complain "oh my AC isnt cold" but the truth is there are tons of cars out there where people dont complain about their AC. This is the first car I have ever owned where I've thought "this isnt right" sure enough...

Atleast Im glad to hear someones works.

From scientific tests I put a thermometer in the AC Vents.
This Model: https://goo.gl/Vxe5y5

These are the vent air temps on MAX AC, with Re-circulation.

2017 X5 temps after 30 minutes driving. 68 Degrees.

2010 Toyota Tundra after 30 minutes of Driving. 60 Degrees.

2015 Porsche GT3 after 30 minutes of Driving. ... 54 Degrees
Wow.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #101
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Previously owned an F15 50i, since the climate here is hot 10 out of the 12 months, I can tell you the A/C is good, but not very good. Sometimes during summer (around 48 degrees C, 120 F), it would completely block - when at max the air is blocked and it feels as if something is standing in the way. At other times it would be a freezer.

I had it checked a few times at the dealer but they say there is nothing wrong with it. I think it has to do with the way the A/C is designed, which is stupid for a premium SUV.
Exactly what my car Does.

2017 x50i. Outside temps above 100 and it absolutely happens. I wish it were as easy as everyone thinks with driving it around, center vent on blue, parked in the shade idle, or 100 mph on the freeway. All the same.

Dealer believes we have narrowed down the issue. Im being extremely vague so when I get the car back Ill go into more detail. However it absolutely makes sense in a logical form. Ac is very simple. Hot side, cold side, and blower. Only thing in between is the airbox which "intelligently" diverts air at its own.

But good luck getting BMW to admit that.
      06-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #102
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Previously owned an F15 50i, since the climate here is hot 10 out of the 12 months, I can tell you the A/C is good, but not very good. Sometimes during summer (around 48 degrees C, 120 F), it would completely block - when at max the air is blocked and it feels as if something is standing in the way. At other times it would be a freezer.

I had it checked a few times at the dealer but they say there is nothing wrong with it. I think it has to do with the way the A/C is designed, which is stupid for a premium SUV.

What is the humidity when it "blocks"?

If you have very high humidity and temps, and your AC setting is just right, the water condensed out of the air will start to freeze on the coils - stopping cooling and air flow. We have the high temps but low humidity - AC performs very well. Phoenix has high temps and low humidity as do we - but some failures reported there. Texas at 98/85 is miserable - strong AC performance reported there.

I think Putin has hacked the BMW Connected Drive to wipe out our enjoyment of our cars !!!

Last edited by Apple Corps; 06-21-2017 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 12:51 AM   #103
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

OP it was interesting that you good ac in the 7 series. I test drove a 2017 7 series 740e in 33c and found the ac no better than my X6!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 02:29 AM   #104
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
What is the humidity when it "blocks"?

If you have very high humidity and temps, and your AC setting is just right, the water condensed out of the air will start to freeze on the coils - stopping cooling and air flow. We have the high temps but low humidity - AC performs very well. Phoenix has high temps and low humidity as do we - but some failures reported there. Texas at 98/85 is miserable - strong AC performance reported there.
Usually between 60-80% in summer. You do have a point which kind of makes sense, but it genuinely feels like something inside is blocked and stopping the air flow rather than freezing and blowing plain air instead.

The problem is that I haven’t noticed this problem with any other BMW, just the F15, which at times got me thinking it might be an “efficiency” trick, but having the hot climate version it definitely doesn’t make sense.

Quote:
I think Putin has hacked the BMW Connected Drive to wipe out our enjoyment of our cars !!!
2017 F86 X6M - Donington Grey
2024 F95 X5M Comp LCI - Isle of Man Green
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 02:31 AM   #105
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:

2017 x50i. Outside temps above 100 and it absolutely happens. I wish it were as easy as everyone thinks with driving it around, center vent on blue, parked in the shade idle, or 100 mph on the freeway. All the same.

Dealer believes we have narrowed down the issue. Im being extremely vague so when I get the car back Ill go into more detail. However it absolutely makes sense in a logical form. Ac is very simple. Hot side, cold side, and blower. Only thing in between is the airbox which "intelligently" diverts air at its own.

You're lucky your dealer went through all that trouble. I've been a loyal customer with my dealer for almost 9 years and they refuse to admit there is a problem with the AC. Their only response is "this is the way the AC is designed".
2017 F86 X6M - Donington Grey
2024 F95 X5M Comp LCI - Isle of Man Green
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #106
sjv
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15

Quote:
Quote:

Any updates from dealer on AC issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #107
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
I suggest that any owner who feels that the AC system is not properly cooling their car to call BMW NA. 1-800-831-1117 Open up a complaint with them and you will be assigned a case manager.

However, in my case, BMWNA was completely worthless. They said that they spoke with the regional engineer who reported that my system was "working as designed". I asked that BMWNA put in writing that I should close my rear vents. They refused to provide that. I asked that BMWNA put in writing that my system is working properly. They refused. I asked to speak with my case manager's boss, they refused. He said that his supervisor was "not in a client facing role" and could therefore not speak with me. lol

I am working directly with my dealership for resolution, however, I do believe that this is a design flaw for hot weather locations.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #108
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Car was in the shop again for a week. Got it back and been testing for a bit. A lot of parts were replaced, recharged and put back. The air is a definitely colder. I took temperature measurements around the vehicle and it is in the acceptable levels of blowing "cold" air at the vents. However with the thermostat set to 60 MAX, after a hour it drops the interior from 104 to 85. Mildly comfortable. No one is going to get in this thing in and complain its cold.

I worked with my service adviser and the best way we were able to get the coldest air was by disabling the "rear AC control" setting in the iDrive vehicle settings entirely. The AC blower kicks on to a high speed and the air is actually 2-3 degrees colder at the front driver/ passenger vents. (No air flow to the back) Anyone can use a temp probe and verify this.

Also to note for other users:
After driving for 45 minutes I temperature logged my AC vents at 59 Degree air temp. I let the car idle in the driveway for about 20 minutes, and then took a temp reading again, with exactly the same AC temps. System is stable when idling regardless of vehicle speed.

I also did a cold start the following day. Outside temp 104. Let the car idle for 15 minutes in the driveway and air temp was 60 at the vent without ever moving the car.

Currently in testing with multiple temperature sensors. I shouldn't have to go through all this scientific effort after 15 years of BMW ownership and living in this same climate. I am still on the fence that my X5 has the worst AC of any car I have ever owned. Im starting to wonder if theres enough air flow for the cabin size or why it cant entirely cool down the car.

To throw the biggest wrench in the entire loop. My rental 2017 430i would freeze my butt off. Much smaller cabin space obviously. Sigh. Tomorrow I'm going to drive a friends Black on Black Dodge Durango which has the in roof rear air. It puts my X5 to shame with the AC cooling. I am also going to use another 2017 x35i for side by side testing. Stay tuned.

If anyone else lives in a climate with 100+ Degree daily temperatures and AC issues please chime in.

Last edited by Optherion; 07-05-2017 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 02:39 AM   #109
Gilly1964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 30d MSport

If your problem is volume of airflow it may be worth pointing out that my F15 does not operate like my old E53, which, when you put it in auto would do the lot - temp and air flow.

The F15 never seems to boost the airflow beyond the fan speed setting you select manually, even when you select auto.

My experience is that if you set the fan speed to max whilst the climate is set to auto, it will use all available air flow if it needs to, but if your fan speed is set to anything less than that, it won't and will peak at your selected setting.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #110
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Are any of you closing your sunroof when it is hot? I've tried that and it appears to help - that huge piece of glass really heats things up. That isn't a solution obviously but has helped me in a pinch. It is really odd the thing won't go to max automatically when the X5 is that hot. Don't remember any of my F15s doing that.
Appreciate 0